Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #21963 07/31/08 08:56 PM
    CSmith Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I am just wondering if any of you are members or if your children are members of mensa. If so, are there any tangible benefits to being a part of this organization or is it simply another label?

C~

CSmith #21964 07/31/08 09:03 PM
    There are some Mensa members here. Some groups are VERY active, others less so. It depends on the area.

It seems like it might be something good to check out. We haven't tried it, but I think it's worth a look. It might be a good place to find other GT kids for friendships.

Kriston
    Kriston #50281 07/01/09 01:34 PM
    Bringing this back up to see if anyone has any opinions on the tangible benefits of joining this or is it just a "look how smart I am" label.

marieg #50283 07/01/09 01:48 PM
    M
    M
    I was wondering the same thing actually.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    melmichigan #50285 07/01/09 02:31 PM
    N
    N
    I was in Mensa when I was a kid. I don't know if it was just because I lived in a fairly rural area, or whether it is like this everywhere, but I was the only kid who ever attended events, and since they were at least an hour away they were always sort of a PITA. My dad, on the other hand, loved going to events because he could "pretend" to be "smart" and then shock everyone by revealing that he wasn't gifted at all. wink (He isn't gifted, but he is probably the most well-read and wildly informed person I have ever met, so it is easy for him to fool people.)

In addition to being the only kid, I may have been the only PG member in my area. I can remember that I always seemed like the smartest person at the events (but, of course, I could have been wrong).

So, in short, my advice would be to check out the group in your area thoroughly before spending the money. JMHO.

no5no5 #50288 07/01/09 04:39 PM
    B
    B
    We have been looking into the local MENSA group that is about 30 minutes from us - they seem to be very active and plan lots of get togethers. I just haven't found anyone else locally that is a member.

Belle #50291 07/01/09 08:03 PM
    R
    rdrsquared guy
    Unregistered
    rdrsquared guy
    Unregistered
    R
    You must have been reading my mind Marieg, I was planning to post about MENSA this evening. Sounds like I will need to look into the local chapter before making a decision.

By the way the MENSA annual event started today in Pittsburgh and runs through the weekend. Was hoping to attend but the wife had other plans, would love to hear from anyone that attended.

#50299 07/02/09 04:36 AM
    A
    A
    I'm in the Pittsburgh area, and saw this, but all the members I have met from Mensa in my life turned me off to the group. I guess I would love to hear any good impressions people have had.

Artana #50319 07/02/09 11:16 AM
    C
    C
    I'm a member and have had fun at the two annual gathering I've attended, but it really isn't in our budget to go yearly. My local group is 1+ hrs away, so I don't really ever get to events. The few I tried to pull together in my area drew much older people and one college student, who probably got even less out of the crowd than I did.

At the AGs, I did meet a fair share of "look how smart I [or my kids] am [are]" types, but also some really fun and interesting people. My kids really enjoyed playing Werewolf with some other members at the Denver AG last summer. I think that the thing at the AGs is that there are a lot of people, so there are bound to be some you like even if some of them are unappealing. Local groups are smaller, so you have fewer people to choose from. I understand that our local group has a gifted children's program now but, again, it is so far that I just haven't been able to make events.

Cricket2 #50563 07/09/09 08:56 AM
    L
    L
    I signed myself and my dd up (this year) but haven't done anything except read the magazines. I mainly did it because I was curious and thought it might be a good place to find activities and expose DD to new people. They had a special on membership fees/evaluation fees and figured she may want it later on and I might lose the paperwork. If I do it now she can always "renew" without the paperwork. I don't know if I'll keep it up or not. I'm in a city but the kids side doesn't seem to be that active maybe because they find peers at school? So for now it seems to have been a lark but who knows what the future holds......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM