Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    X
    OP Offline
    X
    The principal just now emailed the teacher and I ds's schedule for the next two weeks after talking to the 2nd grade teacher. It looks like he will be going to class and recess time with 2nd grade and then go to lunch and it's recess with his 1st grade peers then back to 2nd grade for the rest of the day. At first I wondered why he just didn't go all day to 2nd grade until I realized they must want to add a comfort level in at lunch so he doesn't feel completely thrown for a loop.

He hasn't said how he feels about it yet. Dh and I asked him yesterday seperately if he knew where we went and what it was about. He told me "You went to talk with the principal cause I am talented" then ran off to play. He told dh "He knows! We had a meeting cause he is smart." It was a nice day so the kid's were outside playing and riding there bikes most of the evening until bedtime. We plan on telling him more details especially about being in a 2nd grade class for the next two weeks over the 3 day weekend. Dh doesn't want him to get overwhelmed and feel pressured so we are going slow and talking about it in a non-chalant when the oppurtunity arises way.

Last edited by xoxosmom; 05/22/09 02:44 PM. Reason: typos
    T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Sounds very under control - great job! smile

X
    OP Offline
    X
    Update: DS is enjoying his time in 2nd grade smile

We didn't make a big deal out of telling him he was being accelerated just brought it up throughout the weekend. He had some moments of apprehension and would ask questions allowing us the oppurtunity to reassure him. He was most apprehensive about his age in relation to the new grade. Saying things like "You have to be X age to be in X grade." bringing up different grades and their corresponding ages at various times. As long as we worked out the math portion and showed him he wasn't that much younger then his new peers it alleviated the fears. We also gave examples of children he knew that were already in that grade (if not the same school) as him. A cousin, a soccer teammate, etc.

He likes structure in his day as far as a schedule, so we gave him his exact schedule for the day. At this time this happens at that time that happens. His first day he went to school with only a tinge of trepidation that I could tell and from all accounts things have transitioned well.

Allowing him to acclimate these last weeks to second grade has been helpful. We are glad the GATE coordinator suggested it and they followed through. Since he is also starting the day with his 1st grade peers and eating lunch with them, he has the best of both world's. When we ask about the academics and what they are working on he talks about the subjects and the books he has been given where before he didn't want to talk about it. His academic confidance is coming back. laugh He is asking random questions and showing interest in figuring things out on his own. We realized he was just coasting before but seeing the spark come back in his eye really emphasizes how much he needed this. He is laughing again and his obstinance has taken a back seat for the moment.

I
    I
    Glad to hear the spark is back!

M
    M
    Glad to hear it is working well.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent