Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    #50583 07/09/09 02:27 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I'm offline for a few days but just wanted to get the ball rolling here. We are at 17 out of 20 necessary families to apply for group status. (I understand there might be a few interested on the WTM board but am unsure there.) I spoke with Marie at EPGY by phone today so everything is good there. I will be forming the group under my homeschool. Invitations will go out to all families who express interest on the enrollment form. This will help keep numbers reasonable for the SSA's who will kindly be dedicating their time. I am told it is minimal once everything is up and running. What I will need from everyone is the parents name, zip code, email address, and the # of students you are interested in enrolling. I would also ask that you include your screen name so that I understand who is who for count purposes. Please make sure this information is PM'd to me so as not to compromise the online forums. Please realize that this information is being compiled and submitted to EPGY exactly as written. The form can be viewed at http://epgy.stanford.edu/district/interestform.pdf

When I get back next week I will review them and see where we are with the numbers and post a list of the screen names so that I know I have everyone. Thank you all for your time and especially your participation! smile

Last edited by melmichigan; 07/22/09 06:45 AM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you!

Last edited by melmichigan; 07/22/09 03:22 PM.

W
    W
    My family is definitely interested. I just enrolled my son in EPGY for the summer and he loves it. I was thinking about rounding up enough interest amongst friends and I saw this posting.

I
    I
    They flyer doesn't really explain what this is, or the age necessary etc? Is it for a summer school study group?

R
    R
    Hi Melissa
    i probably missed it but i'm not sure how to contact you. i usually just post on the board and i don't see your email address. I am still interested in the program for my two children.
    irene

Here is the original thread with a bit more background for those just finding this thread...

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/50559/1.html

Also, I think if you just click on melmichigan (the screen name) you should see some options, including 'send PM'. this will start a sort of email you can send her.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Here is the message I posted on the WTM board to answer questions, maybe it will help here.

I just spoke with Stanford EPGY the end of last week. I am starting a homeschool group under my homeschool, I am registered in my state and homeschool with a non-public school determination from the state. You would be joining the open enrollment program under my homeschool "district".

This means that you will have access from EPGY to all their online class materials. You will receive tech support from those in the group who have volunteered to learn the necessary troubleshooting from EPGY. They will become the SSA's for the group. You, as the parent then take on the role as teacher. You are NOT purchasing an individual class from EPGY, to do that (and you may on your own) you must first apply, your child must then meet their requirements and be accepted before you can enroll. Then you would deal with EPGY. Those classes start at $495 a quarter I believe it is. In this program you are purchasing access to the materials only, for $135, for the year. The SSA's will contact EPGY on your behalf with any access problems if they are unable to resolve them.

The program is open throughout their "year" but obviously the sooner you sign up the more you get for your money. That is why I have been pursuing this since I found out of it's existance and the interest. I have to have 20 families express interest in order to submit to EPGY for group status. For more information please visit the link http://epgy.stanford.edu/district/ you can toggle away from that page in the EPGY site to view more information. For more information about the individual program (seperate from this offering) or to view samples of the materials visit the link at http://epgy.stanford.edu/

Also, just to be sure it's clear, once you receive your email from Stanford EPGY you will create a login and pay on their website. They will then generate your account. I will not be accepting any money. In that email will be the information for contact with the SSA's for help you may need with the program.

Hope it helped.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks Chris!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    We are now passed the necessary 20 families!

Anyone else who would like to be added please PM. I will be hoping to wrap this up and submit to EPGY this week.

Last edited by melmichigan; 07/20/09 02:41 PM. Reason: update

C
    C
    Thanks for getting this all together. I'll peruse their website a bit more to see what exactly we will have access to. It sound like we just use the material like a homeschooler and don't submit anything to them in terms of completed assignments, though, right?

I edited this a bit as it seems I can answer my own questions by actually looking at their website and prior msgs wink!

One other question, though. Can other people join through your hs group/district after you submit the info to EPGY? For instance, say someone else comes across this thread in a month, could s/he sign up at that point and just select this group as his/her district when enrolling?

Last edited by Cricket2; 07/21/09 10:56 AM.
    Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM