Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by So Pass�!
    Also, I'm a high school student in summer with no job or children to take of, which many of you do, so I have time to complain about single sentences in articles. I have already sent several letters to newspapers for confusing gender identity with biological sex and even one to Obama for good measure.

Awesome. smile I'm very glad someone is doing this. I do think it is important work, and I agree that the sentence is inappropriate and misleading.

Well, you're right......many of us are parents and a little older than you! wink

However, this is place for discussion on all things gifted, especially HG/EG/PG.

It sure seems like a place that you should feel comfortable, if you can put up with us old farts!!

When I was in high school I was doing similar things and I appreciate your energy and intentions!

Neato

S
    OP Offline
    S
    I love everyone here! You are all so sweet. <333

Last edited by So Passé!; 06/30/09 01:08 AM.
    F
    F
    My opinion of that site is that it ranks only slightly ahead of the National Enquirer as a source of reputable news.

I agree!!

S
    OP Offline
    S
    I am beyond happy! I made a real, (semi) tangible change in the world.

Read my below letter to the BBC
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 29 June 2009 17:49
    To: NewsOnline Complaints
    Subject: Complaint Reply Required

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8121599.stm

In this article, the following is written: "Accelerated mental development, for example, slows down social and mental growth and the result can be a lop-sided and maladjusted individual."

The view that highly advanced mental abilities stunt social growth is contested by the Gifted and Talented community. As shown here (and in other studies):

"Profiles of the two SMPY groups show them to be well adjusted and interpersonally effective. The generally high scores of the SMPY group members, compared with those of the random eighth-grade sample, indicate that the gifted radical accelerants and nonaccelerants are mature, academically advanced, and interpersonally effective."

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10017.aspx

While famous educational psychologist Leta Hollingworth did find that those with IQs three and two-thirds standard deviations above the norm did encounter some social difficulties, very few people have such high IQs and, even then, not all encountered these difficulties. This does not substantiate the usage of "slows" unqualified, as if, in every case of extremely high intelligence, the result is an individual with underdeveloped social skills.

It is true, however, that accelerated mental development often leads to slowed mental growth, as those possessing advanced mental abilities are often understimulated and unaccommodated in a regular or unaccelerated school environment.

Even this does not justify the rather extreme prognosis of a "lop-sided and maladjusted individual" that the article profiles the gifted as. While there have been cases where an individual's extreme academic preciosity resulted in the described unfortunate end, these cases are rare. Of course, there are indeed many who have been wounded by society's ever-present, but painfully latent, command to mental uniformity. However, "lop-sided" is too strong a word to describe these occurrences, connotating mental instability. [In the "heat of the moment," I just attacked whatever annoyed me in the quote, but I now realize that the crucial "can" in the quote kind of summarizes this whole paragraph. Whoops! :)]

Thank you for your time!

[my real name]
    To: [my email]

Dear Mr [my last name]

Thanks for your e-mail.

The sentence which you quoted was the view put forward by psychologist Peter Congdon.

It was not the intention to give the impression that this was presented as fact by the BBC, and in light of that possible confusion, it has been attributed more clearly to Mr Congdon, with the addition of the word "can".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8121599.stm

I hope this addresses your concern.

Indeed it does, BBC. Indeed it does.

Last edited by So Passé!; 07/01/09 05:02 PM.
    You rock!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on making a difference!

YOU are certainly NOT passe!!!

Neato

Wow - that's awesome that they listened and made the change. How cool! I am inspired to send my comments the next time I catch a misinterpretation or error. Kudos!

K
    K
    That's great! Good for you for reporting it. And good for them for fixing it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM