Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Isa #5081 11/30/07 04:43 PM
    Belly button?
    Awwwh that's so sweet!
    Trining

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    DD4: "Mom, how does the baby get in your stomach
    Me: "When the mommy and the daddy get married, then the baby gets in the tummy.
    DD4: "yeah, but how did the baby GET in the tummy?"
    Me: "I'll tell you later."
    IN THE GROCERY STORE....
    DD4: "Mom, how does the baby get in the tummy?"
    Me: "I'll tell you later."
    AT THE PLAYGROUND....
    (same as above)
    AT CHURCH......
    (same as above)
    IN FRONT OF TEACHER.....
    (same as above)
    AT SUNDAY NIGHT DINNER.....
    DD4: "Okay, now, MOM....HOW DOES THE BABY GET IN THE TUMMY?!?!?!?!
    I look at DH
    DD6: (piping in with a very serious face) "Yeah mom, I mean, I know the seed is in the man's penis, but how did dad's seed get into you......Did he pee on you?"

DH sprays milk all over the table laughing so hard!! smile

DD's are now 5 and 7 and still like to put us on the spot!!

K
    K
    incogneato - that is classic! Hilarious.

My 7 old last night was a real gem. We are eating at a restaurant. DH had a late night at work so it was just me and the 2 kids (DS7 and DD3). As usual, DS7 wanted to have a lengthy discussion on the finer points of the menu while the waitress was just standing there trying to take our order

ME: Please hurry up and make a decision. She is waiting.
    DS7: Mom - please (rolling eyes). She's a WAITress.

The waitress was NOT impressed with his wit in the least. Ugh. I tried to compensate with a big tip! And our evening closed on a discussion on how we need to have nice manners if we want good service.

Dottie #5090 11/30/07 08:29 PM
    blush
    Oh if only they could be gifted in when to be gifted aloud!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Cousin Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    When I was pregnant with current DS3, now DS6 (who was just 2 at the time, to confuse matters and thereby invoke Confused...) was learning the specifics of body parts. We figured if he knew cranium and tibia and humerus, he could also learn uterus. I actually thought it might be less confusing for him to know that the baby wasn't in my belly, but was in a special body part for making babies. It seems to cause fewer problems of understanding.

At an early appointment with the nurse-midwife, DS accompanied me. The midwife bent down and said to DS, in her best condescending voice, "Now, honey, you know that Mommy's got a baby in her tummy, right?"

DS gave me a strange look, like "You're going to trust this woman?" and politely (but firmly) corrected her: "The baby isn't in her belly; it's in her *uterus*."

The midwife and I laughed our heads off! Her comment: "Well, he's Harvard-bound, isn't he!?"

Nothing like an anatomy lecture to a health care pro from a 2yo! LOL! I stil laugh when I think about it.

Kriston
    J
    J
    I love reading all these stories. Kriston's story reminded me of my DS3. Last year, he fell and hit his face on the ground. He grabbed his mouth and started crying. I said, "Let me see, did you hurt your lips?" He said through his tears, "no, I hurt my maxilla." I said "your WHAT?!" He said, a little uncertain, "my maxilla." And I just burst out laughing with surprise. Still with tears streaming down his face but now his pain completely forgotten, he pointed to the part above his lips and said, "what's this called?" He thought my laughing at him meant he got it wrong.

He's always been interested in the human body. This year, when we announced that there is a baby in my belly, he said with a concerned voice, "I hope the baby doesn't drink your blood. You need your blood." So, I told him that the baby is in my uterus and there's no blood in it, and that the uterus will grow and stretch with the baby, like a balloon, so there will be plenty of room for the baby to grow. He said, "I hope your uterus doesn't get too big and pop. The baby might get startled by the loud noise." The kid has many worries.

junior #5117 12/01/07 04:52 PM
    ...by the loud noise! Ha! Love it! laugh

Kriston
    C
    C
    Well you had to go and invoke me didn cha, Kriston
    So now you have to hear my related story.
    When dd was 2.5 or so she was in a daycare that had a large unisex bathroom for all the kids her age.
    She pointed at one of the boys and said "boys have a p---s but girls have to sit down because their urethra comes out from the vulva."

We had mentioned this stuff only once months before when she asked a large number of body part names and we never discussed the physical relationships between parts and we had never had any discussion of boy parts or differences. Luckily the daycare teacher thought it was funny and very much enjoyed my discomfiture as she told me the story....

J
    J
    Here's another related story: When DS3 was two, I was potty training him and would go to the bathroom in front of him on purpose. One day, he asked me, "Mommy, where's your penis?" I had a ready answer that I had read in a parenting magazine (it never even occurred to me to go into urethra and vulva and all that); I said, "boys have a penis and girls have a vagina." He said, "I want to see your vagina." Well, I actually started blushing. I wasn't about to display my vagina in order to satisfy his curiosity! I said, "Your penis sticks out so it's easy to see but my vagina is... kind of hard to see." Later I heard him explain to DH, "Mommy's vagina is hiding in her hair."

Another funny story from when he was two: We were taking a walk when DS3 stopped all of a sudden. He looked up at me with a mischievous/excited/nervous smile and said, �I stopped.� I said, �I can see that. Why did you stop?� He said, �The sign says no stopping anytime, but I stopped.� I looked up and realized he had read the street sign, �No Stopping Anytime.� He wanted to see what would happen if he disobeyed the sign.

junior #5144 12/02/07 03:52 PM
    These are fun stories! I have a new one to share:

DD age 7, is rereading an adult mythology book for the umpteenth time. I haven't read it myself, and had a parental twinge and thought to ask her, "That's an adult book. Is there anything inappropriate in there?" to which DD replied, "Oh yes, lots of sex. With all different people. I've noticed that the Greek Gods liked to have sex a lot." I could hardly stop laughing, she said in her sweet little voice with such a straight face.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM