Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #49748 06/20/09 08:22 PM
    S
    Summa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi Everyone,
    I am new to this forum and thought that some of you more experienced parents may be able to advise me. My son has been skipped from year 2 to year 3 (we are in Australia). In Year 2 he was basically a straight A student. His year 3 report is mostly B's a couple of A's and C's. I guess this is normal for the first semester. Socially he still plays mainly with his year 2 friends. He is a very social child and gets on with everyone but hasn't made any special friends in his new year. My concern is that he has been extremely emotional lately with outbursts over little things.
    Has anyone experienced this sort of behaviour with an accelerated child? Are things likely to get better as he adjusts? He doesn't seem to know what is wrong but he is not as keen on going to school as he was last year. He says he is enjoying the work more though.
    Thanks in advance
    Summa

J
    J
    Hi Summa (also from down-under)... We're just heading into report season in WA. Everyone tells me that we should expect "middle of the road" year 4 results (miss 8 skipped year 3). To be the top of the class half way thru the year means that the skip may not have been enough (!) - although DD is not exactly a performing seal *groan* Sometimes a skip into a class with older kids results in your kid 'masking' a bit so they don't "make waves" in the new group. Do you suspect this? When my kids are emotional and teary, the first thing I do is measure them. When you're growing at a rate of 1cm per month, tears come. If there's no apparent growth wave, I then look for worms. If all else seems normal, perhaps you may need to explore some anxiety-related issues (?) Perhaps some home-grown art therapy might open up a conversation? Be patient. It takes time to integrate into a new class, meet new friends, get invited for playovers, etc. Perhaps you could do some friendship engineering to encourage things along with kids in his class?

jojo

C
    C
    Hi Summa,

Something to keep in mind is what do those letter grades actually represent?

If it's anything like our school (also in Australia) the A,B,C etc. doesn't mean the same thing it did when I was at school, as in it's not equivalent to a percentage level. Basically a 'C' means meeting year-level expectations, 'B' is above & 'A' is way above year-level expectations (ie. 2 years plus). If your school uses something similar, I wouldn't be surprised for him to no longer be two years ahead in every area.

As for him being emotional lately, I find mine tend to get like that towards end of term, especially at that age. I'd be watching his behaviour when school goes back and if it's markedly different from how he behaved at home in the holidays, that would be the time to approach the teacher to see if something is amiss.

It's nice to have a few Aussies on the forum - makes for more conversations that aren't 12 hours behind!

Cheers,
    Cassandra

S
    Summa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks for the replies, all very helpful. I will look into the things that you suggested.
    Your suggestion about the grades was interesting Cassandra and I will talk to the teacher about what they mean at our school.
    I appreciate the quick responses
    Will let you know how things progress,
    Summa

P
    P
    will i just need to kno about homeschooling kkk and how can i get skipped up i wan kno wat ya do around heer i love to join smile

Last edited by prettyr; 06/28/09 03:22 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM