Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    W
    W
    I'm inclined to agree with Dottie--her giftedness will let her blend in the new grade level gifted classes so option B seems fine. And I'll add (from my own experience of this same skip two and a bit decades ago) that being eased into non-gifted classes after a grade skip was actually detrimental because the new peer group's social and academic norms were distinctly different from those of the gifted group I was used to and they were less than pleased to have a younger hand-waving-in-the-air kid join them. I had to switch to a gifted class within a few months to address bullying, and it meant an extra transition.

S
    S-T Offline
    S
    Hi,
    It's great to read abt how much your school is willing to do for your child! smile
    Since it is just for a quarter and the end result is the same, plus the school has already outlined the detailed pros and cons and is strongly for A, I would go for A. Reason: It is obvious that the school will be willing to do for the long haul. So I would take their advise on this. What's your dd's preference?

marieg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    You are all sweet to reply. We have to tell the school by Wednesday, when we meet again to assign a schedule for the social worker and guidance counselor to meet with her on a regular basis.

My DD was the first child in recent memory to skip a grade in the district, or at least as far as anyone can remember. That's why they are concerned.

I figured out how to share the two options. I think it is worth seeing their thoughts as well. "HAL" = Gifted (high achievement learners).

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/dgmarie/Option1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/dgmarie/Option2.jpg

I just realized something...they are worried about a 1.5 year acceleration...she attended their 6th grade HAL literature class in the 3rd grade for a 6 week trial (she got an A). That's a 3 yr acceleration. And this year she is taking their 6th grade HAL literature for the entire year (4th grade to 6th grade). That's a 2 year acceleration.

I'm begining to see the light on option 2 now.

Last edited by marieg; 05/15/09 09:25 AM. Reason: a thought occured.
    M
    M
    With the level of support she is receiving how can your girl not do AWESOME! Really, your school sounds AWESOME and I too am green with envy! Everything about the TAG program at my daughter's school seems to be top secret. Her testing was performed by a psych and an educational diagnostician run by an our distcit "Special Services" and "Special Education Center." The gifted teachers, and I presume all of the special ed teachers are hired and maintained by this center, so the school principal, staff, etc. have little involvement with the gifted program. I SO, SO, SO wish my daughter could go to a school like yours!

A
    A
    Good luck. Skipping a grade and going to middle school early sounds like a hard transition in and of its self, all other issues aside.

marieg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I think we've decided now on Option 2

Here's why:

--She's already completed 6th gifted reading. Having her take standard 6th reading again isn't going to help her.

--All children have transition issues to middle school.

--The standard math and science, based on the schools posted schedules seem to be a lot of what she knows at a high level already, including repeats of some math. I don't see this as being too challenging to the point she collapses or anything.

--The gifted social studies covers areas she currently loves and reads about.

--The gifted language arts classes seem totally doable currently. She has 25 on the Explore for English and reading. I have to believe this won't overwhelm her.

--And the biggest thing: If we start her in all standard classes, and try to move her after a quarter, she'll have to make yet another transition, and get dropped into the higher level classes mid stream, which I think would be more stressful.

Well, we're not perfect and we've struggled to decided. But this is what I think we've come up with and we can only hope it is the right thing.

Originally Posted by marieg
    --And the biggest thing: If we start her in all standard classes, and try to move her after a quarter, she'll have to make yet another transition, and get dropped into the higher level classes mid stream, which I think would be more stressful.

I agree Marieg!
    Bingo!
    and I read the write ups - LOL, they say that having alternate assigments in her HAL English 6 would be 'isolating' yet they didn't have a similar fear of having her do independent book assignments in the 'Core' English....

My son skipped 5th, and he did get tripped up on the Math. He also was 'overwhelmed' by the increased product. What saved him was his typing speed. I'd offer her big bucks to become proficient at touch typing if she isn't already. Older kids tend to have more stamina and be able to stay up later to do homework in setting were kids are getting 1 to 2 hours a night - typing was the great leveler - my son could do the work in one third the time and still get to bed mostly on his typing speed.

Given her IQ scores, I hardly think a 1.5 year acceleration is 'beyond the scope of acceleration reccomendation.' And I do think that choice A may place her with kids who have a different relationship with learning and school than choice B, or as they put it: 'may not foster peer relationships.'

You already know how much writing is going to be assigned for HAL english 6, so you are in a great position to understand how much work seems expected at your school. If she could do it as a 4th grader, then she certianly can do it next year. How much harder will social studies be than english?

As for math, I'd be strongly tempted to have her do the equavalent of 5th and regular 6th grade math over the summer so that you can be sure that you can go for option B without missing the chance to 'allowing exposure to critial components of 5th grade curriculum.' ALEKS math is a quick online way to see where she stands. Would I then push for her to get HAL Math and Science next year? Depends on your kid, but I've noticed that one main cause of perfectionism, is the specific lack of self confidence that comes from lack of academic challenge. First see how she does with ALEKS, and then you can always suggest it in the fall. In the long run she gets there when she is ready - because your school is terrific!!!!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    FWIW - I agree with your logic! smile

It makes sense to me as well. Sometimes with these kids you have to just go for it! Since they don't come with a manual, you have to go with your gut and worry about tomorrow when you have to.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    marieg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Well the meeting is done and option 2 is the way we are going.

The meeting was nerve wracking, however! The 6th grade gifted (HAL) teacher was there and she was VERY unhappy with the prospect of potentially coming up with a curriculum for one student because she did not like the idea of DD repeating essentially the same class all over again (I thought this was interesting since the school had no qualms about recommending she not only take 6th grade reading again, but at the lower level). The Dist Super was there and the principal and all agreed that she didn't need to do that. We all felt that DD loved reading so much that it wouldn't necessarily burden her to re read some of the classic novels (which she can read in a day or two). By the end of the lengthy convo I think we all agreed having an "Easy A" in reading was the least of the issues. If we cannot move her to 7th grade reading, this is better than nothing. It is just going to be a transition year.

I do not think the middle school principal supported option 2. you get a vibe that is unmistakeable. Plus he kept saying "IF we choose option 2." I don't get the warm and fuzzies from this team.

Well, it is done. But I will be glad when school is in session and this is behind us. I just hope all goes smoothly in the Fall.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM