Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    C
    C
    Thanks Melissa. I appreciate all of the volunteer time that you are putting into getting this to work well for all of us.

R
    R
    hi melissa
    i started by DD5 accidentally at 2nd grade level (her brothers grade), so it started her at 1.6.. she is not even in K yet.. but she did do great on the first lesson (85%). But i'd like to backtrack and see the names of the K lessons to make sure she knows the concepts. But i only see first grade lessons.. thinking maybe there are no real K lessons as this is for gifted? not sure. Also, do you know if the curriculum is spiraling (repeats concepts but in greater detail every so often)?
    thanks, and this is a wonderful tool!
    irene

R
    R
    is anyone doing the EPGY now? i am having trouble getting past, Welcome (childs name)!.. the link to get to lessons seems to be not working .. have tried several times.. hoping just a momentary glitch.
    irene

R
    R
    NEVERMIND! mY GOOF!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    To see more about the concepts covered please go here.

http://epgy.stanford.edu/courses/math/M0WA/index.html and click on the grade.

I agree that it pretty much starts at 1st from what I can see but begins with a review of basic K concepts when I compared it to my Singapore Math books. Hope that helps! The recommendation is that 80% correct is a good place to shoot for as far as level goes. 50% and less you would want to move her down.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    C
    C
    I followed chris1234 instructions on looking up previous grade material. However, somehow I did not find the 'set' concept under grade 1. i.e. Which is a set?, Empty set, Equal sets, Union of Sets. Neither under Grade 2 for: Finding sets of numbers satisfying two inequalities, Set notation for finding sets .e.t.c.

In short, I did not find the Set Concept under grade 1 or 2. Can anyone assist me in locating this topic? I presume that the Lesson Contents are completely covered in the program.

W
    W
    My son did sets at the beginning of Grade 3. Empty sets, subsets, adding sets.... etc.

I realize that EPGY is recommending getting 80% correct. Having worked on it, I actually think that is too low, at least for my son. At what seems to be an accurate placement, he scores about 90% overall. Higher in some areas, lower in others. To pass their final, you have to get 85% (I think. If not, 80%) . The student effectively gets two chances at answering the question, so at the first attempt 80% makes sense. But at the second time around, I think it needs to be higher. On the calendar/sessions area, you can replay the sessions and see how what percent your child is getting on the first and second attempt.

A
    A
    Incidentally, we are also using the expensive version currently at Grade 3.5x. The "Set" concept is formally introduced in Grade 3, but informally in the lower grades as "Counting in Groups". The titles of the concepts are somewhat overkill for the actual materials introduced in the lower grades. Our experience with the questions is that either you know how to work out the answers or you don't. There are essentially no tricky questions at all. So the progress is like a period of near 100 %, until the next unfamiliar concept; and then after mastery, another period of near 100 %, and so forth; in particular, since the program allows 2 attempts for each question, careless wrong answers are reduced to almost zero. We find that the learning process is more efficient to complement the program with some offline tutoring on the unfamiliar concepts. Overall, the breadth of the concepts introduced is richer than other sources that we have encountered.

Thanks Melissa and Chris for their effort and time in volunteering for the SSA.

So far, not bad. Yesterday was our first day. Took some time to get our home computer to work, but figured it out. In filling out DS7s info I used grade 4 and age 7. The program started at 3.5. It is somewhat easy but a good start for understanding the program and how it works. We will keep moving forward, and see how it goes.

DS now 7, hasn't done any math since being out for the summer. He forgot his multiplcation table's. The math race is bothering him a little. I like it as a review tool, he likes the game, he is just upset that he can't remember.

We also did our first session tonight. I wish I had known that I should have not put DS6 at only grade 2. He started at level 1.5 and told me it was "too easy". He got 100% in his 20 minute session. I think I might wait until I can move him up a few levels before I have him do anymore.

Also the language arts says LAW1 but when we run the course it is asking him to take a 6th grade test. Just guessing he did get a few right but he definitely needs to be at level 1 or 2 for this...

Last edited by crisc; 08/11/09 05:25 PM.

Crisc
    Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM