Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    h

Last edited by master of none; 12/26/13 10:36 AM.
    C
    C
    ALEKS has, underneath each question (in learning mode, but not during assessments) a button marked Explain. We don't really use it though. When I've looked at it, it has seemed to me that it does a good job of explaining what steps to go through to get the right answer, but doesn't attempt to explain why that's what you do. So it might possibly be useful if the child just needs a reminder, but I'd really not recommend it for initial learning. In practice I sit with DS when he's doing new stuff in ALEKS and explain as necessary. For doing it in school obviously that won't work; you could, I suppose, have your DD do new topics at home with you and then just do review at school. If she hated it before, though, I guess you'll be better off trying something else. We have recently received the Ed Zaccaro Challenge Maths books, which do have good explanatory chapters before the problems; of the things I've seen, that would seem like the best bet. Maybe someone else knows something online that would work though.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    M
    M
    Dear master of none,

I don't know anything about ALEKS, but we use and really like the Mathematics Enhancement Programme from the Centre for Innovative Mathematics Teaching at the University of Plymouth. I don't know how well a UK programme would correlate with an American course of study, but the math is very challenging and interesting.

The materials are free; all can be printed off as PDFs, while some of it is also available as interactive, online work. There are workbooks, lesson plans, tests, suggestions for extensions (games, real-life applications of various topics, etc.); we have found it an excellent, enjoyable resource.

It's at www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm .

Hope that helps!

peace
    minnie

R
    rdrsquared guy
    Unregistered
    rdrsquared guy
    Unregistered
    R
    Have you looked at time4learning, not a stand alone curriculum but we really like their math, the explanations seem to be very thorough. DS4 is working on this independently in lieu of taking naps (always negotiating) and has been able to cover first grade math in about a 6 weeks with very little parent involvement.

The software is definitely not quiet though as it uses, at least on the lower level, lots of animations to explain things. Maybe headphones would resolve that issue. There also appears to be a way for teachers to assign work to students although this module is not available to us.

Good luck, I'm sure others will have lots of suggestions.

-guy

M
    M
    Have you looked at the Singapore Math Standard Edition? It now correlates to California and was adopted by their schools. The only problem would be that it isn't ment to be a teach yourself type of program and really requires interaction for all the abstract sections.

Have you looked at Destination Math? I believe it aligns to Saxon math, not my personal favorite but used by many districts. It is also a little more interactive.

You could also look at DOMA, and the instructional component that can accompany it. It is from Let's Go Learn.

Many of the big textbook publishers also have interactive online sites for most of their books now with explanations and such, Holt comes to mind as one our school district uses. I know we use it at home sometimes to enhance and explain something we are seeing on ALEKS. They have online tuitorials with teachers explaining each example that is used in the book. wink We are planning on using Sadlier-Oxford this coming year with our ALEKS for the same reason.

Last edited by melmichigan; 06/11/09 03:09 PM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    M
    M
    I have a few more ideas but what grade level curriculum are you zeroing in on?

M
    M
    For fourth grade, from the big publishers you would be looking at Holt McDougal or McGraw-Hill if you are looking for interactive online versions either indepenently or to go along with textbooks/workbooks. The online versions have audio and teaching of concepts. Sadlier-Oxford would only have reteaching videos without audio.

For access to Destination Math and DOMA you could view their sites or check them out at www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org. They have some of them on group buys right now so there are trials available, or at least previews on some. Destination Math can also interchange with the Saxon Math texts so each could be used independently or in combination.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM