Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Good morning, my 2nd grader tested 650 (98%) at the NNAT. Someone told me it's the highest score. The test is like puzzles, no reading involved. Now her Broward County Public School is referring her for further testing for gifted elegibility. Someone knows what test that would be? We speak Spanish at home. My daughter is at reading grade level, but her vocabulary is far from "gifted". I am concern, thank you for your help

R
    R
    hi chococat and welcome
    i'm not sure what test the school systems would do. Our school uses the InView test (which is not a very well known test). Other schools use different measures. We had a WISC-IV done by an independent psychologist. The WISC is probably the most well-known aptititude/IQ test but it must be given 1:1 with a psychologist, not in a group. I am sure there is a spanish language version that you could have a psychologist give to her. We paid $400 for my son to have it done- that is a good price here in NY, not sure what you'd pay in Florida. I hope someone on the board is from your county and can give more help smile
    irene

D
    D
    I am in Broward County as well. Our schools use the DASII (Differential Ability Scales) for further testing once a child has passed the pre-screening either the Naglieri (NNAT) which is done for all children in 2nd grade or another screening test which is done for children other than 2nd grade. The test is done in one day and they do report the results back to you fairly quickly. Sometimes the wait to have the test administered is very lengthy though. The DAS test has several subtests, some are vocabulary, but there is also patterns, numbers, blocks, recalling designs, etc. Let me know if you have any more questions and I will try to help.

F
    F
    We speak Spanish at home.

The fact that English is your second language should be accounted for during the test, it is a slight disadvantage during the verbal sections.
    In Polk County, Fl if you are a minority, 2nd language, or low income you will get into the gifted program with a score of 120 vs. the usual 130 mark. It is probably the case in Broward as well, because the State funds the the "Gifted" program.
    Welcome & congratulations on the good NNAT score!
    Check out Hoagies gifted website, it has alot of good info about the different types of test.
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/tests.htm

C
    OP Offline
    C

good morning Renie1:
    Thank you for your answer, all information is very helpful because I'm just starting to learn the "lingo", my daughter is very confident about the test, hopefully she'll do well. Thanks again!

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Good morning DorothyS
    Your post is VERY helpful. I haven't heard back from the school, and now we are in summer vacation as you know. I got her 2ndgrade report card yesterday and she has all "1", which is good. I'll keep her reading and doing math over the summer. Any suggestions how to practice for the DAS? Thank you again and have a great summer!

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Good morning Floridama
    Thanks for the tip! I'll check the website. I think my family will fell into the minority, because we speak spanish (even though my daughter didn't qualify for the ESOL program, they say she speaks English at grade level). I feel I do well enough with English but my vocabulary is limited. My husband doesn't really speak English. This is my first time in a forum or online community of any kind, (writing English e-mails is not easy for me),I can't believe how nice and helpful everybody's been! Have a great summer!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM