Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    A
    My ds is 7 and has been moved up to 3rd. With a possible move to 4th grade math until Dec. and then 5th grade math in Jan. However, we have a unique situation. My ds is attending a virtual public school this year. I think I would be really worried, just like you, if he was attending a brick and morter public school. I hope everything works out.

Kathy-TX

O
    O
    I was wondering why it's questionable to do above grade math in regular class? I'm new to all this.

I don't want to sidetrack this post. I'll try to put together many of my bits of questions and info from my many posts so you can get a better understanding of our plan. I feel like the Math is going to be ok. He may need more challenges so if I keep him in class for Math, it's not so bad if he is pulled out for something else like keyboard lessons.

warning - my new post will be long. I totally understand if nobody wants to go thru all this. Post: above grade math in regular class?

B
    B
    Yes, we are still here - hack hack cough cough - BLAH! Thanks for asking Dottie :-) This thing is nasty - we are going on day 10 and we still are dealing with it - blah....DS6 is almost back to normal but is a massive "snot machine" (as he calls himself) and mine turned into pneumonia and went straight to my chest so I sound like a freight train but am starting to feel like I am heading back to the normal side (if I ever was normal) :-) DH was able to get on Tamflu immediately and he was completely cleared in less than 2 days and left for Japan on a business trip (oh does he owe me big time!)....

DS6 is heading back to school on Monday and I am BEYOND stressed.....this past week even though we were sick, there was NO stress like I had been going through the first 2 weeks of school...we asked a request for him to be moved into the new first grade classroom that they are starting up due to over crowding and the principal called me yesterday and said they are not moving any children that have IEPs even if the parents are requesting it :-( So we are stuck with this teacher who very obviously wants nothing to do with differentiation or changing her way of making all kids do the exact same thing...she sent us an email note and said that DS6 will have some work to make up that includes review of the alphabet letters and placing the numbers 1-20 in order....I just wanted to yell through the computer and say, "come on....my son has known this stuff since he was 4 and you are going to make him complete makeup work on stuff he has already way beyond mastered". DS is upset thinking he is going back to doing all boring work tomorrow...so my stomach is just curdling :-( Why does it have to be so hard!

I'm a bit late, because DD6 started school last Monday, but I thought I'd chime in.
    I was dreading the first day of school because we've moved states and DD's entering gr 2 due to a grade skip last year mid year. We know virtually nothing about the school she's going to except that they have full day gt program starting in gr 3.
    After a week of school I can say that my dread has not gone away, but has stayed right where it was. Her reading book is almost identical to the one she had last year (it was easy then, so it is going to be even easier now. frown ) The math she's brought home is also the same as she did last year.
    Science is a "special" subject so they only have it 1 day a week, and at the moment they are learning about saying no to violence. Which, I know is important, but it is definitely not science. crazy
    She has already complained that 2nd grade is too easy and that she really doesn't like her new school much.
    We have a possible change in the future though that hopefully will be better. (More on that once I get more info.)

A
    A
    I dreaded school due to DS7's issue with transitions. Last year, I had a constant stomachache on days they were in school. The first day they went (Thursday), sure enough, I had a stomachache.

They are doing wonderfully though. The Special Ed teacher chose their teachers for them this year because of what she saw as strengths in their relationships with the children. That seems to be working so far.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM