Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #47681 05/18/09 05:31 AM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    We are trying for a grade skip for my DD7 this next year from 1st to 3rd. In our school district the principal decides. We have a meeting set up with the committee (principal, gifted coordinator and her current teacher for both 1st and 2nd, she splits a day) for Wednesday. We heard the principal is extremely anti-skip and wants DD7 to be accomodated in just the 2nd grade classroom next year so we asked to meet with her alone. We will be meeting with her tomorrow and then the group the following day. Please send good vibes our way. Any advice that you feel will help us "seal the deal" would be welcome.

Last edited by DorothyS; 05/18/09 05:32 AM.
    I am sure the reason he wants her to "accommodate in second" is because third is just practice the test. I'd stay in second and skip third. Second is easier to work around. Third is the roughest grade in school (in most schools) and it can be really boring. She could actually get ahead and miss all that "test dribble" by skipping third.

Kids in our school - especially the bright ones - were so stressed out in third that they were having nightmares and stomach problems. I was so glad when she completed that grade.

F
    F
    If a full skip is out of the question you could try for a partial skip, it sounds like you may already be doing that. Are your DD's teachers on your side?
    If your P still insist on in class accomodations, make sure he gives you a spefic detailed plan. Don't settle for vague answers!Insist on a detailed plan of action! Always write down your questions before the meeting and take notes while you are there. Good luck and lots of good vibes coming your way!

M
    M
    Sending good vibes your way.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Good luck! I hope you get what you want. I suppose for the meeting with the principal, you could find out her reasons against a skip, and then respond to them when you hear them. In general, it seems that a skip would be easier for a school, especially if one skip would be enough to challenge a child (no extra work for the teachers then).

If your principal is making the decision, how objective will this be? What criteria does he use? How has he used this in the past? I would strongly question them if they do not use the Iowa Accleration worksheets to assess acceleration. What you don't want is one man's personal opinion setting policy.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    The principal has not ever done a grade skip before so there is no set precedence. DD had testing done in the school and privately and she tests HG. She has also taken end of year 2nd grade testing recently, I haven't been given the results yet. Our school also does the SAT10 testing in 1st and DD scored a 97%. I mentioned the IAS manual to principal and staff, but no one had heard of it. DD would meet the criteria for acceleration. Unfortunately, in our district, one of the top ten largest in the country, there is no written criteria, just the decision being made by the principal. I am just hoping that we can "squeak" enough and get what we feel is best for our daugher. I think the principal feels like she did not make a good decision letting DD split a 1/2 day in 1st and 2nd because it led to us wanting more so now she doesn't even want to do that. I'm just praying for a change of heart tomorrow and permission to skip 2nd which would allow her to continue on with her 2nd grade peers she made this year. Thanks for all the good vibes.

Decide by actually meeting and knowing the teachers. I have seen a trend of the best teachers opting for second grade. Once they go through basic training (third grade), they go to the second grade where they can actually teach. For a giftie, the teacher counts the most. If you get a strict, by the book teacher three grade levels higher, it is worse than a teacher who allows your child to accelerate at a lower grade level.

I have had to move my daughter based on philosophy. Gifties are so sensitive to rigid teaching.

And no - principals usually don't get it. Their goal is passing the tests.

F
    F
    For a giftie, the teacher counts the most.

I agree 100%

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Well I will need to wait longer to hear the outcome. Someone we had our wires crossed and the meetings were not this Tuesday and Wednesday, but rather next week. It sure puts us very close to the end of school for a plan so must admit am very nervous about that.

Ellipses - the funny thing about this whole thing is we really like her 2nd grade teacher now, who would be her 2nd grade teacher next year. Unfortunately, the teacher has told us that she is not able/willing to differentiate much for her so the year would just be a repeat of what she already did in her class this year. The 3rd grade teacher we don't know much about, but her personality looks like it leaves to be desired. Maybe we just got a bad read on her. The reality though is this 3rd grade teacher will be her teacher when she takes 3rd no matter when it is if she attends the same school and we keep her in the gifted program because she is all there is. I hope next week to have some answers finally.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM