Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 155 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    X
    OP Offline
    X
    eek I am glad we can finally discuss things and anxious at the same time as I am sure you all can relate too. It is right after school, so dh is going to pickup the kids and drop them off, then meet me at the meeting. I am so glad he will be there to be another eyes, ears and voice in ds's educational needs.

I have no idea what will be offered except that a grade skip will be discussed and I have a feeling the high acheiver vs gifted topic will come up. Still not sure how I want to approach that but am hoping to be tactful, straightfoward and friendly while getting ds's needs met regardless.

I will post an update this evening.

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Good luck and thinking of you - good that you have your dh for support. Looking forward to hearing how it went. smile

Good LUCK!!!!!!!!!

Mia Offline
    What happened??

Mia
    I
    I
    Inquiring minds want to know! Hope it was a success grin

X
    OP Offline
    X
    Sorry for not being able to update yesterday. tired I had modem and internet connection problems. The darn thing kept kicking me off the internet. Anyway...

I was a bundle of nerves, I got myself thinking too many worse case scenarios most likely. The principal started out with the test's ds had taken. He scored 90% on the math portion and 96% on the reading portion on the end of the year 2nd grade tests. She went over the questions he had missed and in her opinion it was how the question was worded that tripped him up not the actual comprehension. I looked the tests over and have to concur especially after seeing the amount of questions and the STAR results. The math test only had 20 questions while the reading test had about a 100 questions.

DS's STAR test's were scored at about 4th grade mid year level for reading and 4th grade end of the year for math. He scored better and showed more growth on math then reading. The opposite strengths of what the other tests indicated. The one thing that stuck out about the STAR test is that he was given the reading portion towards the beginning of the year and his reading level only went up about 50 points. The principal even made a comment about it, saying something to the effect "of course it wasn't a major jump cause he did start our at a 797" I may have imagined the little motion of the eyes and the look at the teacher. In my opinion it was the easiest thing for the teacher to differentiate by at least giving him at level books to read but she just wouldn't do it until I started X'ing out the too easy work on his homework and supplementing chapter books myself. I think it really showed he hasn't been given reading work at his level.

The teacher then talked about his classroom skills and his ability to make friends. No suprises there since she basically repeated everything we had discussed in previous conversations. DH and I do feel school is a two part experience with social and academics.

The GATE coordinator offered her suggestion's and we asked her and the principal to follow up on them. She feels it would be in the best interest of ds to go to a 2nd grade class for the remaining 2 weeks to get acclimated to his new grade and have a chance to make friends so next year he will recognize some of the kids in his class and it won't feel so new. She also offered to test him for GATE and take it to committee. They aren't sure there will be a pull-out GATE program next year (I suspect because of budget cuts) but she feels it would be beneficial so he can be oficially clustered in the GATE classes. From previous experiences with our daughter we know they cluster the identified GATE students and high-achievers in one class, sometimes two classes depending on the grade, with a teacher that has taken Gifted and Talented education courses. This will also allow ds and us better access to her and the gifted program. She also suggested we pick up the book Genius Denied. smile

The only concern dh voiced was that he suspects they will see ds begin to pull back because ds is alot like him and in new situations they like to get a read on things before joining in. We both voiced the concern that DS has not been challenged since starting elementary school so nobody has seen the stubborn side of him yet. The GATE coordinator agreed completely that he will most likely start to get the proverbial feeling that he is the little fish in the big pond.

Wow this got long. blush I am so grateful for this board and all of you. I started this school year out confused and frustrated not knowing what direction to take. Everyone has been so kind and helpful. Thank you. I am also grateful for a principal that took our concern's seriously and the GATE coordinator for being available and competent. We live in a very rural small town without alot of options especially education wise. It is a relief that they are attempting to meet his needs.

Some of you might remember I was very hesitant to grade skip and I felt like I was feeling around in the dark. I think we are at a good place at the moment with him accelerating to 3rd grade and getting GATE testing. It is alot better then where we started. We will just have to wait to see what Spring and a new school year brings. Some wise person posted don't look to far into the future only look at your son's academic needs at the moment.

I
    I
    Yahoo!!! Glad it went well and thanks for the update. smile smile smile
    P.S. I think it's a good sign they're recommending Genius Denied to you rather than the other way around. shocked

Last edited by inky; 05/22/09 10:29 AM.
    Sounds like the meeting was very productive. I am glad the school is willing to work with you to meet your DS's needs.

Hopefully as his needs change the school is going to continue to be willing to work with you! smile

Crisc
    M
    M
    Genius Denied is a wonderful resource. I'm glad the meeting went well and things are looking positive for next year. smile

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    So pleased to hear that the meeting went well smile It is great that they are trying to accommodate your DS's needs. Please keep us posted on how his two remaining weeks with the 2nd Grade go. Have you told your DS yet, if so how does he feel about it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM