Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
    And Kriston - as to online predators, well, I can say that last night DS was talking about his online team at his favorite online game.

"I made a pledge to use only correct english words with proper spelling for 24 hours."
    Oh, did someone dare you?
    "No I made it up myself."
    I'm suprised, I thought your spelling was pretty good. It must be hard to mouse click and type at the same time.
    "It sure is!"
    They other players are probably much older. I've heard that the average age is 34. Do they know you are 11?
    "Oh no. I only tell my state. Did you know that some of my Team Members are from Alaska?"
    DH - Oh sure they are from Alaska! They are probably just from down the block.
    "Yes, two are from Alaska, and one is an English Major in College, and one has been in jail the last 4 months, so he hasn't been able to participate much."

Well, Kriston, I read "Protecting the Gift" and usually take your position, but my heart definitly skipped a beat here.

((Prayers)) O brave new world, That has such people in't! � The Tempest, Act V, sc. i.

((shrugs))
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I am a bit embarrassed with being included in the big three talk! I've known Trinity and Dot for ages, but I am still a relative newbie on this site. Kind of makes me feel like Uhura elbowing her way into the original Star Trek frontline as "one of the big four". Can't she see she's just a minor character?

C
    C
    I don't post on many boards, only lurk. Because my spelling and grammer can often contain errors. But if i did editing it would take me an hour to proofread and decide its ok enough. Some boards make fun of poor spelling and grammer, but not here. it seems safe to be a gifted adult who can't or doesn't have time to spell correctly.

Of course if i edited more I wouldn't have so many run on sentences.

Well, Dot, my oldest is a bit older than your kids, but I didn't really get heavy into the research on g-ness until seven + years ago when looking for options for my 2nd child. The whole concept of levels was new to me, and I jumped in with both feet! It is so lonely to have a PG kid and not only not have the language for that sort of difference, but also to feel unable to discuss the trials and triumphs of every day life with people who will believe you and "get" it. The internet is such a blessing in this way.

Hi all,

Before now, I have never joined or participated in any online community in any way. I almost bypassed this one, except, I liked Trinity's screen name and immediately thought of the Matrix.

It felt a little unusual for me, starting to post and read replies. It has been immensely helpful to read all the posts, stories, advice and references.

So, thanks, Trinity, for your kind replies and support. It helped me overcome some of my cybershyness.

Thanks all for your kindness and wealth of knowlege.

Incog

Originally Posted by Trinity
    "Yes, two are from Alaska, and one is an English Major in College, and one has been in jail the last 4 months, so he hasn't been able to participate much."

Well, Kriston, I read "Protecting the Gift" and usually take your position, but my heart definitly skipped a beat here.

Eeek! Yes, I'd be pretty nervous there, too. My kids are still too young for that kind of online interaction, so that may explain some of my attitude. When they get into interactive game playing and MySpace and such, I'll definitely be more...<ahem>...concerned... eek

I just see other moms at the park hovering, and I think, "Really, nobody wants your kid. And if someone did, there are 20 of us moms nearby ready to jump the guy and call 911. Sit down and relax, would you?"

Once there was a <gasp> dad <gasp> playing "good guy, bad guy" with his son, and all the other boys at the park joined in. The other moms heard "bad guy" and saw the running (never mind that the kids were chasing the man, not the other way around...) and FREAKED OUT. Seriously, it was like all reason had left their heads and they went into full-on child protection mode!

I tried to reason with them: he's being pretty obvious, what with all the running around DIRECTLY in front of us...don't you think he's just playing with the kids? They're laughing and chasing him...don't you think it's a game? etc. But until they had confirmation that one of the kids was his, all the moms were just nuts about him. It was the craziest thing. shocked crazy eek

Can you imagine a predator galloping around at full tilt like that? I still think it was completely ludicrous! And that seems to be the dominant mentality in this area at least: panic about kids' safety first; think...never!

Sorry. I won't keep posting about this. I know it's totally OT! It's just one of my personal issues.

I've never heard of "Protecting the Gift." What is it?

Kriston
    Oh, and Lorel:

I think it's less about how long you've been here than it is about how much "sophia" you have to share with us. Some of us mostly ask questions, others mostly answer them. The big three of answers are pretty clearly Trinity, Dottie and you.

That's not to say that others' contributions, suggestions and answers are less valuable or whatever. Not at all! I've personally gotten a lot of help here from a wide variety of people. But if the three of you took a powder from the site, we'd all suffer. I think that's pretty clear.

Uhura was one of my favorite Star Trek characters, right after Spock. And Scottie...I've always had a soft spot for engineers, since my dad, best friend through school and now my DH are all engineers... I wanted Uhura's skirts to be a bit longer than they were since she had to sit in them. But I always really liked her! wink

Last edited by Kriston; 11/30/07 11:04 PM. Reason: P.S. Glad you're here, Incogneato! :)

Kriston
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    As I struggle with the YSP application and read more about gifted issues (including the book Genius Denied, and postings on various websites by parents with YSP children), it appears to me that Davidson may be most concerned with children who are years ahead of their peers in their academics, rather than those who have not yet maxed out or even reached their potential (and I understand this, as those are the children who otherwise may have nowhere to go). I was wondering what other criteria they consider, particularly with respect to a 2E child (after all, they say in capital letters that the test scores are the MINIMUM CRITERIA). And assuming he is not accepted, do they help refer unsuccessful applicants to local resources? We are still trying to figure out the appropriate school situation, and the gifted part of the equation has not been and is not being addressed at all (until now, and by me, that is.)

And of course, no matter what, we are applying - the ultimate reward is well worth the application. Just a bit intimidated by the accomplishments of all the children I've read about on this board and others, whether YSP or not.

Well Questions, my three YS kids are all diagnosed 2e. Despite their challenges, they all had the appropriate scores needed to get into the program. I don't think it will violate any confidentiality agreement to say that I am quite sure there are also other 2e kids in the YS program.

But I do sympathize with families whose 2e kids are clearly way "out there" intellectually, yet have not been able to break past that minimum threshold. I am friendly with some of these people, and I see them struggle; their children could benefit so much from the YSP. In some cases, one PG kid without any disability is not enrolled because the 2e sibling would not make the cutoff. It's a tough situation. But I also understand that Davidson has to draw the line somewhere, and they are offering all these amazing services for FREE!

My two cents: If you have test scores that are borderline, but milestones and work examples that shout PG, apply via the portfolio option, with any and all disabilities clearly noted.

good luck!

BTW, we initially got the "need more information" letter about my oldest son, who has Asperger's. Although DITD wishes to help as many PG kids as possible, they flagged his app due to the AS disclosure, and would not admit him until we talked at length about how the AS affects his behavior. I had to write a letter documenting that he has never become violent. The staff are very cautious about not accepting any child who may have a tendency to do harm to others. Some kids with AS DO get violent; I can well understand their concern.

Dottie, I am very glad that you did apply for your son!

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM