Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 237 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    OP Offline
    Hi JBDad,

As the school year comes to a close, I was thinking of your family the other day. How did it go? I recall the waters getting turbulent towards the middle?

Dazey

Sorry I missed this the first time! I was just getting ready to post a question about math resources. I've been lurking, but for a variety of reasons, I've been relatively quiet lately. I do appreciate you asking though!

We've been very busy the last month as our family grew by +1. Everyone is doing great. We broke a long standing tradition of boys and DW and I finally have a girl (the reason we tried for number 3). We had serious genetics working against us and we were plesently surprised.

DS6 ended the school year on a little bit of a rocky note. We're trying to figure out what to do for next year, but for now it looks like we're going to try the public school system one more year. You may or may not recall that DS6 has a sleep apnea problem that may be amplifying his emotional reactions, particularly during school days (he sleeps an incredible amount and then wakes up tired). We have surgery next week to see if we can clear that up. That may be making school days a little difficult for him--that and he is a bit bored.

We're planning on getting another evaluation this summer because now he's old enough for the WISC. We're going this based on our observations and the fact that the school pyschologist said that the SB-V wasn't a great test for his type of thinking.

I have to say... after school got out, his interest in diving deep on certain subjects has really exploded. I wouldn't mention this in other forums, but I think school is holding him back a bit. He got Murdous Maths books for Christmas and really hasn't had much interest in them... until now. Since school has let out he's been ripping through them! Number games that we used to play have turned into full blown alegbra equations that he does for fun. I'm pretty exhausted right now so I won't go completely into it, but I am thinking that for next year I have to get a little more assetive on at least the Math aspect of it. He's also becoming a little more self aware "Daddy, I'm clever with math." (Okay we also indulge the boys with Doctor Who so they get their dose of English proper.)

I will definitely post more very soon. I'm looking for other math resources like alegebra word problems for the unschooling that we're doing.

Thanks for asking! I am still around.

JB

M
    M
    Dear JB,

Congratulations to you both on your new addition! I hope all five of you are getting settled in and enjoying your new darling, getting a little sleep, treasuring this precious time together...there's nothing quite like those wonderful newborn days, when you're all getting to know each other...magical.

Glad your little guy is having so much math fun! Have you looked at Don Cohen's Calculus By and For Young People Age 7 and Up? Harpo had some good times with those books a while back--I've been thinking we should revisit them again. (Cohen's site is www.mathman.biz ) There is also some fun stuff at www.mathartfun.com , and also at www.gnarlymath.com (I even love the site name!).

All good wishes for the surgery next week--do keep us posted if you have a minute, and let us know how he, and you all, are doing!

peace
    minnie

Congratulations, JBDad smile

I
    I
    JBDad, thanks for sharing the joyful news! Hope the sleep situation improves for you and your family.

P.S. Great websites Minnie

See, I knew I should have posted to the group sooner! Thanks for the math suggestions.

OP Offline
    CONGRATS JBDAD!!! Our 3rd was a girl after 2 boys. The inlaws had 3 boys so everyone was happy to have something different lol.

Back to math: how about Zaccaro's Real World Algebra?

Congrats JBDad! And it's so nice to hear an update.

M
    M
    Congrats JBDad!!! Girls are so much fun and she's lucky to have 2 big brothers! Don't be surprised if she seems into their stuff more than things geared to girls. My DD is 2.5 yrs younger than DS and she loved all toys for boy until about 4.5y. At 18m she could name all the Thomas trains and at 2y, built her first items with Legos! She's definitely more into both girl and boy stuff now but will still play with whatever her big brother is in playing with.

Another website: AOPS resources Several intro to algebra books, etc. Might be more appropriate in a few more years but at the rate that your little guy is going, sooner rather than later seems more likely!

Good luck and get some sleep!

Congrats JBDad, Great news!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM