Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    VolcanoMom #48558 06/01/09 08:36 AM
    VolcanoMom:
    The week before, we had a qualitative assessment and were told to pull DS7 from school because school would never meet his needs and he needs to be homeschooled.

I'm always floored when I read that a parent was told this by the school! Considering new paths can be frightening....but I told myself that no decision is permanent so we're trying HSing for now!

K
    K
    Our school once told us something to that tune... I wish I had it in writing as I would have used it as leverage to say fine - that neighboring district has a top-notch gt program. You need to work it out with their adminstrators then and transfer our tax money over there. Of course, we were so new to this and equally floored we didn't paper trail it then... and now they sing a different tune. They still might be unable to meet our needs but they won't say it.

kickball #48588 06/01/09 03:30 PM
    V
    V
    Thanks. The school seems to want him out but not to homeschooling. The private assessment person was the one to suggest homeschooling and she was not connected to the school. It was actually a relief to hear because I've tried for over a year to make it work and I've made no progress. It's too painful to send him to public school and then try to homeschool in the evenings.

Kickball - the gifted coordinator, who told me DS7 wasn't her concern until 4th grade, suggested trying to transfer to the neighboring (more wealthy) district. It's not even a possibility so it wasn't very helpful except to make friends in that district feel better about their expensive house.

I'm still amazed that there are so many of us out there with similar issues. Now that I've been trying to figure out how to help DS for so long, I'm feeling better about HSing. We are still looking into private for next year but as you can probably tell, I'm confused and need to investigate options for extended periods of time before making a change.

VolcanoMom #48714 06/03/09 07:48 PM
    It does help to know that you're not alone, doesn't it?

Options are a good thing. And you have time to investigate and figure out what is your least-worst option (ala the Hoagies' article).

As Dazey says, none of your choices are irreversible here, so it's smart not to make it more stressful than the situation really is. If you try one thing and it doesn't work, you can always change your mind next semester or next year. Options are handy! smile

Kriston
    Kriston #48752 06/04/09 11:24 AM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Quick update:
    Right now the plan for next year is acceleration to 2nd grade (which would be an offical 1 year skip) with telescoping of the math curriculum to 4th or 5th grade (?based on testing done in the fall). There was also some mention of pre-testing but no firm plans were documented.

I am still hoping that our new private school will open in September and this will all just be a moot point. Since there are no state/district guidelines, nothing would force them to actually follow this plan or make further adjustments as needed.

Crisc
    crisc #48789 06/04/09 06:14 PM
    I hope the gt school will work. If not, accelerating to 2nd and 4th or 5th grade sound like a good plan. Hopefully the much needed break from school in summer will help too.

LMom
    LMom #48809 06/04/09 09:50 PM
    Hoping for the private school! C'mon, private school!

Kriston
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM