Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 289 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
    M
    M
    Thanks for the sanity check. I did provide them with the WISC III, a COGAT, a STAR (CA), and an OAT (OH) tests/standardized tests. All of the test results ID her as high IQ, high ability, and high achievement. It seems with these administrators, the grade is carrying the most weight.....When did 81% become a failing grade????

I'll let you know how it shakes out.

M
    M
    In this school system, an 81% is a C, it's not a "B-" until 84%

T
    T
    Originally Posted by martini43
    Here's my problem: The last school system didn't have a GT program. So, they took my 6th grade daughter and placed her in advanced 7th grade math (pre-algebra). This year, the school system has an "in school pull out" program once a week called "Signet" but they don't want to place my daughter in Algebra, because Algebra is 8th grade math! So, I'm frustrated. Her grades in 7th grade AP math were so-so (81% for the year), but she passed pre-Algebra and should be moving into Algebra. The school administrators are saying that she has to take 7th grade pre-Algebra and point to her medicore grades to justify their decision.

A couple of questions you might pose to the district:

1) Is the 7th grade math they would put her in comparable to an AP level pre-Algebra?

If the class is not comparable (slower paced, less breadth or depth) then you might point out that it's problematic to base the decision on her previous score, since that score represents her handling of more complex/difficult material.

2) Is there a minimum acheivement score that their seventh graders need to earn in order to advance (as 8th graders)to algebra? In other words, if she finished this year with an 81% in their 7th grade class, would that prevent her from taking algebra as an 8th grader. If not, you can raise the question as to why they are concerned about her ability to keep up with the class.

3) You might ask whether their policy would have been the same if the previous school had grade accelerated her rather than subject accelerated her. Would they require that she repeat her 7th grade year?

4) You might ask whether or not the district has an end of the year test for 7th grade math. If so, you could request that your DD be allowed to take the test and that the results be used to determine whether or not there are weaknesses evident across the 7th grade math curriculum, or only in 1-2 targeted areas (in which case a quick remediative approach could be taken).

How does your DD feel about all of this? Did she finish last year feeling confident that she was ready to go on to the next level in math, or is she feeling shaky about it?

Sorry to hear that you're starting off having to struggle with your new district. I hope the situation resolves quickly--and positively. Good luck!

A
    A
    Maybe the issue to explore is why she got an 81% in the first instance. Was it failure to show all her work (a common issue with gifted kids who skip steps but arrive at the right answer), sloppy mistakes that had nothing to do with mastery of the material but rather lack of attention to detail, or a failure to complete all assignments. These are things that can be "worked" on at any level and repeating the same material would be of no benefit. I think your best chance is to get her former teacher to explain that she is ready to move on despite the grade, if in fact this is the case.

M
    M
    I think the main reason that she scored so "low" (81%) is that she was doing some pre-Algebra as a 5th grader, but we changed schools the summer between 5th and 6th.....New school, new cirriculum, new school structure (Middle School) and she was on a varsity sports team. There were a lot of changes, a good number of stressors, some cirriculum building blocks didn't match between the school systems, and other factors that contributed to her limited success.

Eventually, there developed a quasi-advesarial relationship between the teacher and my daughter because my daughter tended to ask A LOT of questions. Intially the math teacher recommended that my daughter advance to Algebra, then changed her mind about 3 weeks before the end of school.

At the end of the day, I want to act in my daughter's best interests.....Would it kill her to repeat pre-Algebra? Probably not, and there may be some benefits as well. But she did work hard and she DID pass the class afterall.....She is eager to please and thrives on the recognition that she associates with being bright and smart and recognized for her academic abilities. Repeating the class could create a ripple effect that will dampen her thrist for that recognition and allow her to make an excuse to be of average academic ability. This is tricky and I don't want to make a mistake that would limit her in the future.

What are the potential pitfalls if she repeats the class? I don't want to project on her; maybe she would welcome a "breather" in her academic schedule.....Although she did start to cry a few tears when she heard the counselor say that she would be repeating the class because of her grade and because "they only teach Algebra to 8th graders...."

L
    L
    Exactly.
    Success through hard work. Wonderful.
    But in reality it's not like that. Children at a young age are put in baseball, ballet, swimming etc., and, with no extra work being put in, (which is fine at a young age), are 'celebrated' for if they have natural ability, and their achievements bragged about. - I'm even talking 3 year olds here - I'm pretty sure they're not working any more than the early talker.
    I'm not saying parents should 'brag' about either group, just that the one form is accepted - and even encouraged, whilst the other isn't.

M
    M
    The 81% was her end of year grade, but her achievement and ability tests place her in the top 3 percentile of math ability.

I will find out from the Superintendent when I hear back from her if there are other (on-line, individual tutoring, etc) options.

I don't know what the issues are.....the only one articulated is that the 8th graders classrooms are in a seperate hallway from the 7th graders and that the 7th and 8th grade lunch periods are different. I guess it boils down to logistics for the school at the expense of the student.

A
    A
    If it were me I think I would fight pretty hard for Algebra. I think it sounds like she is ready. She needs to feel challenged. I think girls especially at her age all too often get pushed out of the math and science areas. She has the ability and should be allowed to reach her full potential. Logistics are just that, they can be worked out.

M
    M
    Still waiting for the Superintendant to return my phone call....I guess this is a reflection of what I can expect frown

I might spend some time today researching the charter schools in the area. We can't afford private school this year, maybe it will be an option next year.

I'll let you know when I know. Thanks.

M
    M
    Thanks Dottie. To be honest, I'm torn as to how much I should push this issue. There are a lot of things to be learned in school and one of them is a right relationship with authority; in this case the school administrators. It's a lesson that I need to re-study on a regular basis smile

He score was average. I am truly on the fence about having her repeat the class to ensure her success.....I see it as more environmental than ability, her test scores in her math ability are very high. She is 99% on her CogAT (version 6) in math, I believe that is the most comprehensive test she has taken to date. She also had an IQ of 143 on the WISC-R, so the ability is there.

She wasn't as motivated last year as she has been previously. There was no set aside GT program at our previous school. She went from being in a group of academically elite kids to being the girl in the class that "asked too many questions". It altered her outlook on the value of her academic ability and often complained about how much easier her (social) life would be if she wasn't so smart. Wow, between the education system and mean spirited middle schoolers, she's in for a bumpy ride!

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM