Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 44 of 268 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 267 268

Mr W got to go to Ikea for the first time last weekend.

Inside, DW and W found a set of those wire tree toys. Mr W has loved these since he first saw one. He enjoys moving all the buttons over to one side then pushing them all back over. The really large ones keep him enthralled for hours.

Mr W and and 3 year old boy were working the toys. Mr W would solve one, then go to the next. Then he got to the toy the 3 year old was on. Mr W desperately wanted to play with it, but stood by, waiting for the 3 year old to finish.

The 3 year old then noticed that Mr W had a pacifier. And he immediately reached out and tried to yank it from Mr W's mouth.

With his teeth clenched onto the pacifier, Mr W pulled the 3 year old's hands off him, and very clearly yelled, "NOOO! Bad Boy!!"

A
    A
    Not really a "brag" but more of a cute/funny moment. Shopping in Cosco with DD4 who currently has a summer cold. DD4 sneezes loudly. I say bless you. DD4 very loudly--"Mommy I think I have the Swine Flu--I have all the symptoms." Me "no it is just a cold." DD4 "No mommy I am pretty sure it is the swine flu." The aisle cleared out pretty quickly. If only it was in the check out line. We have got to work on timing:)

M
    M
    A couple of Groucho-isms for the week:

As I mentioned on the other thread, I am trying (lamely, in several senses) to put together a woodshop for the boys (it will go better--I hope--once I can walk properly again!). They had seen a sign on somebody's playhouse that said, "Boys' Club, No Girls Allowed"; they thought they'd like to have a sign for their shop, but they didn't want anything like that ("Why have a sign like that? Girls are nice!" say my little bunnies). They've been reading about the English Civil War lately, and Groucho decided what should be on their shop sign: "Cavaliers' Woodshop; No Roundheads Allowed!" This cracked us up.

Tonight while I was making supper, Chico and I were amusing each other by making funny faces. Groucho caught one of mine (it was meant to be a gingerbread man, don't ask me why), and he said, "Goodness, Mummy, you look like something from a horror movie, or maybe even a wine critic!" This also cracked me up.

peace
    minnie

M
    M
    Cathy, Dandy, alli, Austin, Wyldkat, great stories!

Long live the brag thread!!

Great stories all!!

I don't know if this is really a brag, or more of a 'that was weird, right?' kind of thing, but... Recently, I injured my foot and decided to go in to ER and get it x-rayed just to be certain I hadn't broken anything. DH and DS (*just* turned 2) came along and amused themselves wandering around the hospital corridors while I waited to get my foot looked after.

First off, they had to go out to the main lobby to find a juice, and DS was able to navigate back to where they'd left me... DH would just say 'okay, now where do we go?' and follow him. This is in a big, old, labyrinthine city hospital where I'm sure adults get lost all the time.

But what was really freaky was that on another of their wanderings, out of several dozen nondescript, lookalike closed doors they passed, there was ONE place that DS stopped and insisted "Go in there? We go in there?"... at the breastfeeding clinic where I'd taken him twice, at six and eight days of age. Those were the only times he'd been in that building at all, prior to my foot injury. (And yes, the BF clinic's door was closed and it didn't have any pretty pictures or mum-and-baby posters or anything enticing outside). It defies my imagination that he could possibly have remembered the place, but it would be an equally odd coincidence.

A couple pages back I mentioned GS10 reading 4 pages of questions about dogs in preparation for showing. He won his age group for showmanship, smile , the judge had to ask him a question that was not on the pages to stump him! He would have had a perfect score in showmanship otherwise.
    Did you know an adult dog should have 42 teeth? GS10 now knows it, haha.

S
    S
    DD2 has recently started surprising us with things. I just realized last night that she can count objects now. Before she would "count" and just keep going, but I watched her discover it last night and I thought it was pretty great seeing how quick she figured it out as she pointed to items in a book. It was also pretty neat because while I hate getting the "he is so smart" comments about DS5 that he gets ALL the time, I actually felt quite happy when DD was getting a haircut yesterday and the hairdresser was surprised at the things that DD was saying and the things that she knew since she had just turned 2. She commented "wow, she is a really smart little girl" I think it is the first time I have heard someone say that about her. I hear how cute she is all the time, but it made me happy to hear that it's not all about DS (even though it has always been hard to miss with him).

And she is getting quite the personality and is so creative and funny. Today she had a big reaction on her arm from a bug bite and she was laughing pointing at it telling us that there was a little frog with glasses on, on her arm. (At first we were a bit concerned she was hallucinating since she has been sick with a high fever since yesterday...but she wasn't that hot at the time when she said that. And then we were a little concerned again 5 minutes later when she randomly said "where did the music go?" when there had been no music playing, LOL). She makes us laugh.

O
    oli Offline
    O
    During few weeks I have been amazed with DD and puzzles. 2 mo ago she was just getting into jigsaw puzzles and still needed me to help her with them. Then she suddenly mastered the 9 piece, 2 weeks ago 12 piece and now last night I saw her doing two 24 piece ones without any help. Those are really not that easy anymore, of course adult can do them easy but they do require some thinking compared to 9 piece ones. She is 25mo now. It looks so easy too, like it would be normal for a 25mo old to do.

S
    S
    That's great Oli! DD2 hasn't quite gotten the jigsaw type puzzles down yet, although she likes them and does great with other puzzle type things. I think it is neat that some kids do the puzzles so early. DS5 likes to go on jigzone and do puzzles on there from time to time.

Page 44 of 268 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM