Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 76 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 75 76
    W
    W
    I"m relatively a new member and still don't quite understand why people use the DD jargon. But, I'll give it a try since I found this thread quite interesting . . .

We moved into an area with supposedly great public schools in Southern California and, as our DS5 (currently) got older, we realized the the public school would not be able to accommodate his skills. We put him in a private school that has an early K program and that individualizes instruction, and the school does do a pretty good job. Over the summer, we tried Stanford's EPGY math program and DS5 loved it. He is doing math at the 3.5 grade level and when I brought the Stanford program to the private's school attention, they immediately agreed to work it into their curriculum for him. In fact, they wanted to further research the program to see if it would be appropriate for other students.

Now, I have a little less to worry about in terms of his engagement and placement at least in math, and we are looking forward to starting Stanford's English program once he turns 6.

Also, hoping that our plan works.

W
    W
    Originally Posted by Wei-I
    I"m relatively a new member and still don't quite understand why people use the DD jargon. But, I'll give it a try since I found this thread quite interesting . . .

The reason I have heard is that it is a way to keep children's names off of public forums to both keep them safe and protect their privacy, the entire don't give away person information bit. However it gets confusing to me to keep track of which DS5 is which and I've found I can follow the trials and tribulations of the kids that are identified by nicknames or initials better so I nicknamed my guys for that reason. It also allows me to focus on personality over age.

S
    S
    DS5 is starting out in First grade in the fall, but this will be his first "real" school experience. He was in a montessori program for about 9 hours a week for most of last year, but that is about it. So we are excited, but obviously a little anxious. Hope I can still join in even though he isn't officially going into K. : ) I am hoping that there is much success for our children this year and that we all can be the advocates that they need.

W
    W
    There are a lot of kids starting K on this forum. DD4, turns 5 end of Sept, is going to the Jesuit school. They will accelerate, but that is only after they are there. I am not worried about that -- figured DD will tell the teacher she is bored enough times. But I am focused on extra-curricular like the piano and the mandarin to fill in.

I also see the mix in her brain. A few days ago, she turns to me and says 3X3+3 is 12. But if I gave her an equation, she might just look at it. She was calculating how many weeks of swim camp she had. She did 2 sessions of 2 weeks each, then broke for oceanography and tennis, and is doing another session of swim camp. She is walking along and figures it out.

Based on the research, the full IQ isn't known until around approx 7 right, or really until after the puberty development. So I want to feed her needs on several levels, just not the math and reading. She can do that at advanced levels. But if I give her Mandarin lessons and the piano, it will do the synapse thing in other areas, and give her extra skills in the increasingly competitive world.

A
    A
    We had our first official kindergarten function tonight. I think it went pretty well. We got a few comments about her being 4, like is she ready to which I wanted to answer "no she is not ready we just want to torture her), but I just politely said that is what we have told and left it at that. She did not look terribly small compared to the others, many of whom will be 6 in the fall. She was not intimidated by the other kids but did not seem terribly interested in playing with them but this has always been life with DD. Not exactly a social butterfly until she warms up. I so hope this is the right move, goodness knows I have stressed about whether we are doing the right thing for months now. Please send us your good thoughts! I want this to work out so so badly.

Originally Posted by shellymos
    Hope I can still join in even though he isn't officially going into K. : )

Of course, you can. I don't really consider DS5 to be K since he's going to be homeschooled.

LMom
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Absolutely, shellymos...

And we had our teacher meet n greet today. It did NOT go very well, initially. I don't think that DS realized how many kids will really be at school. His class size is really small, which is good. But he knows no one in his class. He does not have a hard time making friends at all - but with us, his parents around, he plays the "shy" game. I know he was overwhelmed because he was not prepared. So I sat him down and explained to him what is going to happen, as far as going to his class first, what happens at lunch, when he has PE, and where he goes for that, etc... he left with all smiles and even asked for a Spirit t-shirt.

Whew. This is the ONE thing that keeps me from pushing for him to skip. He's not immature, and he makes friends easily, etc... but he has his OE moments for sure.

Oh, and his teacher was actually EXCITED for me to tell her that he's reading at least 3 grades above & doing math at least 1-2 grades above. When I told her if he starts to act up to challenge him (or feed him - lol), her eyes lit up. So I'm going to sit down and write her a short (I cannot overwhelm her now! LOL) note describing what we've been learning over the summer, etc... I know nothing about any of the K teachers at the school, but hopefully we got a winner.

M
    M
    We went yesterday to enroll DS5 for K and I love the vibe I got from the school! It was such a difference from the school DS7 went to. The new school was very welcoming and friendly, the Principal, who was in the office when we got there, spoke to all 3 kids and barely raised an eyebrow when the kids explained that only DS5 was enrolling because DS7 homeschools. DDalmost3 asked him if she could go to school there now, lol.

We'll have open house in 2 weeks and we'll get to meet his teacher, DS5 can't wait to see his classroom!

S
    S
    Originally Posted by JJsMom
    When I told her if he starts to act up to challenge him (or feed him - lol).

I love it, so true. Both of those work for or DS5 a well. Of course I hope that they truly can challenge him, because if not they may be surprised if he keeps acting out. I am concerned with DS just because of his behaviors. His behaviors were fine in his montessori school....but there were like 10 kids and 2 adults. He will have over 20 and only one adult. That will be quite a change for him, and I am thinking not a good one at all. I am almost 100% there will be some behavior problems this next year, but I am hoping and praying it is manageable and they continue to work with him.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I was concerned about the class size too. Do they not have parapros where your DS is, shellymos?

When looking for DS5's name on the teacher assignment sheets, I noticed a few of the K classes had longer lists than others. There are 7 K classes at his school, which sounds like a lot, but there are less than 800 kids total in the school, which is not much around our metro area. But having 7 K classes allows the school to keep really small class sizes. DS's class list was the second smallest, which I was EXTREMELY excited about. There are like 12 kids with a parapro too. It's not uncommon to find schools with 25 kids per class around here, and his pre-K class had 20 kids and 2 teachers. So at least he will not be overwhelmed in that aspect. I just hope he remembers to continue the progress he made with respecting the fact that not all the kids in his class will be at his level. In pre-K, he started out being that kid that blurted out all the answers and answering for other kids when they took too long or got things wrong... but his teachers were excellent, considering the limited amount of extra things they could give him, in giving him more responsibilities and challenges and helping him realize that everyone learns at a different rate, it's ok to get things wrong, etc...

I did find out that our county is now listed as "needs improvement" by the NCLB standards this year. Sadly, the county as a whole used to be the top rated in the state (way back when I was in school). DS's school is not a "failing" school at all, but because of this ranking, we have the ability to change him to any county school of our choice (as long as there is room now - after the registration/class assignments have been completed) without having to jump over mountains (i.e., reasons of "hardship" or the school itself being a failing school) to move DS if need be. I have heard wonderful things about the school in our district - at least the elementary school, but it's REALLY nice to know the option is out there!

Page 5 of 76 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM