Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Dottie and Lorel,

Thank you both. I actually find your posts encouraging. He has the test scores for both the WISC IV and the WIAT II in one area/composite only (the other relevant areas are high but not comparable). However, without acceleration to prove it, how do I demonstrate comprehension and verbal skills except by anecdotes and recommendations? (I suppose the answer has to be by anecdote and recommendation!) And the huge discrepancy between comprehension and academic skills is exactly the educational issue we are struggling with - what do you do with a first grader who tests at basically a twelfth grade level in terms of comprehension and vocabulary, but who is still learning to read, write and spell, and who wants all sorts of advanced material read to him, but doesn't want to take the time to sound out books at his reading level? At least now, I feel better about applying. Thanks again!

Hi,

I am new to this board. Wanted to thank you all as I have found some great information here. We recently applied to DYS program and are waiting to hear.

I have a 7.7 PG daughter. She is now attending a school for the highly gifted.

Anyway, hello

acs Offline
    Hi Questions,
    I also wanted to point out that sometimes our perspectives can be pretty skewed about how "out-there" our own kids can be. Much of my time as a parent is spent reminding DS to pick up his coat off the floor, chew with his mouth closed, and brush his teeth. These are not especially interesting or remarkable conversations. And when he is "being smart" then he us just behaving like I want him to--I enjoy it, but because it's just us having a conversation I don't think much of it.

In fact by the end of each summer, I've pretty much decided DS isn't gifed any more, and then a couple weeks in to school I run into one of his teachers and their jaws are on the floor, they are so amazed with his abilities.

So I guess I'm saying that I don't trust myself to have a clear perspective on what is "years ahead." And if you have a 2E kid, it might be even harder to "know" exactly how far ahead a kid is--but kids don't get scores over 145 on two tests (even it it's "just" subtests) just by sheer luck!

Originally Posted by Dottie
    I can certainly understand deciding not to apply because of not wanting to differentiate between two siblings...

There are many people who have one child in the YS program and other children who are not in the program. I know many people who do not go to the trouble or expense of applying for more than one child. Many of the benefits you receive through the YS program such as the online community and resources can serve all your children even if only one is identified. The only reason I am considering having my second child tested is that the activities at the yearly gathering are open only to YSs.

It amazes me how different siblings can be. I feel that it is important to identify and develop each child's talent. If we can not value each person for his/her individual differences within our own families how can we expect our children to value the differences in people outside of our families.

Summer

Last edited by Texas Summer; 12/02/07 09:29 PM.
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thanks, again, everyone! For the encouragement and the advice. What a wonderful supportive community.

Originally Posted by questions
    And the huge discrepancy between comprehension and academic skills is exactly the educational issue we are struggling with - what do you do with a first grader who tests at basically a twelfth grade level in terms of comprehension and vocabulary, but who is still learning to read, write and spell, and [u]who wants all sorts of advanced material read to him, but doesn't want to take the time to sound out books at his reading level?[/u] At least now, I feel better about applying. Thanks again!

Hi Q (Joke: John Delancey?)
    I face this exact problem, although not as extreame, it think, but the essense when DS11 was in K-2. Afterschool, I read aloud to him, lots and lots. I also borrowed books on tape from the library, from the child, YA, and Adult session, and revisited some of my favorites. I also developed that habit to listening to audio presentations of college classes, "the great courses," and "the teaching company" and DS would occasionally listen along with me if he happened to be in the car.

On DVD there are certian classics, such as Standard Deviants, Cyberkids, and Magic School bus - depending on level, and the "Nature and Science" channels.

I go back over and over in my mind, asking myself what in the world would have worked for my DS, with this particular asynchrony.

a) with a teacher who "got" him, everything would have been easier.
    b) one can just wait it out, hothousing in as fun a way as possible things like typing skill, Math facts, handwriting without tears, while afterschooling in the unschooling style 3/4 of the time to try and keep the spark alive.
    c) homeschool, keep an eye out for "hi-low" materials, which are designed for struggling older students, as suppliment, not great, but at least not as insulting to child's dignity.
    d) create a homeschool coop of some kind
    e) enroll in a school which really, really gets him
    f) let him suffer along, and learn some amazing life lessons, but perhaps at a high price.
    g) Love him, love him, love him. It will seem like the whole world is out to get him, and he needs as many firm allies as possible. This aspect in particular, brought up the feeling of parenting a special needs kid, for us. In a way, he had a driving need to understand the world, but was cut off from information through normal channels, as if blind, and really overrelied on me to 'interperate' for him. High Urge, low ability. KWIM?

BTW - when we applied to YSP, we had test scores and very little else. He was clearly suffering, but not clearly achieving anything, as we went the option "f" route, out of ignorance. (Joke: Where is that big chart that tells you which of your mistakes will work out for the best, and which ones are just really bad mistakes?)

Smiles,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by bianc850a
    Hi,

I am new to this board. Wanted to thank you all as I have found some great information here. We recently applied to DYS program and are waiting to hear.

I have a 7.7 PG daughter. She is now attending a school for the highly gifted.

Anyway, hello Bianc850a! We're glad your here.
    Smiles, Love, Big Wave,
    Trinity

Hello Back

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Welcome, Bianca!

We seem to have a good number of seven year old girls on this board!

How is the gifted school working out for your daughter? Are you comfortable disclosing which one it is?

best wishes-

Trinity-

I got the Q reference! smile Have you seen the Star Trek references on my bellaonline board? ......

Texas Summer-

Yes, you are quite correct about many families feeling very comfortable having only one child in the program. It's all relative, I suppose. Even within families, there are differences. In my family, I think oldest DS wouldn't have minded not being in the program as he did not relish the social aspects of the gatherings. But it was very hard on my dd when she wasn't yet a YS and her older brothers were in the program. DS 11 and DD 7.5 are very close friends, and that made it difficult.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM