Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 22 of 22 1 2 20 21 22
    L
    L
    Midwest Mom, Rick Riordan has another series besides Percy Jackson called the Kane Chronicles, which is about Egyptian rather than Greek mythology. It actually exists parallel to the Percy series (the Greeks live in Manhattan, while the Egyptian stuff happens in the Bronx I think?, but they mention that Manhattan is off limits, lol) I prefer Percy, but maybe if she started with these she might then be interested in moving to the Greek series. Also, there is the second Percy series as well which talks about the Roman vs Greek versions of the Gods.

As a child, I also really loved (still do!) the Harperhall series by Anne McCaffrey. Those are shorter books but get you into the whole Pern universe which is several dozen books. The Dragonflight series is good, too, but does have some sexual content.

And a friend's son is reading the Fablehaven series, which I had never heard of and am going to try to find. It has great reviews on Amazon. Maybe someone here is familiar with it?

M
    M
    Thanks for the suggestions. We've tried most of them, but I forgot about the Narnia books. I didn't particularly like them, but I expect DD8 to.

LNEsMom, I also really enjoyed the Harperhall trilogy, but our library doesn't have it in an audio form. frown I own all of the Anne McCaffrey Pern books and reread them every year or so.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by MidwestMom
    LNEsMom, I also really enjoyed the Harperhall trilogy, but our library doesn't have it in an audio form. frown I own all of the Anne McCaffrey Pern books and reread them every year or so.

That's too bad that they don't have it. And I reread them frequently too! Was sorry to hear she passed away last fall. I still read her son's contributions to Pern, but it is definitely not the same. frown

H
    H
    How about "The Dark is RIsing" by Susan Cooper? It is available to download on audio (at least at our online library). There are 5 books in the series, but the first one is a little slow. The Dark is Rising is actually Book #2 and really picks up the action. There's magic and the age-old conflict between good and evil.

Page 22 of 22 1 2 20 21 22

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM