Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #50121 06/29/09 11:14 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I've heard that many here have used these and we just got the first one in the mail from the author. $19 for an autographed book is too cool. Could you tell me more about them in the sense of how you have integrated them and where they fit into a curriculum? (I already like that things are explained, not just shown.) My DD9 is currently using ALEKS and I'm not sure where to go as we look at finishing up LV 5&6. She doesn't love math but sees it as a means to an end with her true love being science. I think she would do better if it was more...well, fun.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    melmichigan #50123 06/29/09 12:01 PM
    I purchased this book for DD6, I bought it mostly for a fun tool to introduce concepts. The funny thing is that she has corrected me on some of the anwsers. (OK, so I wasn't that great at math) I've given it over to my DH who IS good at math. DD loves the story line so she's very interested in it, and picks up the concepts and figuring out the problems with ease. I was worried that she might not be interested because it was about a boy, but there's enough girly things included that it does the job. It gets them ready for algebra and beyond and what a great ideal math made fun!

melmichigan #50124 06/29/09 12:32 PM
    M
    M
    We used LOF: Fractions as our main math curriculum and DS7 went from just thinking math was okay to *loving* it. He can't wait for us to start LOF: Decimals in the fall- we're doing logic/problem solving stuff for the summer. The story line completely captivated him and the fact that Fred was younger than he is really helped.

We did have to supplement with a fractions workbook (Success with Fractions 2 from prufrock.com) because he hadn't had any exposure to working with fractions. For an older kid who has actually done math through 6th grade, I would imagine the extra practice would be unnecessary. Fred is designed to be a total stand alone program and while the practice is fairly limited, it is designed to make the kids think about what they're doing and why rather than just memorize steps to solve problems. Though if you decide she does need the extra practice, I loved how Success with Fractions integrated with Fred and would recommend that.

As far as actual implementation, we did math 2-3x a week. We read the book together and talked about the chapter to make sure DS got what the author was trying to say. On the chapters that he quickly understood, we did the practice (Your Turn to Play) and then moved on. On the ones that he had a harder time, we slowed down and took a few days to go over the topic using the extra practice until he seemed comfortable with it. There were a few times when he had the mechanics of what he was supposed to do, but it wasn't until something later on was explained that he really got the reason behind it. We spent probably 3 months total on it, but we were going fairly slowly since so much of what we were doing was completely new to DS.

The lower level books aren't designed to be full year programs, but Fractions plus Decimals/Percents is roughly equivalent to a Pre-Algebra class. I also heard from Stan Schmidt that he's going to have the first of 3 Pre-Algebra books out at the end of the summer.

HTH!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM