Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    #53319 08/23/09 06:57 AM
    OP Offline
    I found this game which seems to be similar to Lure of the Labrynth. It teachers pre-algebra and ALgebra I concepts in a first-person video game format. I haven't played it but thought others might want to give it a try and report back.

OUch, didn't realize you had to buy it. blush So far I only see school site license but will inquire about individual pricing.

http://www.dimensionm.com/

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 08/23/09 07:04 AM.
    We're always looking for these types of games LMK what you find out. Thanks.

JB

Well, I did find the demo links. I'm waiting for the email verification to try it out. I did find that you can purchase it right online. Maybe it was the multiplayer that was a school site license?

JB

OP Offline
    ah thanks JBDad, I found the individual pricing! I'll register for the demo for the pre-algebra game.

Hmm I didn't have any email verification. It sent me an email immediately and it is now downloading.

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 08/23/09 09:36 AM.
    Interested in your thoughts on this. I let DS6 play the prealgebra game for a little bit (basically a tutorial on the coordinates system). A little more arcade/game than education at this point. But then again DS's coordination might be an issue for a fast paced third person style game.

JB

Huh. Lure of the Labrynth looks pretty good. Have you played it? We might try that later today.

JB

OP Offline
    Yes we've played LofL. I think it's pretty good. I need to play some of the games myself. My 6yr old has just started playing it. If you want to follow your son's progress, then you need to sign up as an educator. that took them about a week to send me. Then you get this administrator tool and you can manage more than 1 kid, see areas they've mastered, how long he played each game etc. But, if he starts playing now, then you become an administrator, he has to start all over. So if you like that sort of thing, I wouldn't let him get too far before you get the administrator tool activated to your account. My 9yr old is pretty far into LofL. My friend's 9yr old just finished it. There are parts to it that I needed the cheat sheet for lol.

I wonder how much of the demo was more of the game aspect to get people to come on board? Perhaps the whole game has more of the math aspect? the reviews were just glowing. If you look at the topics covered under hte pre-algebra module, it looks good on paper.

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 08/23/09 10:29 AM.
    That's definitely a possibility with the demo game. Timez Attack was a little like that. I know we need something new. TA is very old hat at this point and DS can do elementary algebra. I'll look into this more. Thanks for both suggestions!

JB

OP Offline
    DS9 and DS6 played the pre-algebra Evolver demo. It involved perfect squares, prime numbers, and odd-even. I didn't see anything about coordinates in this demo. It was a fun way to bring up those topics w/ my DS6. I don't know if it's worth $70. I'll have to take another look at the website later.

Ah, you're right. I downloaded both the pre-algebra (Evolver) and the algebra demo (Dimenxian). The algebra demo had the coordinate system at the beginning.

I was relatively impressed with Evolver. There are two things that might be an issue for us: (1) the video was a little choppy and the mouse was too sensitive. I was trying to adjust that. (2) it's probably more advanced game-wise for DS6. The math he could handle. The game-playing part of it might be a little beyond him at the moment. That being said, the same was true when he started playing Timez Attack. In the beginning I did the controls for that game, and he just did the math. Now it's second nature to him. DW suggested (as I was evaluating the game) that would likely be true for this game as well. He's been begging for Timez Attack to have squares, primes, negative numbers, etc., so that part of it is a really good fit.

I'm going to try out Dimenxian for a bit this evening.

Evolver would be a slam-dunk at $30 (same as Timez Attack IIRC). At twice that price it is inline with an xbox game but it makes it a tougher call.

JB

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM