Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Hi ColinsMum, have you had your meeting yet? We were meant to have ours this afternoon, but it has been re-scheduled for Tuesday frown I guess I just like certainty and find all the waiting hard!

Hope all goes well for your meeting.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Nope, ours is not till Wednesday. Good luck with yours!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    ColinsMum, did you have your meeting yesterday and if so how did it go?

C
    OP Offline
    C
    So we had our meeting yesterday and < happy sigh >. We seem to have found a good school, indeed.

That said, nothing was all that concrete, so we'll have to see how it pans out - but as we went in not very keen on the obvious concrete step, having him skip a year, that's fine. The Head's approach and attitude was everything I could have wished. There was no mention of any need to concentrate on DS5's accuracy or speed or ability to write numbers the right way round, for example. The Head did seem to get how maths is for DS; it was he, for example, who said that DS didn't need much if any repetition of things. They'd had the head of maths and the special needs teacher talk to DS and consider the year-skip option carefully; the Head opened the meeting basically by warning us that he thinks DS will need to skip a year at some point, but not right now. Apparently this does not necessarily mean that he will come out the other end of this school a year early. For arcane reasons I won't go into, the final "year" of the school is already multi-age and flexible enough to allow some children (and most of the brightest) to be there more than one year; if DS "arrived" there early, he could stay there for 3 years if that was the right thing. (Or not - but at least he wouldn't *have* to leave this school because he'd got to the fixed end of it.)

So no year skip for now, but probably next year. For now, the head of maths will work with DS's class teacher to make sure he has maths that challenges him, and may also talk to him and give him puzzles etc.; the head may also get involved, he sounded keen :-) They don't currently have a recreational maths club, but starting one was on the agenda anyway and they will try to get that going. If that's not possible (or maybe anyway) they'll look at putting DS with a higher year maths group ("we'd put him with the top set obviously, no point otherwise") either sometimes or systematically, next year, so that he gets a chance to work with other people at his level.

No problems with us continuing with ALEKS at home as long as it interests DS; I handed over a worksheet and mentioned the possibility of DS doing them in class, so we'll see, but I'm not bothered what it is he gets to do in class provided it's not boring to him, and that seems assured. Some useful discussion of senior schools, too.

Phew :-)

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Great new ColinsMum - sounds like a productive meeting and a flexible school (I especially like the sound of the final "year"!) smile

Have they arranged to meet with you again to discuss progress etc. or is it all quite relaxed and you feel like you can request a meeting when you see the need?

Now you can relax and enjoy the summer...

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Tiz
    Have they arranged to meet with you again to discuss progress etc. or is it all quite relaxed and you feel like you can request a meeting when you see the need?
    It's all quite relaxed. There'll be a brief meeting with DS's class teacher anyway towards the end of this term, I think (we have half a term to go - a week off next week, then school till mid-July), and if that doesn't give us enough information I'd be happy to request a meeting. The head is going to follow up the meeting in writing, he said. If he hadn't said that I'd have been following up in writing to him instead; I guess if his letter leaves out things we think are important we can remind him of them in a friendly reply. A race to get one's letter in first seems unseemly :-)[/quote]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM