Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 60 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Zia's Mom, I'm so sorry you didn't get the news you were looking for today. Your son sounds incredible - I can't believe he's in first grade at 4! (That is what I read, isn't it?) I can't imagine his next test wouldn't place him where he needs to be, and quite frankly, he sounds years ahead of my very own DS (who I absolutely have to admit, was a beautiful baby, too!)

And bianc850a, a huge congratulations to you. Seemed to me you knew it was coming, and I imagine your DD must have some great scores to go with her academic success. All the best to you both. I'm sure it's a relief.

As for DS, just to show the full range of possible responses, we're one of the need more info recipients, and quite frankly, I'm not at all surprised. As I lamented earlier in this thread (at least I think it was this thread), how do I prove comprehension other than by anecdotes and recommendations? Well, the answer turns out to be by hard objective evidence. So on to part two of the application process.

Now I believe I started this thread with my first visit to this board. So let me thank all of you who have helped me learn about the YSP program and issues related to gifted children. I have to say that I read about what all of you have done with your children and how you stood up for them from the start, recognized their intelligence, and made school decisions with awe and jealousy. I wish I had known then what I know now, and I admire you for your knowledge and conviction. Thank you.

Last edited by questions; 01/14/08 08:55 PM. Reason: added the space in Zia's Mom
    questions: I'm with you!
    Bianca: Awesome!! Congrats!!

Zia's mom: Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really think you should follow the letter's suggestion and have your son re-tested in 6 months.

I

Hi Questions,

We were one of the need more info recipients last month. We were asked for additional testing. the fact that they are asking fro more info means that they feel your DS is a strong candidate.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thanks so much for saying that, bianc850a. You don't know how much I needed to hear that!

Z
    Z
    Congratulations bianc850a on your daughter's acceptance!
    And thanks to everyone who has offered kind words and encouragement, even though we didn't get in.

Just to clarify for questions, my son is actually homeschooled now. We say that loosely though since he is not of eligible age for K in the public schools, the homeschool is unofficial at this point. He was accepted to start 1st grade at a gifted school this past fall (at 4), with pullouts for reading and math to a higher grade, but we identified some serious problems with the school based on so much of what I learned here that the night before school was to begin we cancelled. I posted about this experience when it happened.
    That was by far the best thing we have done for our child to date and I am so grateful for how quickly I was able to learn about the issues facing these kids and identify some serious problems at the school, looking beyond their own label that they are "a school for the highly gifted". These included unsupportive teachers, administrators who wanted to make decisions based on a child's size and handwriting, etc.
    This is a good opportunity to say thanks again to everyone who weighed in and helped us make the right decision.

I meet so many parents through chess that have lived what many of you have in that it has taken them years and so many scenarios to find a tolerable solution for their child's education. They are always commenting on how great it is that I am keyed into these concerns while my son is still so young and how they wished they had known more and would have done things sooner/differently. That is the gift of this forum for many of us with younger kids.

Zia's Mom- Sorry to hear about DYS. Your son sounds amazing.

Bianca- Congrats! I am glad that sending in more information paid off for you.

Questions- Good luck on round 2!

Crisc
    Originally Posted by Zia's Mom
    I meet so many parents through chess that have lived what many of you have in that it has taken them years and so many scenarios to find a tolerable solution for their child's education. They are always commenting on how great it is that I am keyed into these concerns while my son is still so young and how they wished they had known more and would have done things sooner/differently. That is the gift of this forum for many of us with younger kids.

FWIW, Zia's Mom, DS and I would trade places with you and your DS in an instant. Accomidated from age 4, with Gifted Issues Discussion board beats unaccomidated until age 10 with YSP every time. I could get jealous of Dottie, but she had two to learn from first.

DS was doing some "Other Directed Perfectionism" last night on my handling of his early years, when we actually discouraged his academic growth for fear of 'infecting him' with our 'weirdness,' and 'ruining the school experience' for him. I did try to explain that 'everything happens for a reason, and it's our job to make do with what he have, and I am so much more grateful for what we have than dissapointed over the 6ml missing from the glass.

I'm not a big fan of being blamed, but at least I know that I'm doing my pennance HERE, but standing on the hidden rocks and waving my flashlights wildly! I know that I can't go back for my own son, but I feel much, much, better that I can light the way for you and yours!

Love and More Love,
    Grinty

Last edited by Grinity; 01/15/08 06:17 AM. Reason: was thinking general but typing specific
    Bianca-

I recommend that you register for a couple of the parent listserves at DITD. The static bb doesn't get much traffic, but the lists tend to be very active.

Zia's Mom, sorry that things didn't work out this time. I'm with the others who suggest that you try again with more testing.

Hi Lorel,

thanks. I will register on the parent listserves as soon as I get the official log in info from The DITD.

Congratulations Bianca!

Questions it sounds like you have more testing ahead of you, but a good chance to get it. What more did they ask for? I got the impression your son had qualifying scores for both IQ and the achievement test.

LMom
    Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM