Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #47199 05/12/09 01:09 PM
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    If costs were equal what would do here as the major strengths/drawbacks to either of these programs. Whether the school formally allows it to replace "school math", we are considering something to just let her "be free" (and frankly nobody wants me responsible for tutoring in math).

Thanks for any thoughts

kickball #47203 05/12/09 01:39 PM
    Q
    Q
    Hi, kickball,

Here's my opinion based upon my DS's use of EPGY Grade 3 and Aleks Grade 3 and 4. FYI, he does NOT like math.

EPGY:

plus: very comprehensive; I was confident that he was getting everything and then some (although now that I think of it, can't remember what problem-solving was covered)

negative: (very, very) dry and very, very long. Not only that, but even if he knew something, he had to do all the exercises again and again and again (and again and again and again). Yes, the system would react and let him move on if he knew something, but he still had to add and input numbers from right to left and then left to right and then right to left, etc. Can't remember how many exercises there were, but over 1,000 (he's at 2,900 in EGPY LAW 3-6 - yikes!). [At least Aleks placed him in the middle or toward the end of every course - EPGY made him start from the beginning and do ALL the exercises - but maybe that was CTY's fault for not giving him any sort of placement test - Aleks has placement tests and places the children at the appropriate spot in the course]

Aleks: definitely subscribes to the theory that if you know it you can move on. He never did the extra problems. Could move on if he answered correctly three times in a row. When he started a new session, there would be a list of areas that might need more practice. He always skipped these, yet did very well on the assessments. No problem solving in 3rd or 4th grade math and I'd have to wonder how much he learned if he did 4th grade in less than two months, not working on it that often. It's nice that after the assessment, he moved on far ahead in the next grade (e.g., 3.6, 4.6), so that he wasn't starting again at 0.

On the negative side for my DS, no sound, no animation. Yet, it taught him to be independent. He definitely did it all on his own, which was a huge improvement. Also, taught him to be more careful in his transcription and typing b/c errors could bring him backward in his pie as well as forward.

He likes quicktables (basic arithmetic practice) b/c it can earn games.

My opinion: if the school allows it and your DD tolerates it, I think EPGY would be the better choice for a comprehensive curriculum. But check it out first. It's boring to listen to the same voice over and over while working in a monochromatic screen. Aleks was better formatted and easier visually. (This sort of stuff makes a difference to my DS) He definitely would NOT recommend EPGY. He absolutely HATED math after EPGY. Now he tolerates it.

Last edited by questions; 05/12/09 01:41 PM. Reason: Added info re: placement tests.
    questions #47623 05/17/09 07:11 AM
    M
    M
    We are currently using ALEKS and this has been one of my questions lately. For summer I am trying something different. I am still using ALEKS but am having my DD use yourteacher.com. I have her look up what she would do on her pie and then go to the your teacher site and do the work associated with that idea and then return to ALEKS to do the few questions once she has the concept down. This works because she is in the higher levels on ALEKS and most of what isn't filled in in her pie is covered in the pre-algebra on yourteacher.com.

I considered EPGY but everyone I talked to said the same thing as above, very dry. My DD was fed up with math when we started homeschooling and very done with constant repetition of things she had mastered so I was very concerned that EPGY would eliminate what little "like" she has found for math. We are looking at PLATO for formal pre-algebra (their algebra I) once she has finished ALEKS 6. I think some of it may be review but I want to make sure she has a good foundation before we move on to Algebra (their algebra II).

Forgot to add: I'm trying it because the homeschoolbuyersco-op had yourteacher.com at a good price for 6 months covering the summer.

Last edited by melmichigan; 05/17/09 07:13 AM. Reason: added idea

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    DD did a trial of Aleks over our winter break. I think I might have started her at a wrong level, because it had content she had learned a couple of years ago. She spent a couple of hours doing simple multiplication and division and felt bored. She will start pre-Algebra in the fall and it is a gifted course with in depth study of some topics. She is now completing 6th grade gifted math. Where should she begin with Alex?

Jen

Mommy2myEm #47654 05/17/09 07:24 PM
    Q
    Q
    Jen,

She needs to take the placement test. The levels have significant repetition of subject matter (as you can see from the scope and sequence on the website, and as I saw from the fact that doing well on the final grade level assessment placed DS at over 65% of the next level). The good thing is that it credits prior knowledge, so it does not make the student repeat if he or she demonstrates knowledge.

questions #47668 05/18/09 04:50 AM
    M
    M
    You might want to look at the scope and sequence and the recommended order listings before picking a starting point to take the placement test at as well. Then if she has finished 90% of the pie after the assessment you can move her to the next level and it will pick up that last 10%.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM