Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 76 1 2 3 4 5 75 76
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by JJsMom
    EastNWest - I have the same concerns about PS K with DS5. He will be going all day, but if he's too bored, watch out!

LOL! wink

I think half a day K is a better choice than a f/t school. Look at it more like a PreK. The child still gets lots of down time and has time to follow his/her interests. I think full time K which doesn't offer any accommodations is probably the worst match. That said DS6 attended a half day Montessori for K and it was still a disaster.

Originally Posted by Kriston
    And you know I'm reading your posts with interest, LMom, since we might end up homeschooling two kids, too, with many of the same personality issues you have... eek

You better not even ask me about it in September. I am sure within 2 weeks I will dream about a nice boarding school for both of them eek We figured it last year with DS6, I hope we can do the same this year. I expect the first month to be quite challenging though.

LMom
    ROFL! Fair enough. No questions for LMom until at least October. grin

And JJsMom, I LOVE the variety here. Honestly, the reason I come back to this forum is because it's darn near the only public forum I've found where people support one another's school choices without trying to "sell" the one their kids are in as "best." I think that means we can get more objective info to help us make choices for our own kids--the real scoop, as it were, about the pros and cons of every possible path. That is so valuable!

Kriston
    What a great group! We are HS DS4 (January b-day) since our local law prohibits him from being in public or private K. (Darn birthdate cut-offs!) Our hope is to have him enter 1st grade in 2010 at a public school with a strong gifted program (if we can get the administration on board for "acceleration").

Mom to DYS-DS6 & DS3
    Count me in! DD4 (October b-day) will be starting K full time at a private school. She already knows the teacher because DD6 had her before being skipped to 1st grade. So there's already a great relationship. I'm looking forward to the year!

Val Offline
    DD4 is one of the ones who'll be skipping kindergarten. She has a very late August birthday. In some ways I'd rather let her skip 1 next year, but she's big, mature, and ready, and we figure a skip in the hand is worth two in the bush in her case. That tooth she lost recently will help her fit right in.

Val

Last edited by Val; 07/29/09 07:07 PM. Reason: Hit the submit button by mistake!
    I'm in. DD5 is skipping K and going to first. She is reading third grade level work, so it will be interesting.
    I will be nervous about the skip anyway, because I am always nervous before the first day of school.
    Thanks!

W
    W
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    And JJsMom, I LOVE the variety here. Honestly, the reason I come back to this forum is because it's darn near the only public forum I've found where people support one another's school choices without trying to "sell" the one their kids are in as "best." I think that means we can get more objective info to help us make choices for our own kids--the real scoop, as it were, about the pros and cons of every possible path. That is so valuable!

This is one of the things I love too. I think it is because we all understand that our kids are the exceptions to the rules and need what they need when they need it to an even larger extent than other children. Having to live with it myself makes it easier for me to understand how difficult the choices can be.

DS5 is starting K after Labor Day. Since the school tested him in the spring on the WJ-III, he has really taken off in math, and he's starting to show interest in spelling now. The principal told us they would hand pick a teacher and would differentiate, but we haven't yet spoken to the teacher to find out what they plan to do. I'm worried because DS5's K is part of a K-2 center, at a different location from higher grades. So in some things he'll be more advanced than most kids at the school. frown But then again, going to all-day school will be a tough transition, and he's still needs to learn to write/spell better.

Lots of worries about what might happen, but nothing to do until we get there!

E
    E
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Lots of worries about what might happen, but nothing to do until we get there!

wink Aye, that sums it up for me.

Page 3 of 76 1 2 3 4 5 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM