Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #4773 11/25/07 09:08 AM
    Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I am really new to the tests used to evaluate our kiddos. DD7 had the WISC IV but I've seen many different ones listed here. What is the difference between them? Is the WISC IV a good test compared to others out there? Im just curious. Thanks!

Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    That totally helped, Dottie, thanks! There's just so much information out there that it can be a bit overwhelming at times! If Im understanding correctly, the WISC IV has a ceiling of 160? Its interesting how different the tests can be. But I am glad to know that they gave dd a more current and widely used one. (WISC IV).

We may need to start a new discussion since now Im curious why the SB-LM is considered highly controversial...lol.

Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Got it.

DD scored 17's and 19's on 6 of the 10 subtests. (Funny, no 18's...just 17's and 19's) Her only area of weakness was coding and block design where she scored 13 and 10 respectively. I had posted this somewhere before but dd has always hated puzzles and so after the test she knew she didnt do well on that section and so when we got home she put some blocks together, drew the patterns on them and within a day she mastered block design! LOL! It doesn't matter now but Im curious how she'd score now that she has that down to a science? wink

Anyway, it all makes a bit more sense now. I can't tell you how helpful it has been to have this discussion board available!

Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    She was given the WISC-IV

Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Do you mean the pre-test? She was given the Weschler abbreviated scale test before the full 2hr test was given. Is that what you mean?

Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    To be honest, I'd have to go back in her paperwork to see what she was given. I dont remember seeing WAIT OR WJ on any paperwork sent home from the school but I'll go back and look. She has had a lot of testing done by the school, all of which I included in her application. Now Im curious if she had any achievement tests done.

Yes, we made the Nov 15th cutoff so at this point we are just waiting to hear back. Fingers crossed!

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Our school district uses the RIAS (Reynolds Intellectual Assessment Scale). I'm just curious if anyone has knowledge of this one. I think the ceiling is 160 and was just curious how it compares with the others.

Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Some here have referred to the SAT...is that the same as the one given to HS students? I'm still learning, so bear with me!

My dd has had the WISC IV but that is the only formal testing she has had done (aside from assessments at school). What is the necessity of these other tests? What benefit is there in having multiple tests done?

Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Oh ok, thanks Dottie!

Just to support Dottie's point about achievement and IQ testing going hand in hand...

Dr. Amend actually recommended that we give DS6 another achievement test (he had one near the end of K to "diagnose" giftedness) at the end of this year of homeschooling to be sure that he's progressing at least a year for a year of school.

I'm not sure if we'll do it because of the cost and because I think there are other ways to check progress, but I see the value in it.

Kriston
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM