Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    R
    R
    edwin,
    how did you get to the math race? I did not see it anywhere, but it would be a good tool for my DD7.
    irene

C
    C
    Math race comes up for us every time dd clicks on run program for the math class. She has to do it before she can get into the math questions with the automated voice. What grade level math is your dd doing at this point? I wonder if it is something that only comes up at certain grade levels. My dd is currently set for mid 3rd grade although I'd like to move her up a bit.

I belive the math race is for 3rd grade and above. DS7 worked on it last night for about 2hrs. I am still having some computer problems, Lock ups, partial page downloads. I am pretty sure its on my end. Too much junk in our computers. DS7 likes the program, he understands how it works. By the end of the week I may stop monitoring. Some of the math, espesially the part on Sets is new to him. I also like the way they break down word problems.

W
    W
    Math races also occur at the 2nd grade level. At 2nd grade, it is addition and subtraction. My son is in the middle of 3rd grade math, but still stuck around 2.65 in the math races.

Unfortunately, my son is not completely self-sufficient on EPGY. I often do a piano lesson or something else with my little one, while my son in doing EPGY. He calls me if he has a problem either with something he doesn't understand or with something on the computer. It is still the most efficient way of teaching math. The program is engaging. My son loves it. And, it teaches abstract and difficult concepts.

R
    R
    hi melissa,
    I am currently getting a message when we run the math program:

G1.590E1 Geometry Construction Exercise is running in a separate window

however there is no separate window, and we're forced to quit the session.

I feel this may be a bug.. was wondering how you'd like to get contacted with this type of stuff (or if i should contact them directly). let me know.
    irene

Q
    Q
    irene - those are pop-ups. You have to allow pop-ups. Look at your toolbar or go to internet options.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Just so everyone understands - all tech support or problems with the EPGY open enrollment must go through myself or chris123. Anything we can't answer we will contact EPGY to resolve. The only problem right now is that until training is done we can't DO anything. The catch 22.

The best way to make sure we get your requests is to email us directly at the email you see when you log in on the EPGY website. With all the time involved in this right now and the beginning of my new school year I am not able to check in on this board as often as I usually do. I am trying to check my emails regularly.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    irene

Did you certify your computer on the EPGY website? If so did it pass all areas? This is the biggest problem with tech support and the first thing everyone should do if they haven't already. Please refer to the bottom of this link for information on how to certify your computer and how to view reports.

http://epgy.stanford.edu/district/seminars.html

This is a good reminder for everyone to please review these links, they contain much needed information for the program.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    R
    R
    hi melissa
    i wrote you an email with the particulars, but i'm still not able to do any lessons as I can't get by the geomoetry lesson issue. Its not pop-ups, as i have lots of those and they are not blocked.
    I am runnign on Firefox. Is anyone else out there having issues with using Firefox browser?
    irene

Hi Renie

I am using both explore, and Firefox. I am having some issues, but I belive then to be issues with our computers. In regards to the geomoetry lesson it took us a lille time to figure out how the controls work.

Example to divide a circle with a line, you must highlight the two points of inetersection with your mouse. Then choose the line from the rigt side of the screen (Not the segment, or you will get the problem wrong) Once you have the line passing through the circle, you then click on the part that says you are finished (I forgot the name of the actual button) It may then ask you to name the line. If you click on the line Q it will add in the information automaticly. Then press enter. We had to do it wrong a few times until we understood how the program worked. If this is what you needed, I hope it helps. If it is some orther issue, I propably would be of no help. Best of Luck

Edwin

Last edited by Edwin; 08/13/09 10:11 AM.
    Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM