Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 40 of 268 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 267 268
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Bassetlover
    Oh, another brag, DD13 can now successfully solve the Rubik's Cube in about a minute!!!

Time to buy the Rubik's Cube 4 x 4. My son was so excited to start work on that one once he solved the 3 x 3.

J
    J
    Oh, another brag, DD13 can now successfully solve the Rubik's Cube in about a minute!!!

That's cool! Even with a how-to tutorial, I haven't been able to solve the Rubik's Cube. I was pretty happy as a kid to solve the pyramid, though.

For my brag...my 7 year old just completed his 3rd and 4th grade final exams. He earned a 97.5% on both (missed 1 problem on each) even though we only officially did half of each year's curriculum. That means he's passed three years of math this year. He's been teaching himself everything fractions and decimals which are the core components of his 5th and 6th grade math curriculum. He's anxious to get to algebra. LOL

Rockets are so much fun!!

The multi-stage rockets are awesome to build!!

B
    B
    Originally Posted by DorothyS

Time to buy the Rubik's Cube 4 x 4. My son was so excited to start work on that one once he solved the 3 x 3.

I know your right! And she's been begging me for it, but none of the stores have them! I'll have to get it online.

B
    BKD Offline
    B
    I know this is pretty small biccies on this site - but where else can I say it! - we discovered yesterday that DSjustturnedfive can read his own story books. There's a library reward program that offers tattoos and stickers for books read, so he sat down and read it out to us. I knew he knew some words, but not to the extent of "luckily he had glue in his back-pack" eg. DS6 obviously feels a little under pressure - so he sat down at breakfast this morning and read out Captain Underpants. He didn't get every word, but then I would have fallen over if he'd managed 'orthopaedic'. So why did this only happen yesterday/today? Sometimes (reasonably often?) I feel like just flopping my head down on the desk and giving up. My children are driving me crazy.

T
    T
    I'm very excited and encouraged.

My DS7 who grade skipped from 3 to 4 eleven weeks ago has just received his first report card. He had a bit of a time transitioning and has struggled with the organisation and self-management.

His report shows he is performing at the 'expected' level for year 4 across the board!! (Even in Italian, which he is 12 months behind in).
    The teacher was restricted in her grading because he had not completed many tasks (is rapidly improving this too). He also received lovely comments from the teacher and principal too.

I'm especially proud because he didn't just skip - he skipped into a 4/5 class of gifted children (high output, no revision etc).

Yay for my DS.
    (I love that I can come here and brag).

Thanks

S
    S
    DS5 (close enough since he's almost 5) is really into math. I decided to get him a workbook recently since he is so into it and I was asked by his psychologist to "expose him" to more math. So I got him the 2A singapore mathbook. I asked him to go through it from start to finish and not skip all around. I went to look at it a week later and he says "uh oh mom...I just wanted to say that I skipped to excercise 62" He went to the end of the book and did the work. Apparently the book is way to easy for him. I even skipped to different parts of it and showed him word problems involving multiplication and said "look, this one is more difficult" and he read it quickly and answered it. So now he has gone to 2B, which I think is pretty easy for him too. He is really into factors and fractions lately. And when I was so excited that he finally liked a cartoon on TV, I found out it was about Math (cyberchase). LOL. He keeps things interesting.

DD2 talks constantly now in sentences. She corrected my grammer the other day. she saw a boy as we were driving and she said "I see the boy" As we passed I repeated "you see the boy?" and she said "no...I SAW the boy" yikes. Looks like I am in for some fun with her as well. AND she just turned 2 and has recently decided to potty train herself. It's quite bizarre because we haven't been doing anything other then showing her a potty and giving her pullups. In fact, I had been wanting her to hold off until I can potty train her this summer as I will be home with her, but she didn't want to wait. She loves to go on the potty and hates to get wet now (she especially loves to get an m&m each time she goes).

Tory - great news! That is such a relief, I'm sure smile

Shellymos - has your son checked out 'crashbox'? It is pretty fun for quick math puzzles, verbal puzzles, etc. (tv show on hbo)

S
    S
    I will have to check that out Chris, I don't know lots of things that are on TV so that is helpful. I think we tried out Cyberchase because I heard someone else on here say there kids liked it (although I didn't know it had to do with Math). He also apparently has watched the local homework help show when he is waiting for us to pick him up. LOL, that would be so incredibly boring to me, but whatever floats your boat. ; )

B
    B
    DD13 got published in our paper, out of 1000's of entries!

Page 40 of 268 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM