Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    OP Offline
    I realized lately that I have become very distracted by constantly trying to frame what I will say to my DDs' teachers.

Let me explain and maybe I can get some guidance: cool

DD9, scores in the 140's WISC IV, and 152 Verbal, needs a plan for next year. She is currently just doing a one day a week GT pull out in 3rd grade, the program is not very challenging, we won't do it next year. She goes to a Jewish school, it is a dual language curriculum (Hebrew), so the administration has said that it is already enriched. Well, she is bored, very bored. We are currently also doing an online class through the Northwestern U Gifted online links. She likes it.

DD5 scores at 146 FSIQ, WWPSI. She reads, does 1st grade math, etc. Plays Clue, Battleship, writes emails, instead of what other kids her age do, feels kind of lonely in school. You get the picture, as I am not alone here. She is going into K, same school, dual language, etc. No, the school isn't into skipping a grade. She might do the one day a week pull out program that our county provides.

They are both taking the achievement tests in Mid May, to see if they will qualify for DYS. That would really help us.

I am meeting with next years' teachers soon. It is a very small school, no doubt who they will be.

OK, so my questions are:
    1) How do I talk to their next year's teachers? I think I want some subject acceleration for both of them, DD9 for language arts, DD5 for language arts and math? Do I talk about their scores, or do I mention just what they have achieved in terms of school work?

2) Do I give the teachers any articles about HG kids, or is that obnoxious? Do any of you have a handy file of good articles, or do I just refer to Davidson and Hoagies?

smirk
    Thanks, I have tried in the past to describe what my kids need, but it hasn't gone well and teachers haven't "gotten" them. The dual language curriculum is nice and the mitzvah projects (charity projects) add a nice part to their day, but I am going to lose faith in the school if I can't find a way to accomodate these kids.
    smirk

OP Offline
    You bring up several good points. Why have the conferences now? I guess I can re-think that. I was thinking that arranging for subject acceleration is tricky, and they would want to plan, or something of that sort.

No, not everyone has a conference, I was trying to be communicative and pro-active. I will definitely not tell them what to do, that is good advice. I was thinking of sharing our experiences and asking what they think (with some guidance in mind). I honestly don't know if I will have a receptive audience, but if I wait until school starts I worry that I will be made crazy watching a "boring" start to the school year. Maybe this is folly on my part.

I like how you phrased what I could open with, I will keep that in mind. Thanks!

J
    J
    I'm about to call the school my son will start in August and was going to ask the same question that you just asked smile

This year I did give his teacher some articles (after she asked for them) that I know that she didn't read so I don't know if I'll go that route again. I tried to talk to her about his abilities (that as a teacher she should have been able to see) but once again it took her months to actually realize some of the things he was capable of.

I hope that you're able to get them to help you and your daughters out!

J
    J
    I know that for me I want to call before next school year because this school year it took probably 6 months before DS was even allowed to bring in workbooks from home while he was waiting for the other kids to finish their work (not exactly what I had in mind when I asked for extra work for him). I'd like to start now so that hopefully before mid-year next year he'll have some work that is challenging to him.

A
    A
    Jamie,
    Perhaps if you bring in some articles, phrase them as your starting point for your requests for your kids. You wanted the teacher to have them and look them over so that you are both talking the same language next year. You might tell her you will gladly work with her and try to help out with what is necessary. You might also tell her that you thought with the entire summer ahead of you, perhaps you and her could get something in place before the year, because you do want to cause minimum disruption to the plans she has for the rest of the class. I would definitely talk scores, but just to give the teacher a concrete starting place to work from. Lots of parents think their kids are bright. The numbers will make the teacher understand that yours are above the norm and that your concerns are based on evidence.

These are just my two cents. I like teachers to feel like even though I am going to stand my ground about getting my children what they need academically, that there are lots of different routes to get that, and that I am a partner in this. I also think that approaching the teachers early is a great approach because if your child is disruptive when bored, the teacher will shift focus to behavior once class has startedand you will have to constantly redirect the teacher to speak with you about the academics.

OP Offline
    Thanks, Artana. I was thinking of bringing in a list of ideas for next year, so that they have concrete options in front of them.

I agree, it makes me seem like less of a "nut" if I show scores, but I also cringe at the thought of bringing in their IQ scores, at the same time. I guess I have to get over that.

A
    A
    Gah. Sorry elizabethmom. I should have addressed my reply to you.:(

OP Offline
    No problem. I was just looking at articles to print out to possibly give to the teachers. Davidson has one called "Frequently asked questions about giftedness" that looks helpful.

OP Offline
    I am back from one of those meetings. The 4th grade teacher for next year met with me.

I did bring scores with me. I brought IQ, as we have an appt to do Weschler Achievement in 3 weeks and the standardized aren't back yet for this year's regular school testing.

She refused to work on plans for next year in terms of subject acceleration or a specific plan for our DD or anything. She listened to me, she talked about how much harder the curriculum was than the 3rd grade, talked about her teaching philosophy, and then basically said "we'll see" after the first few weeks. She asked to see achievement scores when we have them. I was glad that I had articles to give her, maybe she will read them.

This gets quite personal, doesn't it, with these teachers. They don't want to accept that what they offer isn't enough for a kid like mine, so they talk about how great their curriculum is. I could see that she just can't imagine a child not being challenged by her and her curriculum.

Now what? I am feeling frustrated.

A
    A
    Does your state have GIEPs?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM