Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
    Older DD
    Sat 8 mo.
    crawled 9 mo (prefered rolling)
    walked 12 months
    talked 12 months (signed from 7 mo.)
    read 2 years
    read well 3 years

younger DD (2E)
    sat 6 mo
    crawled (bear walk, never on knees) 8 mo
    talked 18 mo (signed from 9 mo.)
    read 4 years
    read well 7 years

A
    A
    Oldest daughter - qualified at gifted but chose reg ed - now in college
    Didn't crawl - scooted on back of her head with her back arched
    Pulled herself up and walked with support of furniture - 7 mos.
    Walked independently - 9 mos.
    Don't remember anything about time frame for talking but she was an early reader

Middle son - gifted in all 3 exceptionalities, senior in hs now
    Crawled - 6 mos. - speedy, efficient crawler
    Walked - 16 mos.
    Read - 5 yrs

Youngest - severe dysgraphia, IQ not quite gifted on last test
    Crawled - 11 mos. - had x-rays to verify no developmental challenges in bones, hips
    Walked - 13 mos.
    Talked - unintelligible one-word commands that siblings translated - 10 mos.
    Talked fluently - 1.5 years
    Read - 5.5 years
    Wrote own name - 5 years
    Computer skills - work mouse, play video games made for teens - 2 years
    Memorized entire audio books including sound effects - 1.5 years

DS12, not gifted: walked independently at 7.5 months, crawled at 10 months (did it once or twice, so he could, but almost never did), first word at 11 mos., first sentence at 12 months

DD9, HG+: walked independently at 8 months and crawled for the first time the same day, first words about 7 months, full sentences by 12 months

DS7, MG-HG: crawled at 6 months, first steps at 12 months, walked independently at 13 months, first words about 7 months, full sentences by 12 months

She thought she could, so she did.
    DD (EG/PG):

rolled over from birth
    sat up ~5 months
    pulled up on furniture ~7 months
    didn't walk until 11 months. Never cruised, never crawled much.

first words ~6-7 months "kitty" (maybe earlier-- I first noticed 'deliberate, symbolic' vocalizations about 4-5 months old, but she had a LOT of medical issues that affected her hearing at <2yo, so her diction was far from perfect-- other family members refused to believe me until 7mo when they could see it for themselves.) Full (SVO) sentences well before 1 yr, abstract nouns before 14 months old. Object permanence about 4-6 months, I think? Hard to know-- she never really seemed to struggle with it and was more limited by motor skills than anything else, I think-- once she could "seek" hidden objects, she found them unerringly, and she never played "peekaboo" like other babies.

Deliberate verbal teasing of family members by 12-15 months-- complete with maniacal laughter. (She would deliberately MISpronounce a word that my DH wanted her to say, with this impish grin... or would answer him with a nonsense word when he'd ask her a question... and when he'd get frustrated with her, she'd laugh and laugh at him.)

The most striking thing about DD's development was that there was never any "tentativeness" or faltering to it. It just suddenly was. All or nothing. Without any practicing of the skill that we could see, or at least little to speak of relative to what "normal" development predicted. For example, she cruised on furniture for less than a week before learning to walk... she knew how to sit back down when she learned to pull herself up to standing. Stuff like that. She was also quite matter-of-fact about it from day one. It never seemed like a "big deal" to her. She was just moving on to the next thing once she had that mastered, if that makes sense.

She definitely knew all of her letters, primary and secondary colors, and numbers to 25? (higher-- we aren't sure just how high) by the time she was 18 months. She knew letter sounds by age two, and had "read" books to herself-- turning pages, I mean, and repeating words to herself-- by about ten months old. She definitely was not reading until she was much older, however.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by CBorner
    My DS 6 was a bit different on somethings.
    He pulled himself up on the side of the tub they put newborns in the day he was born, its true, we have it on video.
    Never crawled or cruised,
    He walked at 10 months

Didn't utter a single word, No da da, no ma ma, just pointed, I don't know how many times I asked the DR. if there was something wrong, until 3 days before his 2nd birthday. My DS and my dad were playing that game where you have a little fishing pole and you try and get the fish as they go around, well my dad had already been scolded, by me, for says some words not for little ears. Well my DS missed a fish and said "G*d D*mn Stupid fishy" You could have blown me over with a feather. I think I started crying his voice was so sweet, even if what he said wasn't. Hasn't stopped talking since then. What kills me is I had to put that phrase in his baby book in the first word section.

Mostly I remember DS seemed to have been born a little kid already, never liked baby stuff, rattles stuff like that. Watched full length kid movies before 1 and so on.

ROFL...

that reminds me of the incident when DD was not quite 2 yo-- we were getting out of a rental car to go meet my DH's former thesis advisor and his wife (like family to us) for dinner... she was struggling to get her car seat unbuckled, and from the back seat, we hear, clear as day, a sweet little girl voice saying "F***!!!" blush (uhhh... we could see the older couple that we were meeting... think grandparents/godparents...)

At that point, you sort of have an existential conflict as a parent... I mean, sure, it's PROFANITY with a capital F. The mother of all curse words and all... But still. Appropriate usage, n'est pas? LOL!

Also interesting to read about other kiddos that had physical development that is theoretically "not possible." Our DD was one of those, too. She held her head up and looked at our delivering physician seconds after delivery-- then rolled over! He remarked on it at the time-- with astonishment. (We have that on video, too.) We also know that she was smiling socially/deliberately at ~2-3 weeks old.

She had the most delicate and careful pincer grasp, too-- and I remember that because she used to touch and fondle my MIL's dangling earrings. She was invariably gentle-- just curious. It was amazing.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    G
    G
    I just found this thread, don't know how I missed it smile I love reading about this stuff. Love the swearing stories.

DD was alert from birth. The dr had some concerns when we turned up for her 6 week check and they were meant to check she had all her new born reflexes (like raising their feet when their feet touch the ground and so on, the ones they grow out of) . She didn't. I knew, without knowing anything about such things, that she'd already passed them. She was very deliberately chatty at a couple of months. Don't remember her ever not smiling, though there must have been a time when she didn't.

She sat at 4 months, yet never rolled. She never crawled or bum scooted or cruised, but at 7 months insisted that we help her walk around. After 5 months of broken backs from bending over, once she was ABSOLUTELY sure she'd never fall down, dd let go of our hands and was walking/running/dancing/jumping etc as if she'd been doing it for years. Though until that time I was worried there was something wrong!

We never noticed that she was talking at first - we thought her words were a fluke, but when you watch video of her at 6 months, they were quite deliberate. Though she didn't really start speaking a lot until 12 months. Then she was speaking in sentences by 15 months. She knew all her colours and letters (upper and lower case), could identify and count to 20 (though always missed 16) and would call out 'number' or 'letter' accurately when we were walking around the shops at 18 months. She knew all her letter sounds by 2 and was reading basic words by 2.5, sentences of 5+ words by 3, writing her name before then. She could skip count, tell time to the half hour and add fractions at 3.5. Then she kind of stopped (she kept developing and coming up with amazing ideas, but didn't want to read or look at maths in a formal way) . She wasn't really interested in anything 'accademic' for 18 months until the last few weeks, when she went mad for it all again!

I'll never forget the woman who told me dd would never dance because she hadn't crawled. Lol, I was so worried (what if my dd was desperate to be a dancer??) As it turns out she's a great dancer and very agile, but couldn't care less smile

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    G
    G
    Oh, and she would never, ever slow down. Even from birth. I remember other mums talking about their babies sitting happily in their rockers while they did chores. Not dd. She was furious unless she was involved, being read to, played with, chatted to whilst being held, etc. from her very first days.

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    S
    S
    Hey all,

I am new here, but this question really got to me. My DS seemed somewhat delayed until he seemed so "un"delayed.

My DS is 22 months.

He didn't talk or babble much until 9 months, and then we didn't believe that he was saying things until 11 months.

At 9 months he was crawling like a pirate, and didn't crawl well until almost 11 months.

He didn't walk until almost 15 months, which seemed very delayed.

However,

At 22 months he jumps with 2 feet off the ground.
    We have stopped counting the number of words he knows because he seems to know them all and uses them in sentences.
    He has memorized several of his favorite books.
    He shoots one handed and two handed baskets.

It seems his physical and verbal abilities have started to progress at a similar rate.

I wonder if progression to milestones is personality driven? I have always described DS as a "watcher," rather than a doer.

Best,
    Scalder

M
    M
    My first son (now 4) we were not aware that he was different, but we recorded the following for him:

first word (Daddy): 5 months
    sentences: by 13 months fluent and complex sentences
    colours: by 15 months knew many colours including shades
    sat independently: just before 5 months
    crawling: 10 months
    walking: 13 months
    basic addition and subtraction: 2 years 2 months
    reading words: 2 years 2 months
    Fine Motor skills: he had perfect pencil grip, but I had read somewhere that toddlers have to scribble with a fist grip so I "corrected" his grip. After that it wasn't until he was over 3 that he got it right again without it causing discomfort.

BUT - we are sure he did some things earlier but we passed a lot off as fluke or us mishearing or being wrong. ALSO - he was a watcher. He would practice where no one could see before doing anything. We caught him practicing crawling in his crib for example.

Second Son (now 2 years, 4 months).
    First words: 3 months (Hello, Daddy)
    Complex sentences: 14 months
    crawling: 10 months
    walking: 12 months
    he knew a lot of things earlier than our first child. His older brother loves to sit and teach him things, and he has access to things our first child never did.
    Reading: he has started reading random words here and there. The first time he did this he was about 18 months, then nothing for ages until recently.
    Humor: has always had a very well developed sense of humor, playing with words and laughing at us when he "tricks" us.
    Basic addition and subtraction: was doing this around his second birthday, but is now doing it all the time.
    Fine Motor: had perfect pencil grip from young. This time I did not correct it at all. He has started writing letters recently.

Baby number 3: (5 weeks old)
    Can I just say that I am grateful to have found this thread - reading some of these made me know that I am not crazy!

This little one was holding his head up the day he was born, made eye contact before crying at birth (even though he needed oxygen due to the cord around his neck really tightly).
    He smiled properly when 2 - 3 weeks old, although the grandparents did not believe us until he smiled at them too.
    He is making verbal noises already, and mouth movements when we speak to him.
    He focuses on pictures and stuffed toys for ages already and has done since about 3 weeks of age.

He gets so cross if I am reading to the older boys and I lay him down. as soon as I lift him up to "see" he is happy again.

He follows family voices around the room and today showed visible excitement when our oldest son walked into the room and started talking to him.

He wants constant interaction when he is awake - which is already up to 2 or 3 hours at a time in the day.

No where else have I been able to share all these early milestones, so THANK YOU for this awesome thread! It's also great to see that I am not a crazy woman for "seeing" these things in my children

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    M
    M
    This is a fun thread to read.

DD#1 took her first steps at 9 1/2 months and was running everywhere at 10 months. DH and I couldn't decide what her first word was, so I'm not sure when she started talking. She didn't say much until about 18 months, although she had no problem understanding and following multipart directions. When she hit 18 months, it was like a switch had been flipped. She started talking in full sentences and never.shut.up. Her favorite word at age 2 was "actually."

DD#2 took her first steps at 7 1/2 months and was running a few weeks later. She didn't speak nearly as much as her sister, in part because she couldn't get a word in edgewise. Plus, all she had to do was point at something and grunt or smile, and her sister would do whatever she wanted.

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM