Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 76 1 2 3 4 5 6 75 76
    I third that. eek wink

Kriston
    I
    I
    Hi all! This has grown into such a great group!

I wanted to post an update because dd5 had her "kindergarten evaluation" today.

Just as a little background (since it's tough to keep everyone's details straight) ... dd5 is heading into full-day kindergarten at a private gifted school. She also attended most of pre-school there, so the teachers should be somewhat familiar with her. However, I felt concerned that dd could throw the evaluation with silliness or lack of effort and not be placed in the appropriate, challenging reading and math groups (which is a major reason we're sending her to this school).

Anyway, on the positive side, dd did take the screening seriously (I asked the teacher afterward - and she confirmed "no silliness"). However, that's as much feedback as I got from the teachers (there will be two kindergarten classes - dd met with each teacher for 10-15 minutes, one did reading the other math).

When I asked how it went, dd5 did give me a pretty detailed reply. She said she read a paragraph aloud (she told me all the details of the story) and then the teacher asked her some questions. DD5 then added, "It was really easy. Much easier than reading a fairy book!" (her favorite thing to read). She said the hardest thing she did in math was, "23+34" - which she also declared "easy."

So now, I'm past my worry of whether dd will throw the screening. And I've moved on to my worry that dd will be an outlier even in her gifted school. She said they never asked her to do any more advanced math (double digit subtraction, "carrying", multiplication, division, fractions -- all of which she can do). I'm calming myself with the idea that maybe they just need to screen her enough to put her in the "top" group ... and then they will continue to assess from there once the school year begins. And I hope no one thinks I mean "top" in any sort of competitive way. All I want is for her to be challenged. And double digit addition won't cut it.

Reading this back, I'm not sure if it's TMI (or maybe I'm being sensitive after reading too much of the bragging being discussed in another thread). I want to make sure I'm contributing information/stories/concerns that are of interest of the group. Someone please (gently) lead me back on task if I'm not. blush

Originally Posted by Irisheyes
    Reading this back, I'm not sure if it's TMI (or maybe I'm being sensitive after reading too much of the bragging being discussed in another thread). I want to make sure I'm contributing information/stories/concerns that are of interest of the group. Someone please (gently) lead me back on task if I'm not. blush

Seems to be good information to me- not TMI. If your dd told you the questions were easy, she likely told the screening teachers that too. Hopefully, they were good listeners. smile

PS. TOTALLY jealous that she is even getting double digit addition in K. Wow! (Although, I know you and dd won't be satisfied with that.)

Mom to DYS-DS6 & DS3
    I
    I
    Thanks for the feedback, sittin pretty.

I guess my expectations are high because my tuition bill is high as well. crazy

DH and I never planned to send our kids to private school. But we felt this school was such a good fit for DD - and we didn't know where else to turn.

S
    S
    IrishEyes, so glad your DD took her assessment seriously. I had similar worries about my DD either not taking her IQ test seriously or being too shy to say anything at all. We tested independently, and as you know those tests are not the cheapest thing in the world. She was very responsive and worked hard at it though, so we were very relieved.

Your school sounds really nice! It might take them a few weeks or so to really get a feel for what she needs, but I would *hope* a gifted school would be able to accommodate her needs. The gifted schools in our area are not the cheapest either, so I understand that you would want to get your moneys worth!

I didn't think your post had inappropriate information. That is what this board is here for, after all. To discuss all the aspects of getting our kids the things they need. smile

R
    rdrsquared guy
    Unregistered
    rdrsquared guy
    Unregistered
    R
    Originally Posted by Irisheyes
    Thanks for the feedback, sittin pretty.

I guess my expectations are high because my tuition bill is high as well. crazy

Irisheyes-That sums up our story perfectly. We had to write the tuition check this week, it was so painful I personally took it up there to give it to the admission director. I wanted to be very clear that we are putting and a lot of trust in the school to deliver what they promised.

DS4 will be starting k this year, decided on private after no less than 6 visits to the school(think we set a record smile ) plus several chats with our public school. We tried to make public work for us but unfortunately our school district is the pits and GT program doesn't start until 2nd grade.

Kiddo is really looking forward to the new school so we are hoping for the best. I made the mistake of taking him with me to drop the check and he thought it was the first day of school so he had a minor breakdown when after a brief campus tour I announced it was time to leave.

Looking forward to hearing everyones stories this year.

My biggest worry--and the reason I keep chiming in so much!--about the bragging thread is that people will feel like they shouldn't post or that they're being judged. Personally, I don't want ANYONE to feel self-conscious here! frown It defeats the whole purpose of this forum!

Seriously, Irisheyes, the reason this forum is here is for just what you're doing: so you can talk about your child in a way that is constructive for you and for others in a place where people get what you're going through. PLEASE don't question yourself!

I am glad you're through the testing stress. Phase 1 complete; time to move on to the Phase 2 stress. wink

Our testing is next week, though since it's not a GT school, he'll be asked to name the letters and numbers and that's about it, unless they've changed the test a lot since DS8 went through it.

I'm not stressed. Not about that, anyway... Lots of other worries... eek

Thanks for the update! smile

Kriston
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    DS5 gets to meet his teacher tomorrow. I think that I'm more nervous than he is. I just hope she is the right fit for him!

I
    I
    Best of luck, JJsMom. We'd love to hear back on how the whole thing goes.

A
    A
    I am in and very excited to have a group of other parents dealing with the same issues. DD4 (March birthday) is starting kindergarten in two weeks. It is a private school with very small classes. It is supposed to be individually tailored to each child. She is reading fairly well and while she tested higher in verbal than math she surprised me the other day while sitting at the train station in London on vacation when she spontaneously said mommy did you know that four sets of three make twelve. I think she was bored and counting things. Anyway that seems more advanced to me than kindergarten math. I am going into the year hopeful that the school will be a good fit and that they will work with us. I want so badly for it to work out even though it is much more expensive than were planning on. Fingers Crossed.

Page 4 of 76 1 2 3 4 5 6 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM