Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    We use the US edition. We don't use the CA version I prefer to go with the original version. I believe that the US edition is the same like the original Singapore one with the exception of some of the spelling/names and units. The US edition uses US currency and adds US units (gallons, yards, ...)

DS6 uses the workbooks and Challenging Word Problems, which I find excellent as well as essential. At one point I bought two teacher manuals but never used them. We also have all the textbooks which I use as a reference, if that.

I buy directly from the Singapore Math distributor

http://www.singaporemath.com/Primary_Mathematics_US_Ed_s/39.htm

LMom
    M
    M
    Thought this might help. This is from the singaporemath.com website.

Primary Mathematics Standards edition is an adaptation of Primary Mathematics to meet the Mathematics Contents Standards for California Public Schools, adopted by the California State Board of Education in 1997 for grades 1-5 as one of the approved textbooks. It is similar to the US edition but has some rearrangement of topics and some added units, primarily in probability and data analysis, negative number, and coordinate graphing. The standards edition components are not interchangeable with the US or third edition components.

They have a chart available http://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Primary_Math_s/15.htm#WhichSeriesShouldWeUse to help explain the differences.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    I
    IronMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Okay - so probably Primary 1A and 1B on their site for $9.00 would get DS6 started - and then if he leaps ahead much beyound Grade 1 level - we'll know to advance him faster? It's obvious he knows some Grade 1 math already and doesn't know other things on the school's curriculum for Grade 1 quite so well. Amazon seems to have these books too - and as I have to order other things like Spelling Workout A and B probably from there - I'm trying to figure out whether its better to save on shipping and order everything with the free shipping on Amazon - or still order the math from Singapore. Just found all the "edition" stuff confusing. Thanks for all the feedback!

T
    T
    There's a reasonably good chance that you won't need to start with 1A. You can print placement tests out from the site. They cover the material in the book, so if child breezes through, it's too easy.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by NJMom
    Just to the muddy the waters, we use the U.S. edition because we think that the US edition is more challenging. IMHO, the standards edition dilutes what is so great about the Singapore curriculum because it is designed to cover all of the same topics that the typical US curriculum tries to cover. Although I'm sure that it is still far superior to most US texts, I preferred to avoid the "Mile Wide but Inch Deep" problem.

YMMV, of course.

Have you actually used the Standards edition? I have compared 3B of the US and the Standards edition side by side and I can assure you that there has been no dilution. There are a few added topics and that is all.

We recently switched to the Standards edition because, of all things, my son prefers the color in the textbook. If anything, he is finding it more challenging. I like that the practice and review sets are distributed more evenly through the program.

I
    IronMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Yes - but isn't the non-US one the one that has metric measurements? I don't want him to get confused using metric if the then has to switch back over to USA curriculum standards and measurements. After all, there is a chance he'll have to go back to school at some point - in which case - I'm trying to make sure that he covers the State's requirements as well as has the oppotunity to go deep.

Does anyone ahve the link for the pre-assessment. I finally found a decent PDF version of Saxon's but not Singapore's - put it down to sleep deprivaton and working full time on top of trying to roganize home school curricilum (or you know, we could just conclude that I'm not too bright...)

I
    IronMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_Test_s/86.htm

Oh - dear - answered my own question today- sorry - posting the link for others. Whats the "New Elementary Math" at the bottom of the page about?? Another version?

Last edited by IronMom; 07/27/09 11:53 AM.
    New Elementary Math is highschool math ie starts w/ Algebra 1.

B
    B
    but isn't the non-US one the one that has metric measurements

We have used US version 2A/2B and 3A/3B. It has both US and metric measurements.

I think most schools teach both as well. My older DD has learned both in her elementary school.

Mom to DD9 and DD3
    I
    IronMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks for all the comments. Pleased to report that we tested DS6 on what I think is the more complicated edition - the test is longer ..and he did great - so, probably need to adminster Primary 1B and see what gaps emerge - but its definitely made me consider buying 2A and 2B even though he would only be going into First Grade at school.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM