Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Tiz,

We have the same issue with a 3 grade skip. My DS6 has had classes with the 3rd grade all year so when he gets to 4th there will be a lot of kids that he has already been in class with. That still doesn't alleviate the worry about "What next"? This year the older kids have for the most part treated him like the class mascot and like your son, my DS gravitates to the older kids.
    Maybe a couple of weeks in we can compare notes!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    T
    Tiz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi Shari,

Good to know that there are people out there in a similar situation - I know what you mean about the "What next" worries! At least we have this forum for support smile

Tiz #48100 05/22/09 10:27 AM
    X
    X
    Originally Posted by Tiz
    We have been asked not to tell him for the next couple of weeks while they iron out all the details amongst the staff! I think that he must suspect something and we did casually mention a one year skip which he wasn't against, not sure if a 2 year skip will seem very scary to him (well it is to me!).

We will definitely be able to tell if it isn't working as DS changes a lot when he is unhappy at school - in the past when he has been bored at school he has been intolerable at home. I think that the higher "base level" of work is really going to suit him. smile

Doesn't it feel good to finally have some options and make a decision even though on the inside you are biting your nails. smile I know once we made the decision dh and I felt more confident in our ability to take on future academic challenges.

My ds is the same way about not coming right out and saying that he is bored or something is off at school but he has specific "tell's" that alert us.

Good Luck please keep us posted.

T
    Tiz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    xoxosmom - never mind fingernails, I'm moving onto my toenails! But yes, it does feel good to finally make a decision. Roll on September... (I'm bound to have no sleep between now and then) smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM