Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    My child is a talker. And not just a little chatty, but a non-stop talker. He was a late talker, but I feel he's still making up for lost time. Ever since he started school, that's been the main topic regarding performance. He does great, no behavior problems except for the talking. We've tried to help him with understanding that he can't run his mouth all day long, his teachers have tried. So far, no one has been able to get through.

I always thought maybe it was because he didn't have enough to keep him busy concentrating on other things. I don't think that's it. He's been accelerated and of course, it's still an issue. He's got the gift of gab. One of his teachers a couple of years ago said "he's just got so much going on in his head that he's got to get it out". I'm at a loss as to what to do. Of course, I don't want to see him get into trouble at school, but I wonder if that might not be the only thing to get the point across. I think his teachers have tended to overlook the talking or he's had minor consequences that haven't really been a problem for him. I'm sure his talking is disruptive to others, even though he's not the only one participating.

Any suggestions/ideas for helping a loquacious child be quiet?

J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by master of none
    Is your son 9? If so, I think they are still pretty forgiving at this age when kids are learning to work in groups, etc. Have you figured out why he does this? Does he talk when nervous? Is he more interested in the topic than in good communication? Is he a good listener? Is he impulsive?

Yep, he's 9 - how did you guess? He's in 5th grade now and his teacher has already brought it up. I don't think he's working in groups at the time...I mean he's at a table with 3-4 other kids, but I don't think it's group work, know what I mean?

I haven't figured out why he does it, he just does. He doesn't talk any more when he's nervous than when he's not. He's not a great listener, although his 1st grade teacher told me that he could chat non-stop with attention directed elsewhere and still respond appropriately to whatever she might have asked. He is impulsive and always has been - we've been working on thinking about things before doing/saying them. He's quick too, he jumps around from topic to topic and back again - it's hard to keep up if you're not used to it.

Originally Posted by JDAx3
    He's not a great listener, although his 1st grade teacher told me that he could chat non-stop with attention directed elsewhere and still respond appropriately to whatever she might have asked. He is impulsive and always has been - we've been working on thinking about things before doing/saying them. He's quick too, he jumps around from topic to topic and back again - it's hard to keep up if you're not used to it.

That sounds just like my brother-in-law. Unfortunately, he's 32 and still doing it! smile

I'm sorry that I don't have anything constructive to add but I am curious to hear any techniques. I have two boys who talk non-stop too -even in their sleep!

Mom to DYS-DS6 & DS3
    J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by sittin pretty
    That sounds just like my brother-in-law. Unfortunately, he's 32 and still doing it! smile

Sooo, you're telling me there's no end in sight? grin

Originally Posted by sittin pretty
    I'm sorry that I don't have anything constructive to add but I am curious to hear any techniques. I have two boys who talk non-stop too -even in their sleep!

Reminds me of when DH and I first got married. He reported that I talk in my sleep. Then he wise-cracked that he isn't sure why that surprises him. Apparently he feels that I talk a lot. I also sing and hum. I guess that is a form of Motor OverExcitability. I just wish I could loose weight from all that motor activity.

Anyway. I have no good ideas, but do try teaching him to touch type. See if they will let him text message to a journal during school hours. My grandfather taught me a fingerspelling alphabet, and that was fun for focused wiggling. I've heard that Extroverts talk to find out what they think. LOL, that sounds like me.

about 25% of the time, when i'm posting here, I have no idea what I'm going to say, and when my fingers clack the keyboard, I'm very thrilled at what comes out! Always nice to be suprised!

good luck, actually, I think that DS's self control clicked in at age 10. He learned to whistle on his 9th birthday, and kept it up nonstop for the whole year. Inhale and exhale.

Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM