Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 76 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 75 76
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that day #1 was at least enjoyable enough for DS to look forward to day #2. wink I'm off to pick him up (nice getting off of work in time to be home for him).

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Welp, DS didn't do a thing in K today (according to him), but he told me all about lunch. Ha! I had both his teacher and his parapro come up to me when I picked him up (he's a car rider, but due to the mad chaos on the first day, I parked on the street and walked to the entrance). His teacher said he was so well behaved and can tell already that he IS smart. Nice that she noticed on the first day. Now hopefully she's up for the challenge! smile

E
    E
    Originally Posted by JJsMom
    His teacher said he was so well behaved and can tell already that he IS smart. Nice that she noticed on the first day. Now hopefully she's up for the challenge! smile

Thanks for the update. Here's to hoping his teacher will try to meet his needs...!

S
    S
    Originally Posted by JJsMom
    His teacher said he was so well behaved and can tell already that he IS smart. Nice that she noticed on the first day. Now hopefully she's up for the challenge! smile

LOL, My DS almost always scopes things out before acting out. That's how he is. He looks around for that one kid that is acting out and wants he finds them he starts in. If there isn't one he usually does okay (but there always is at least one) I am hopeful he will get a few good days in there of good behavior....long enough for the teacher to like him and see that he can do it. That would be really helpful.

JJsMom - sounds like a good first day! Is he excited to go back tomorrow (or, at the very least, willing)?

shellymos - I think that's the key - hoping your DS is well behaved for long enough to the teacher to like him! We're hoping that here too.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    shellymos - the good thing for me is that DS is usually that cute boy with all the ladies, so he rarely has time to be with the class clown. DH was questioning DS's "tastes" a few years ago (not that it matters for us personally), but he's just the smart boy - getting in with the ladies early. wink wink

and st pauli girl - he's now asked to ride the bus everyday, so he's at least willing to go! ha. i really won't be surprised if they decide to have a parent/teacher conference earlier than expected. wink

M
    M
    JJsMom - does sound like he had a decent first day. I hope he does well on the bus. That bus thing scares me as well. Luckily there are some older neighborhood boys who treat my son like a little brother (in a good way! wink ), and I've already been told by their mother that they will look out for my son.

M
    M
    I'm finding you late, but I'd love to join this group as well. Great idea JJsMom. Glad to hear your little one had such a good first day.

DS5 starts K Aug. 31. I'm very nervous that he's so far ahead of most of the other kids that he'll get ignored/not have any reading partners, etc. Do you think that's necessary? Our school has lots of kids enter K who don't yet know letters, so wide variety of skill levels.

DS7 is at same school, 1 year accel. He's happy. But DS5 is reading somewhere in 2nd grade level already, best I can tell, and is about 1 year accel. in math. Have never had him tested so will be interesting to see what teacher has to say. I'm kinda worried the K teachers won't even have books at his level in the classroom (something DS7's 1st grade teacher tipped me off to in June).

I just keep reminding myself that he's gotten this far learning with me, so even if K is a bit of a throwaway year, he'll be fine. Can you tell I'm nervous! ;-)

I
    I
    I've been out of town and am just now catching up on some updates.

JJsMom - sounds like a really positive beginning of school. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it stays that way!

Thanks to everyone who posted. I'm really enjoying reading about all of the starts to the year.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Well, of course, after yesterday, who knows what is next... either DS isn't getting enough sleep at night or he's not telling me something... or maybe I've "misdiagnosed" him.

*sigh*

at least his fit was at home and not at the school. whew.

Page 7 of 76 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM