Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 39 of 268 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 267 268
    F
    F
    DS7 and I went to an amusement park today. This is maybe the third time ever he went on the boat ride. As the guide introduced all the miniature buildings along the shore, ds, my very outspoken extrovert, announced, "This is made from 120,000 bricks," and "this one is made from 82,000 bricks," and "this one is made from 138,000 bricks." (I am making up the numbers. I don't have the kind of WMI ds has) People in the boat started making comments of how knowledgeable ds was, while his introvert mother, me, was trying find a place to hide.

Last edited by fangcyn; 05/22/09 10:48 PM.

Cindi
    Last Friday, the babysitter had just left and DW had to answer the call of nature. She and Mr W were in the bathroom by the front door, when the babysitter came back. She came in and saw DW sitting there.

Mr W looked at Mrs E and DW, who were staring at each other, and said, "UUUUUUHHH OOOOH"

--
    DW took Mr W (16mo) to the mall Saturday.

There was a huge banner in front of one of the stores.

Mr W looked up at it, pointed at each letter, and sounded each one out.

I notice he looks very closely at every printed thing he sees now.

--

He asked a question in front of a close friend this weekend, who was talking about cars. "What is a Mercedes?" and my friend just about fell over.

T
    TMJ Offline
    T
    DS3 had been talking to Grandma on the phone, using the speaker. As they started to say their goodbyes, DD16mos ran in and frantically asked "Push the red button?" [Are you hanging up?]. Before I could respond she grabbed the phone and said "Bye Grandma. Now I need to say goodbye to Ye ye." A bit confused, my mother then asked who DD was talking about. DS3 helpfully explained to us that "she means she wants to talk to Grandpa - Ye ye is chinese for grandpa, you know. It's what Kai-lan calls her Grandfather and she really loves that show."

Well, of course! Makes perfect sense for a 16mo to use a Chinese term (from a TV show she watches once a week) in a completely english-speaking household... to DS3 it does, at least crazy

Mr W loves Kai-Lan as well.

He says "Ni-Hao" to every Oriental person he meets.

M
    M
    Frenchie has taken to pointing out rhetorical figures to the lads when he's reading them stories (can't keep an old English major down!). Last night, their novel included examples of a chiasmus and a synecdoche, so he explained those. Chico (still not quite 4) thought it would be fun to combine the two, pondered a moment, and came up with "Daddy's a good soul, a good soul is Daddy," which I thought was a pretty creditable attempt for his age! (Not to mention very apt personality analysis!)

peace
    minnie

Last edited by minniemarx; 06/06/09 08:40 AM. Reason: I talk too much...
    Minnimarx and Austin - your kids just wow me everytime I read a new story! Good souls all around smile

We have a pretty good one - ds8 put up his first ROCKET today at the novaar launch, which they do about every month or two in a nearby field.
    I think he was pretty pooped from the hike he took with boy scouts this morning (another nice first for him and dh, actually!) so he was getting a bit cranky towards the end.

He built the rocket from an estes kit about 2 months ago and we've been waiting for another launch date. The first go was perfect, straight up, very high and the parachute popped perfectly. I don't think he really understood that it was a bit of an achievement for an 8 year old to do all this pretty well on this own...The folks running it were asking a few questions, 'Did he build it himself, etc.' They had a nice certificate they were able to give to him for his first official launch.
    He had a bit of a hike on the first launch, but the second one, came down nearly in his lap and everyone thought that was really great! He thought it was wonderful he didn't have to take another hike wink
    A very fun time, a nice bunch of people. Very encouraging.

B
    B
    we went to the Western Washington state CTY awards today, and were quite surprised to find DS9 listed as being one of the recipients of the 2009 Top of the Country Award for Quantitative, grade 3.

we had no idea! (well, we knew he had only missed one question) and DS9 was quite proud of himself, which is good because we had the Saturday morning lazies and almost didn't go.

I do wish we'd known to ask for the 4th grade test, as this was so obviously easy for him (took the whole thing in 40 minutes, max) oh well!

This is actually a very interesting situtation for me, as I find it difficult to call people and let them know, as I'm sure there would be some comparisons with their kids ...

B
    B
    Nothing great, but......
    Our math teacher informed my daughter on the last day of school that she should join MATHCOUNTS next year because she got the highest score in the grade (of 300 kids) on the MAP test in Math..... I say this is great because we come from a district who repeatedly has the highest scores in the state on TAKS tests, and things of that sort, so having the brightest kid by a fairly large margin in those situations is mighty exciting! But she refuses to join mathcounts cause she thinks she will be called a nerd frown

B
    B
    [quote=Mia]

Oh, another brag, DD13 can now successfully solve the Rubik's Cube in about a minute!!!

M
    M
    Congratulations to dear children of Bassetlover, Barbara, and Chris! Lots of happy news this week!

Those rockets sound really fun, Chris--how great that the people were so nice, too, and that he had such a good time.

peace
    minnie

Page 39 of 268 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM