Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    R
    R
    hi edwin,
    thanks for trying to help, but i'm not seeing the geometry lesson at all. It just says its loaded in another window. but nothing is loaded in another window. Can you tell if its a pop-up or what? any clues about how it works would be helpful. I am a programmer and i'm ussually good at figuring this stuff out but this has me stumped and i can not move past it (can't load another lesson).
    thanks
    irene

Does anyone know how fast your DC can progress through a level at 100%? Like many of you, the starting level for my DS is too low because he is at 97% (with most errors occuring b/c of learning to use the computer mouse). It seems that within a few sessions, he's progressed 0.5 yrs. Does that seem reasonable?

Frankly, he's having fun and still learning to use the computer (he's never used one before 'cuz I'm a weird mom) so I'm not too concerned about the level unless he'll be stuck here for months.

Yes, I'm also aware that Melissa and Chris will be able to manually change the level next week. Just wondering if it is worth it . . .

P.S. Thanks to Melissa and Chris for serving as our admins!!!!

Mom to DYS-DS6 & DS3
    Originally Posted by Edwin
    Example to divide a circle with a line, you must highlight the two points of inetersection with your mouse. Then choose the line from the rigt side of the screen (Not the segment, or you will get the problem wrong) Once you have the line passing through the circle, you then click on the part that says you are finished (I forgot the name of the actual button) It may then ask you to name the line. If you click on the line Q it will add in the information automaticly. Then press enter. We had to do it wrong a few times until we understood how the program worked. If this is what you needed, I hope it helps. If it is some orther issue, I propably would be of no help. Best of Luck

Edwin

Thanks! Ds got two similar questions wrong because this part isn't very intuitive, good to know how to do these now.

Sittin Pretty - from everything I've read, it does take a while for a child to move up, and probably in most cases would be worth moving up manually so a child doesn't get uninterested in the program. I hope we do get the training asap, since my ds is 'stuck' too. smile
    We are taking this week to do some multiplication fact review since he seems to have forgotten a bunch of that...so back to 'timezattack' for a bit (guess the totally non-academic summer so far/video games did turn his brain to mush!)

Renie - we had a similar issue while using Google Chrome browser, so I just switched to the IE which I already have installed. The popup was visible after I allowed them, but the drop and drag functionality was not working.

If you switch to IE you may still have to 'allow' popups.
    If you know how to do this, please make sure they're allowed...or you can PM me about your particular browser and we can see if we can get it figured out together. Or at least it'll be a good question for when mel and I take this web-training. smile

Originally Posted by sittin pretty
    P.S. Thanks to Melissa and Chris for serving as our admins!!!!
    You're welcome!! And thanks to all others chiming in with helpful hints too smile

Last edited by chris1234; 08/14/09 03:45 AM.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by sittin pretty
    Does anyone know how fast your DC can progress through a level at 100%? Like many of you, the starting level for my DS is too low because he is at 97% (with most errors occuring b/c of learning to use the computer mouse). It seems that within a few sessions, he's progressed 0.5 yrs. Does that seem reasonable?
    Dd, who will be 9 in a month and a half, was started at level 3.5. She'll be starting 4th grade next week (at school). She has done a few sessions and it seems to be moving painfully slow on moving her up despite her having gotten 100% on virtually everything. For instance, she has done 44 "integers" problems and has gotten all of them right -- 100% on that whole section. The integers section has only moved her up to level 3.53.

Her math levels are currently running at:
    Number Sense: Integers 3.53 100 % ( 44 / 44 )
    Number sense: decimals & fractions 3.52 100 % ( 4 / 4 )
    Geometry 3.50 N/A ( 0 / 0 )
    Logic and Reasoning 3.50 N/A ( 0 / 0 )
    Measurement 3.52 77 % ( 7 / 9 )
    Data/Statistics/Probability 3.50 100 % ( 9 / 9 )

She messed up two of the algebra sentences ones on the measurement area, but that one is still set higher than data, for which she has 100% on the same # of questions, so I'm not quite sure how it is making decisions here.

So, overall, she's at 96% correct -- similar to your 97%. I'm glad to see that yours is moving up faster, but .03 grade level increase off of 44 questions correct is too slow for us.

W
    W
    The integer section is, by far, the most extensive section. Having started at 2.5, you can see from below that most of the questions are integers.

Number Sense: Integers 3.56 97 % ( 757 / 780 )
    Number Sense: Decimals and Fractions 3.60 93 % ( 123 / 131 )
    Geometry 3.56 85 % ( 188 / 221 )
    Logic and Reasoning 3.56 91 % ( 157 / 172 )
    Measurement 3.60 91 % ( 144 / 157 )
    Data/Statistics/Probability 3.63 92 % ( 94 / 102 )

If you think it is too slow, it probably is for your DD and your placement isn't accurate. For my DS, he hasn't had that much exposure to the 3.5 integer questions and, even though he is getting them correct, he needs the practice. So, I'm not too concerned that it's moving slowing.

By the way, the 2nd grade accelerated much faster. I wonder do they have more questions with every grade level.

C
    C
    Wow, you're kiddo has been busy! I'm going to have to get dd to do more problems if we want to move her up it appears. The biggest issue that we've had is that she knows everything they've introduced so far and her patience for doing the work has been slim. The one area where she missed those two questions was due to inattentiveness and just clicking on something quickly to get it to move on.

We do certainly need to work on paying attn, though, and being more patient.

Although the pace currently is a little slow, DS7 has stuck with it. Time of use about 361 minutes, and has moved from 3.5 to 3.9. Note this is not at 100%, more like 95%. He has completed 646 exersices He misses some, mostly careless, or not understanding what is being asked. Much of the set problems are new, Union, Intersection, etc.. Its easy but the terms are new.He should be doing 4th next week. So far he is ok with it, I am sure that it will get more dificult. I did like the beging of proofs part. Good foundation stuff. His motavation has been equal video time for math and reading time. I know some may disagree with it, self motavation and all, but it seems to work.

Adding some more info
    DS7 has the following still to do
    Measurment 8 Lessons
    Logic 8 Lessons
    Fractions 2 Lessons
    Geometry 5 Lessons
    Integers 26 Lessons
    Statistics 1 Lesson

Assuming 5 problems per lesson (Big Assumtion)
    260 more problems, about 2-3 more hours.

I know this is not apples to apples comparisons, but it may be of help for thouse looking at the work still left to do.

Last edited by Edwin; 08/14/09 12:55 PM.
    S
    S
    Hi Melissa,
    I just found out about this thread.I have been trying to gather enough people for 2 months to start a group.I was wondering if there is more space available for my son to join the open enrollment program through your group.That would be awesome.
    Thanks in advance,
    sunitha

Update on number of problems for 3.5 to 4.0. Appox 900 problems.

Holy cow! K (0.0) to 1st (1.0) was only around 400 problems.

Mom to DYS-DS6 & DS3
    Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM