Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #48851 06/05/09 02:58 PM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi my Ds will be 4 this fall so he is not due to start public school (K) for another two years. Our schools test at the end of second and then any GAT kids go to a one elementary school (which is also a regular elementary) starting in 3rd and they retest again I think in 5th and maybe 9th.

I have been considering homeschooling at least until I can get him tested and into 3rd. I know I could do it just fine and I have no problems with it but, Ds is adamant that he is going to school. I know it is my decision not his but, I also think Dh is more inclined toward public school. We do have a gifted private school in our city but, it is all the way across town so probably a 45 min. - 1 hr. drive in traffic.

My big question (in all this rambling) is what do I do to make first contact with the school? I could probably get him into K early he is only about five weeks past the cut off. That would be the 2010-11 school year. Should I call them, email, write a letter, or wait and get him tested?

I just wouldn't want to start off on the wrong foot with the school and put them on the defensive. Also if I start homeschooling him in K this year like I plan to he is really going to be ahead. I am assuming he will go through K and 1st very fast homeschooling. He is reading really well and doing beginner math now without me doing anything. He is also VERY tall for his age. People think he is 5 now.

Help! 8)

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Hi BigBadWool, are you talking about making contact with the public school or the gifted private school? I imagine that a different approach would be needed for each school, but I don't have any experience of US schools (based in the UK). I think that looking big for his age will also be a bonus for early K entrance, but I think that you will need to ensure that they can accommodate his needs or (in my opinion) it could adversely affect the way your DS feels about school if it is just too easy and he is bored. I think that it also depends on his personality, I know that my DS7 has very low thresholds for boredom and actually becomes very miserable, whereas my younger one enjoys the social aspect of school more than the work and doesn't seem to mind going over things that he can already easily do.

It might be good to have a chat to your DS to see what he wants to get out of school (is it tricky work, being around friends etc?) and then manage his expectations accordingly if you decided to go along the school route.

I know that a lot of people here have had lots of success with home schooling and it would be interesting to get their opinions, I am not sure how easy it will be to go back into a school environment at a later stage if your DS is so far ahead. People with US experience will be able to help.

I do remember reading somewhere that 4 is still a bit young to get tested, but I think that it depends on the test. My DS did the Stanford-Binet LM when he turned 6.

Sorry I can't be more help, that is all I can think of and are my opinions only - I don't have any experience of the US school system (except what I have read on this forum).

I think that it is wonderful that you are thinking ahead for your son. smile

I
    I
    Another idea is to call the district gifted coordinator for suggestions. I seem to remember St. Pauli Girl did this with good results.

Check with the district and see if they allow early admissions. In Colorado, if all of the superintendents in the BOCES (region) agree that it is ok then any school can do it. You may be able to find out on the state board of ed. webpage.

The public school gifted coordinators (at the district levels) were very nice and accomodating for us. We had variable results with private schools. However, if it is a school for gifted students, they'll be used to "gifted" parents.

I'd begin by just approaching them to learn more about the school (including a tour), to find out about admittance criteria (incl. school testing vs. private testing), and waitlists, etc. Then after you've been nice and you are sure you prefer it to homeschooling, you can start pushing for early entrance, etc.

Most schools in our area require applications in December and have made their decisions by March so you are right on time for a Fall 2010 start.

Mom to DYS-DS6 & DS3
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    I mostly was wondering about the public school. I don't think the private gifted school would find anything I have to say strange. 8)

I guess I am just kind of thinking of how the conversation would go and them being 'yeah, ok crazy lady'.

I really would prefer NOT to do early K admission but, I can't imagine him not going for two years he is ahead now. The other thing is he has speech issues and if he is in school he can get speech therapy there. I should probably just find a private therapist and not worry about it. I think with his speech issues it would be hard to test him now.

His personality, well he is an interesting one. He would much prefer to stand up with the teacher and 'help'. I think he doesn't think he is one of the little kids. This is something we have really been working on. He also gets bored very easily and wanders off to find something of interest. He is extremely independent (always has been) and very particular.

F
    F
    When ds7 was 4 years old (1 year from entering K), he was reading at around 1st grade level. We were worried so we went to our public school's open house to see if we can talk to any teacher. So we walked into K classroom and explained our situation to the K teacher, she said they always keep their kids together and they would never subject accelerate any K kids. Then we walked into 1st grade class. DS was very interested in their books. He took a book and sat down to read quietly. We were the only parents in that classroom, so we started talking to the teacher about DS. She said they probably will not be able to cater to kids that advanced. She also said to watch how his math level was like in a year. If his math level was also a couple grades above K in a year, we will have to look for some other schools.

After one year, DS's reading level was up to 2nd grade and his math level was at around 2nd grade also.

So we went to a charter school for K and 1. Next year, we will have to start homeschooling. There is a private gifted school nearby. However, even if we spend the money to send him to private school, I don't think private school will be a best fit for ds.

This is my first contact experience with schools. I know many people in this forum has good luck with their public schools. Most schools in my area has gifted coordinator onsite to deal with and provide challenging curriculum for advanced kids. Call the school and talk to the principal and gifted coordinator see what they would do for advanced kids in K.

Cindi
    M
    M
    I agree with checking with the school district. Check their web site to see if there are any policies regarding early entrance to K. You may also be able to see if they have any GT programs and how they are run. By checking the web site, you may get a feel for what you might be dealing with before you call.

Best of luck!

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thank you so much for all your replies. That definitely gives me a lot to think about and some routes to take.

W
    W
    I've been going through this now. DS (turning 5 in Aug) will be starting in an Independent study program in a neighboring district in K and be moved to 1st at the semester. He's currently doing 2nd grade reading and late second early/third grade math. His teacher will start him close to his level and then let him go as fast as he wants until he gets to stuff he doesn't know yet whatever that level may be.

The k then 1 stuff is because in CA you cannot start K before 5 at December of that year. However once they are in K they can be moved the same day to 1st if that's what the teacher thinks is right. Ridiculous... Anyway we're getting what we think he needs so it's working out.

It has been a long road though... It took me almost a month just to find someone in our district who even understood the concept of early entrance K. That person was the head of the GATE program and to this day she is really the only person in that district that "gets" it.

In some states Gifted Education falls under Special Education. If you are in one of those states you might have a bit more support from the schools than we have here.

My best suggestion is to find and talk to whoever is in charge of Gifted Education in your district. Keep it simple, be direct and don't apologize for your child. Do tell them about your concerns contacting the schools. The person you are talking to knows about gifted kids (hopefully) and should be at least somewhat sympathetic and understanding of your situation.

If you can get early entrance, meet the teacher you child will have BEFORE the year starts and make sure it is a good fit. I had a homeschool charter teacher lecture me for nearly half an hour against a grade skip in front of my son... Obviously we didn't end up there.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM