Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    W
    W
    My son if working on EPGY math now, although not yet through this open enrollment program. Those bar graphs are repetitive but I really don't think much else is repetitive in the third grade (my son is at 3.5) if the math level isn't too easy for your child. I definitely think repetitiveness is a sign that it is too easy. EPGY is set up to do about 4 problems in an area. If your child gets them all right, it skips to the next area. If he misses one, then you get a bunch more problems. I often warn my son to be careful or else he'll get a bunch of repetitive problems.

When we started this summer, my son was at 2.0. Way too easy. After a weekend, they adjusted it to 2.5. He no longer complained about it being easy. Now at 3.5, he doesn't breeze through it anymore. He actually has to think and work through it. He will not move through the 3rd grade as quickly as he did the 2nd. I think it is just a better placement although I do not regret doing the end of 2nd grade. EPGY covers some algebra and geometry concepts that my son has never seen before.

C
    C
    That's good to know. The bar graphs seem to have done four of one kind, then four of another, then another bunch or two that were similar but slightly different. I did check and she's gotten 100% on everything she's done so far, so I don't think that the repetitiveness is due to her missing problems. The work is just too easy right now and she has limited patience for doing even four or eight problems that take time and are not teaching her anything new. Then again, she also gets rather upset if she doesn't know the material so the problem may be with the kid wink!

W
    W
    If it is just too easy, have her moved up. That's the whole point with teaching her yourself.

Although my son also got the graphs correct, it was not super easy for him. To click on something 15 times and to read a small graph accurately without making a mistake can be difficult for him. I was guessing that the graphs were testing for that. I actually think the EPGY is helping my so with his carelessness because he realizes that missing a question slows down his progress. Then he can't get to something novel. So, he is learning to check his work.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Wei-I
    If it is just too easy, have her moved up. That's the whole point with teaching her yourself.
    That's the problem. I don't know how to get her moved up other than to have her continue to complete the 3rd grade material and show that she can do it so they move her up to her current grade. There doesn't seem to be an option for setting it to 4th grade or anything above 3rd grade. The grades higher than 3rd are shadowed such that you can't click on them. I could, however, set her for a lower grade although I don't want to do that either.

Hi Cricket, I can take a quick look and tell you what page exactly I was on, see if it's the same one you are trying to change the grade on.

Ok, I was here, but afraid last time I just saw the list of grades but didn't actually change any, and now I am not sure this will work.
    Click on the date next to a course. Click on view report.
    Click on concepts summary. Click on any concept areas your child has already started on, these will be shown in black, a pop up comes up. There is a place to change grade and/or concepts. I think if they proceed on this screen and answer all questions in a section correctly they may get bumped up.(based on some of the other posts here)
    For instance if they are in 3rd, and you select 5th grade on this screen and they get them right, I am hoping this will move them up.
    If someone has more info on this, please post while we wait for a bit more info from Melissa.

Last edited by chris1234; 08/10/09 04:50 PM.
    C
    C
    Thanks. I tried this briefly and will get back to it later when dd is less tired and more up for doing a reasonable length session. That is the screen where I can click on the drag down menu of grades, but all grades above 3rd are shadowed out and cannot be selected. I can have her do all of the problems for grade 3 for those concepts she's started and see if that gets her to grade 4, though.

W
    W
    I'm not sure how to move it up. I was and still am using the expensive version of the program where you get a TA and tech support. They just moved him up for me. Also, they didn't even hesitate to think that he needed to be moved up. So it must happen all the time and we should definitely figure it out.

I do know how to answer those draw a segment, draw a line geometry questions, if anyone finds that they need help on that later.

Wei-I

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi everyone. I just wanted to post and let you know that we are all in the same situation. My DD is signed in for 4.5 when she is in 6th. The program automatically starts everyone a half a year behind based on age, like mentioned, to make sure there aren't any missed concepts. As to changing grade levels:

I have tried to contact EPGY repeatedly in the last week. Marie is in Vancouver at a conference and unavailable until Monday August 17th. I am scheduled for a webinar on the 20th of August to learn how to run the program. I received a call back from someone else at EPGY yesterday and they only gave me the same message.

Once Chris and I get the training from EPGY, changing the grade levels and material covered is supposed to be point and click simple but is done on our end, not in a screen you will have access to. It will require you to email one of us and we will adjust it, like Wei-l mentioned above with the EPGY tech support.

I am very sorry for the delay. Had I realized this would be a problem for so many of us I would have waited to send out the emails with registration information, and would have waited another paycheck to enroll myself.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I also wanted to add that I am still trying to get a hold of someone else at EPGY while Marie is gone to see if this can be resolved any sooner.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Thanks Melissa for checking on this. I haven't even had DS6 start yet since I know he wouldn't be interested for long at the 1.6 level.

Crisc
    Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM