Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    E
    elh0706 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Update:
    We had another school meeting recently. I think that the specials (GT teacher, Emotional support and Guidence Councelor) in the room finally got the problem. The regular classroom teachers for this year and next seem resistant (maybe just not understanding that gifted does not always mean high acheiving) to understanding the issues for DS.

I'm on a teeter-totter right now. I'm thrilled that some of the issues I've been trying to get across have reached some ears. We will be making some changes to his IEP. Also, there is talk (FINALLY!) of letting DS keyboard at least some of his writing assignments if he puts the effort in this summer to bring up his typing speed. Also the specials all seem to be in agreement that the volume of work DS is expected to do is more than he can physically and emotionally handle right now and exceeds that required of his age peers.

Now, I'll be a bit more optomistic if the regular teacher gets a better understanding of 2E in the classroom. I got the impression that she might not have every knowingly had a 2E child in her class. Comments like he lacks focus and direction, needs to pay attention better, doesn't get straight 100's, he could be doing more to get further ahead but lacks ambition make me concerned. She seems to equate gifted with high achieving. She has had him for a subject skip this year and will most likely be his ful ltime teacher next year. On the positive side the others in the meeting seem to understand that she might have been missing the 2E piece of the puzzle.

Keep you fingers crossed please!

I
    I
    Did the regular teacher seem open to learning more about 2E? Hopefully you and the specials can broaden her view between now and the start of the school year.
    Do you have any follow on meetings planned? If not, I'd follow up with at least a letter summarizing the planned IEP changes, workload reduction, and keyboarding.
    May the forward momentum will continue!

E
    elh0706 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Inky,
    We are meeting again the first week of June and also the first week of the school year next Fall to work out details for the IEP and make sure everyone is on the same page. I've been assured that his teacher is one of the best in the school for learning new tricks so I'm cautiously optomistic. I really do hope that she is able and willing to learn about 2E. I am also following up with a letter summarizing my understanding of yesterday's meeting.
    Taking deep breathes and praying!

THe meeting sounds promising! All fingers crossed!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM