Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Here is my question: We are dealing with my DD9 who is coming along nicely with a partial enrollment for ELA in the public school and homeschooling the remaining subjects. We seem to be doing well there. Her new achievement scores are amazing.

The problem is how to deal with my older twin, DD6, who is rapidly advancing even faster than my DD9 did. I'm sure some of it is that she has been homeschooled from a younger age and given more opportunity to move ahead at her pace than my oldest DD9 did since she attended all public until this year. But it is becoming down right scary. I started "teaching" her to read this last fall and it is just silly. I finally came to the realization that I have been deluding myself since she obviously "knows" how to read and had her reading tested. She is easily reading at a fifth to sixth grade reading level. Duh Mom! (I guess it makes sense since my DD9 tests at about 10th to 12th grade in reading, her delay is writing related.) She refused to complete most of the comprehension aspect of the testing, that is so her personality, she doesn't test well for the most part. We are looking for full testing this fall.

How do you deal with siblings in this regard? I do not want this to become a competition and have worked so hard to make sure that especially my twins realize that they are all individuals with strengths and weaknesses. The problem is that these two DD's in particular are very similar personalities and are very competitive. I already feel guilty that I have held my DD9 back with my denial and it has taken a long time to get past that.

Anyone with suggestions or advice?

Last edited by melmichigan; 06/03/09 09:55 AM. Reason: grammar

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    I
    I

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you for the advice. I added the book to my wish list for a purchase very soon. I have done different curricula in reading for the twins so that they couldn't compare the fact that they are at very different levels. I try very hard not to talk about levels since my DD9 decided to tell the other kids at the YMCA that she was taking higher classes. She said it very matter of fact and with her asperger's I think she thought she was just answering their question but I try not mention grade levels, just the subject. I do the same with their cousin so my DD9 can't compare herself with him either.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM