Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    R
    R
    hi guys
    i just read chris's response and it sounds like it starts at current grade level- but for both my kids it started on the subtraction lesson which is 1.6. My DD5 is going into K and MY DD7 is going into 2nd . So I don't get how that correlates to grade-i hope it is doing both of them as individuals..not at same child.. I can manually adjust, but not sure how to know what % they are getting. Maybe i am missing some parent help links or something.

I have not started, but I placed DS7s grade level of work, not his actual grade level. I will know more on Monday when we start. I am still at Boy Scout Camp this week. No phones, but I do have internet, very differet.

Renie, I figured out how to adjust now, too.

I found the summary and reports - if you go to the 'start course' page, but don't click on 'Run Course', there are other links, though not too obvious. Click on the date of last session for a course and you get to the reports, and other info.

Q
    Q
    I can manually adjust
    and
    I figured out how to adjust now, too.

How do you do this? I tried changing grade level on profile, but that didn't work. How do you move up a level or part of a level? Can you pick and choose what you do, or do you need to go through everything in order?

I know I'll get some answers next week, but if you already know...

Thanks.

R
    R
    thanks all

at this point i can see the progress, i really like the calendar which shows how many minutes they did work that day. nice.

the only real issue i have now is that its tough to switch between my two children.. when i re-login with new user name and password it says welcome to the right child's name but the progress and the lessons are for the first child. I am going to fool around more with it. maybe i'm not logging out properly or something. if anyone else has issues with this pls. let me know what you find.

questions, i'm not sure about moving around yet either. My DD7 finished a lesson, and i'm curious what will happen when we go back into it.. will it move him up, or do i chose the one to do next, we'll have to see...

irene

Q
    Q
    Oh, that part is all automatic. My DS just finished LAW 2-6 on our own, and it just moves up bit by bit. I'd like to pick and choose what gets done in math. Long ago, he did 3rd grade math through CTY (now, they have a dash of color, a bit of music, and Mr. EPGY says "awesome," and "YES!" lol, instead of "correct," "good job," "yes.") At least they're trying to update it. I want to get to all the set theory that we haven't been able to find elsewhere. I'll wait to hear from Melissa.

btw, they told me to always be sure to log off and log out. That will probably help with the two children - although it might be your computer keeping web pages or something.

C
    C
    Nevermind about my prior post. We've got her registered.

We did give a brief try with math but it has her enrolled in the 3rd grade math -- I guess based off of age (she'll be a young 4th grader), but I did state that she was in 4th grade when I registered. The math is rather easy, though, and she doesn't like repeatedly doing things she knows (like 15 bar graphs) to show that she can do it and get moved up to a harder level.

Last edited by Cricket2; 08/09/09 07:33 PM.
    Hi Mel

Sent PMs, but they may have gotten lost in cyberspace. We are still interested, but have not received the e-mail about how to sign up yet. Please advise! Thanks!

Sharon

4SLee

C
    C
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    Renie, I figured out how to adjust now, too.

I found the summary and reports - if you go to the 'start course' page, but don't click on 'Run Course', there are other links, though not too obvious. Click on the date of last session for a course and you get to the reports, and other info.

I've figured out how to get into the reports as well and dd did get 100% on the math problems that she did last night. It does seem to have moved her up very slowly automatically in those areas where she has done problems (level 3.52 rather than 3.5 in the areas where she hasn't been presented any problems yet, for instance).

I do not see how to manually adjust the level up, though. I did go in and change her grade from 4th to 5th (which is not accurate actually) to see if that would move her math settings up from mid-3rd grade, but it did not. I really would like to start her at 4th grade math not 3rd. Does anyone know how to adjust this?

Q
    Q
    I believe Melissa is looking into this. Looks like the program starts half a year behind the grade level. I, also, tried to adjust the grade level, but once the program has been started, it won't move up on its own. Ideally, I'd like to know how to skip forward, as the program moves very slowly and is surprisingly repetitive, or at least that was our experience a couple of years ago with third grade math.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM