Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
    #4769 11/24/07 09:45 PM
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Hi,

I'm new here and just learned about the young scholars program, and found this forum. From what I've read on this site and my internet research, it seems that all the children who are in the YSP have been accelerated, or are true child prodigies (winning national competitions in piano or equivalent feats). Our child meets the WISC-IV and WIAT-II criteria, but is in a public school with a regular second grade curriculum at age 7 (they don't have gifted programs at that age anyway - they believe in differentiation, not acceleration). I'd like to apply, as I believe that many of the problems in his first years of school could have been avoided or lessened with the help of the YSP, but we are not in the same boat as those of you whose children are so many years ahead in reading, writing and math.

I'd appreciate your sharing your experiences and knowledge.

Thank you so much!

We've applied to the DYS program recently and are waiting to see if dd has been accepted or not. She is also 7 and in 2nd grade, like your son. Based on everything I've read, and the response from the ladies here, the YSP sounds like an excellent program. DD also scored well on the WISC IV and is doing accelerated work in school. She isn't a child prodigy like you described (nat'l awards, piano, math etc) but there's no question that she's PG.

I think your son would benefit from the program, especially if he has no acceleration options.

acs Offline
    Davidson runs 2 different programs that are easy to get confused even though they are different: the young scholars program (YSP) and the Davidson Fellows. The Fellows get awards for their prodigious accomplishments, whereas the YSP supports and nurtures highly/exceptionally/profoundly gifted kids who have great potential, but may or may not have accomplished at high levels. I remember getting these two progams confused when I was new to the website. It seems like the YSP would be good to apply to.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thank you all for your replies. We actually had our son evaluated because the first grade teacher thought he'd have trouble with second grade!!! He hated school and hated the school work - and the educational psychologist stopped most of the tests once he reached the upper ranges b/c it didn't matter any more for our purposes. She said he'd test even higher if he was willing to go further, but he was tired and tired of the testing so she stopped when he went high enough for her to understand the source of his frustration in the classroom. Needless to say, his last school was an utter disaster. At least he's happy in the public school, but I realize that my role as an advocate is far from over - and I need some clout behind me.

Thanks again for your repsonses. I have to say that this is one of the most polite message boards I've ever seen.

Hi questions,
    Welcome! Not all the YSP kids are accelerated, and my son is only accelerated by a single year, and that was just last year. He has made it quite clear that this is "just right" for him! Some of the kids are academic superstars and some are problem children and some are just nice normal appearing kids, particular from an adult view-point, if you don't have much experience with what normal children are truly like. Some kids go out of their way to fool their teachers and fit in, with elaberate stratagies for calibrating just how well then can do to get good grades and still fit in.

I would say that the number one concern of all the parents that I have talked to is about raising a decent human being. Profoundly gifted children have certian advantages and certian disadvantages on this path, and I've found it really helps to know what the other parents have discovered.

One of our jobs is to help our children understand themselves. Being around other parents of kids who scored similarly has really helped me know my child better, and be a better mirror for him to know himself. I don't see how I would have gotten that without the YSP.

Smiles,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    For those already in the YSP:

Were you able to find other parents in your area that you could talk with/meet or are the contacts purely online?

I ask because I live in a small little town but am just an hour away from the Davidson Academy. I sure would love to meet other parents and kids around here that we could talk with and meet.

(of course, we are still waiting on word on the YSP...hopefully we get the opportunity to be a part of it! Fingers crossed..we should know in a couple of weeks)

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thank you, Trinity. Your comments are helpful. We'll apply and see what happens.

I thought as homeschoolers we were reasonably well off without the YS program, but I eventually applied with the hope that I'd have some help with mapping out a plan for my unique children. Five years later, I am SO incredibly grateful to the Davidsons and their wonderful staff. I can see what a huge hole it would leave in my family's world if the program dissolved. The parent to parent contact is more amazing and helpful than I ever would have believed. The professional seminars are informative, the staff will do their best to answer off the wall questions and help with advocacy.

Most of all though, my kids now know what it is to be with true peers. I grew up feeling like a stranger in a strange land, and lonely as hell in the middle of a crowd. Nobody seemed to know the real me. I am thrilled that my kids have access to other "aliens" and will not have to journey through childhood trying to fit in and feeling like pretenders. They know that they are not alone after all.

Sorry to get so sentimental. If your child has the test scores, I encourage you to apply!

Last edited by Lorel; 11/26/07 04:11 PM.
    Originally Posted by Tammiane
    For those already in the YSP:

Were you able to find other parents in your area that you could talk with/meet or are the contacts purely online?

Tammiane,
    Yes, the YSP definitely helps you find other families in the PG community. For our family that has been the greatest benefit of the YSP. We have what some would consider a large group in our area. We (the parents) plan a variety of activities that provide the kids and parents opportunities to interact.

Another benefit of the YSP is that they provide private bulletin boards and e-lists specific to different needs and stages of raising a pg child.

Summer

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Tammiane,

I forgot to say good luck to you and your daughter! From the website, it looks like they respond in two weeks after the deadline - which is pretty amazing, considering what they are offering and how long the private schools around here take.

Good luck! Hope you get good news in the next few weeks.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM