Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    C
    clc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I am sooooooo frustrated. My child is going to be tested, to see if she can qualify for the 3rd Grade Gifted Program in Florida. There is no information on what the test entails, or how to prepare for it. I guess there is a reason, however we can't skip Grades in Pasco County-Florida anylonger. Math Wise, she is ...I don't know...above gradelevel for sure, but has not been thought the in-between-stuff. F.I., she suddendly tells me, on the way to the Pool: Mom, if you want to take 18 away from 15- all you have to do is put a minus down and you get "-3". She always comes up with the wierdest Math Stuff. Reading: yes she can read at a 4rth Grade Level but only comprehends 60% of it. She maintained that from the 1rst Grade Testing. I am raising her bi-lingual (German). So, I am not supprised at the result. Her friend, also is going to be tested, scored higher on the comprehension part, but lower in math.
    SAT score for 2nd Grade was: 7 in reading/comprehension (one question away from an 8), 9 in math (missed 2 questions).

Is there a way to prepare for this test? What can I expect? What is it they are looking for?

My child has been bored for the most part of 2nd Grade, but is adamit about getting "Perfect Attendance".

Any advise, help? Please!
    Sincerely ClC

F
    F
    Call the Pasco county school board and ask them what test they use.
    There is no way to study for an IQ test, but you can prepare her by letting her know what the layout may be like and what she will be asked to do.
    Over here in Polk County we use the RIAS IQ test. It is nice because it is short.
    Once you find out which test they use, you can go to http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/tests.htm and get more information about the actual test.
    In Polk County you must have an IQ of 130, or 120 if you are low income or minority, to get into the ESE gifted program and be covered under Florida's ESE laws.
    Some schools in my district will also allow high achieveing kids to go into the gifted program, but they are not considered ESE for legal purposes.
    Please keep us posted, and be prepared.. Waiting on the school board to go all they way through the testing process, can take months.
    Welcome and glad to hear of another Floridian

however we can't skip Grades in Pasco County-Florida anylonger.

Why is that?

Hi clc,
    The gifted test is an IQ test -- probably the RIAS. In my experience the school does not let the parents know when exactly the child will be tested. In Florida, you need a score of 130 unless you're from an under-represented group and then I think it's 120.
    There's lots more info on the DOE site: www.fldoe.org/BII/Gifted_Ed/

C
    clc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks for all your answers!!!! I truly appriciate them!!!

Well, in the meantime(as a matter of fact Yesterday) my child was tested. Indeed, they used the RIAS. Yes, my child was recommended to join the gifted program, wheras her best friend was not. But a Conference in August will help us make a more educated decision.(if we,the parents and board -people,want her to join the program or rather have her attend regular 3rd grade)

Questioning my child, the test was too easy. No Math what-so-ever. All you had to do was "Mittens to Hand = Hammer to...", Find what does not belong, and Complete...
    Well, thats all I got out of her...(normal)

When I ask Her " What did you do in school today?", the answer is usually " I don't know. I forgot."

Oh, by the way- RIAS only asks for 123 or higher. (co-insides with Pasco County from 15 years ago)

I am still....unsure about this whole "gifted" thing.

F
    F
    I am still....unsure about this whole "gifted" thing

Everytime time you think you have it all figured out, things will change
    Good luck in your meeting in August!

C
    clc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks, Floridama:-)

you are so right. I kinda hoped that my decision-making-task would be resolved by hearing "Sorry, we don't feel that your child would benefit from our program", on the other side- I am glad to have the child I have. Couldn't be prouder.

I'll wait now til August...and we take it from there (I hate waiting)...

Again, Thanks

L
    L
    Hi clc:

I just had a conference with my son's teacher. He will recommend him for the gifted program in Pasco Co.

I'm just wondering how did your meeting in August go. Please, keep us updated.

Thank you!

L
    L
    Before my son took these tests I told him just one thing - fill in the circles, don't circle around them. I pretty much figured that covered it.

C
    C
    Lots of sleep and calm parents. Not that I'm the model of calm, but I know my attitude affects dd...
    chrys

Warning: sleep deprived
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM