Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    I have to recommend this book. I went into our small town eclectic/non-discount(!) bookstore today, swearing I was only looking and then I saw it (it's been out for a while, can't believe I've missed seeing it):

Grey Lady and the Strawberry Snatcher

I have only looked at one other Molly Bang book before, really liked the illustrations, but the illustrations in this book are sooooooo incredibly SMART, Beautiful, compelling I simply had to post about it. And yes, we walked out with it, dd3 hollering to ds8 about how he was going to LOVE it and read it to her over and over (it has no words smile )

This is also one of those slightly 'creepy' books that brothers and sisters will be talking about when they are 40 - 'remember that really scary book, with the completely bizarre but super cool illustrations??'
    (I know I have at least a couple of those delightfully exciting books in my memory.)

So, after really going head-over-heels about this book, I found this, for grown ups -
    Picture This: How pictures work
    It really looks likes a great introduction to some basics of composition beyond the formulaic - to express emotion. Could be a great book to read for anyone, homeschool or otherwise, who is trying to tackle composition with kids.

I
    I
    Thanks! I added those to my library reserve list. Looking forward to summer reading.

R
    R
    Flotsam by David Weisner - stunning engaging artwork and thought provoking
    http://www.amazon.com/Flotsam-Caldecott-Medal-David-Wiesner/dp/0618194576/ref=pd_sim_b_5

The Brave Little Tailor by Dugin and Dugina
    For a children's book the artwork is so detailed and captivating - I had to put this book on a high shelf to protect it, which isn't the idea I know, but if you get a copy you'll see why
    http://www.amazon.com/Brave-Little-...mp;s=books&qid=1243920903&sr=1-3

Rumplestiltskin by Zelinsky
    Again stunning, captivating artwork with a captivating classic story
    http://www.amazon.com/Rumpelstiltskin-Brothers-Grimm/dp/0140558640/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

R
    R
    Oh, and I found this at a local library, and I am thinking of buying a copy as the stories are so brilliant ( I want to read them myself, and little'un keeps asking me to read them again, and again, and again....)
    http://www.amazon.com/Fairy-Tales-F...mp;s=books&qid=1243921234&sr=1-2

OP Offline
    Those look incredible, thanks!! We have been Weisner fans for a while, since reading 'Tuesday', the one where the frogs float through the town and freak out the dog and then go back to normal laugh

Last edited by chris1234; 06/02/09 02:54 AM.
    N
    Nes Offline
    N
    I'm going to have to look for some of these!

Right now it's a Goldilocks and the Three Bears book that is my DS favourite (13 mons). Retold by Ian Robinson and Illustrated by Gerry Embleton, printed in 1980. In fact I just went to get it to find out who had illustrated it and I had to stop and read it too him. He had a fit because I've been hiding it from him, he's still a little rough with the old pages laugh. Lots of beautiful illustrations with little gnomes everywhere, those are my favourites, when the pictures show different little stories in every page.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM