Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 248 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    clc Offline
    C
    I wish I had Grade-Skipping available to me. My "C" was able to do all the 2nd Grade Math in 1rst Grade, and was sent to second Grade during her 1rst Grade for "Reading Counts". If it is available to you, and you can skipp, AND have someone at home to assist in the event it's too "above" for your child...go for it. I am in Florida, and skipping is no longer an option. My child is getting testet for the "Gifted Program" starting in 3rd Grade. The test she has to undergo is nowhere to be found online. Frustrating. However, do you have dual-enrollment available in your State once your child is 15/16? KEEP them occupied ,is my solution. With a good balance of FUN stuff, once home...so they don't get burned out,we should succeed. Besides, I am from Germany, and guess what: when we graduate at 18 from HS, we already have our "Abitur" wich equals largly an AA Degree.
    Peer pressure, you are going to have to deal with sooner or later anyways. Seem's to me you already dealing with it by thinking about it. As do I. My child might not to be accepted to the Florida Gifted Program, and at this point- I am not even sure I let her attend it.(many more questions need to be explained first). Well let us know, how you decide, and how things go afterwards.
    Sincerely, ClC

Originally Posted by fmrmr
    My son skipped 2nd grade partway through the year and it was not without some social struggles. First he got picked on by a child much bigger than him and my son is not very assertive. Then my son seems to recognize the 'cool' popular, athletic kids and seeks out friendships with them. He tries to be one of them and it's hard for me to witness because he is not an athletically-talented kid, especially compared with a bunch of much bigger kids- they are not mean though and seem ok with him.

This is very astute of him.

J
    J
    My dd started K when she was 4.4 years old and then skipped 1st grade.. She's a very outgoing child and makes friends very easily so socially she did not have any problems. She's 8 now and is in the finishing 8th grade this year. So that's a lot of skipping for her. But she fits right in.

G
    G
    Thanks for your thoughts. My husband (who started 2nd grade at 4 yrs, and then repeated 2nd grade because of social immaturity)is leaning towards just sending her to 1st because he worries about the social stuff that he encountered. I am leaning the other way. We are having a placement conference with the principal & teachers tomorrow. I'll let you know what we decide. Thank you!

T
    T
    I think it depends on the child. A lot of parents on here advocated skipping. My DS6 did skip kindergarten and is in 1st grade. The social side of it has not been pleasant for my DS. In Sept we are putting him in 1st when he enters public. He has been teased this year called a baby called disgusting (for picking his nose). When I told him all the kids will be his age in his new school, he was so happy. And the work is still too easy so I don't think a skip did anything to challenge him meanwhile it wasn't a positive experience socially/emotionally. Oh and he knows he is they youngest and hated being younger than everyone else, like being a higher age meant they were better than he was.

Traceygns

How terrible for your son! That is unacceptable and shame on the school for allowing him to be bullied.

What a different circumstance we had. Son skipped from 1st to second, quickly became the most popular kid in the second grade. Playdates too many to count and highly engaged socially. Were the situations reversed I too would have thought what the heck have I done!

It is possible that the new school will be different. I assume he wasn't in a public school before?

Last edited by marieg; 06/02/09 01:41 PM.
    T
    T
    Hi Marieg,
    Thanks for the message. Yeah it has been a rough year. He is in a montessori school now. When I told him he got into the gifted public he said "does the score determine the teasing level" So sad. This could def be a school issue more than a grade skipping issue. Well we hope next year he will be happier.

Glad to hear your son has had a good experience. Mother's guilt, I feel guilty for skipping him.

CFK #48721 06/03/09 09:50 PM
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by CFK
    As strange as it sounds a child should be working two grade levels ahead in order to support a one grade skip. You want your child to still end up at the top of the class they skip into, albeit with a smaller gap between him/her and the other classmates. Because of this, most whole gradeskips end up being stop gap measures which require further tinkering. A child should be able to perform well at the grade level above the one that he/she is skipping into, or other options such as subject acceleration should be pursued. A child shouldn't be put in a situation where they are struggling academically as well as socially.

Just wondering: why? I'm not sure I fully see the reasoning here.

It seems to me that if a child understands, say, grade 1 material in kindergarten, s/he should be able to skip to grade 2. Given that the child would have to be reasonably bright to do this, the grade 2 curriculum shouldn't present a huge challenge. From what I've read, even if second grade is challenging initially, many, many gifted kids will catch up by quickly and be ahead again soon.

Although I see the point about not wanting a child to struggle academically and socially, I'm not sure I agree with ensuring that the child remains at the top of the class? Why is this necessary? To me it seems beneficial to have to learn to work a bit at understanding something. I see and meet too many gifted kids and adults who never learned how to work through a challenge, and I'm convinced that the problem starts in primary school.

My DS skipped 3rd grade this past year and had an +3-by-age acceleration in maths. School was still too easy. The major benefit was that it was merely too easy, rather than mind-numbingly dull. And I don't think my kids have IQs near a lot of the kids I read about on this list.

I guess all this is a roundabout way of saying that gradeskips should be more widely available.

Originally Posted by CFK
    And finally, most of us are stumbling through this trying to do the best we can.

That I agree with.

Val

Val #48873 06/06/09 09:45 AM
    G
    G
    We met with the principal and teachers and decided to not skip my kindergartener to 2nd. For a variety of reasons, we concluded the better year to skip would be next year, going from 1 to 3.

But, we did decide at that meeting to skip my 1st grader to 3rd. :-) Now we are debating whether to continue with the math-pull out program and pull her up to 4th for math....

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM