Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 19 of 268 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 267 268
    M
    M
    Chico (3) came up with a couple of funnies yesterday--we were waiting for Frenchie, who was in our local bakery getting bread; it was taking much longer than usual because there's a new employee there who likes to get into long discussions with customers about the excellence of their bread (it is good). Chico said, "I don't have time for all this fiddle faddle and folderol." Not terribly polite, I'm afraid (we're working on it!), but nobody but us heard him, so it was OK--and it was funny, because none of us ever uses those words--must have come up in a book that I don't remember.

Later, Groucho was talking about wanting a horse; Chico said he wanted a horse, too, but not a donkey, "and not Don Quixote, either," which I also found amusing.

Originally Posted by skyward
    Austin, ow. What happened. I hope she is ok.

The master bath has a island between the toilet and sink section with a cap that flares out. She bent over near the toilet and then walked forward to get something from behind the toilet. She forgot that the cap on the island sticks out and when she stood up, she hit it herself right behind the ear.

She had a very bad concussion when she was 23 that caused her to lose her visual photographic memory - and she still gets migraines so we are very concerned about any further hits to her head.

Mr W turned a year old AND learned to play the shell game last week.

I took three same-sized measuring cups and covered up his pacifier with one, then did the old sleight of hand by mixing them.

I then let him pick one.

He picked the correct one. Every. Time.

No matter how many mixes I did.

I showed DW and she got the wrong one and Mr W got the right one.

LOL.

Originally Posted by minniemarx
    Later, Groucho was talking about wanting a horse; Chico said he wanted a horse, too, but not a donkey, "and not Don Quixote, either," which I also found amusing.

LOL.

A neighbor has a Donkey. The little guy's name should be Don Quixote Houdini.

He likes to chase imaginary coyotes around. He shows up in the most unexpected places. And he is an escape artist!!

M
    M
    My goodness, Austin, you're going to have to keep an eye on that Mr. W!!! You don't want him to run away and join the circus....Maybe teach him blackjack next? smile

He sounds so much fun--and it sounds as though you and your wife have a lot of fun watching him do things--lovely!

peace
    minnie

I
    I
    At the children's museum we watched a presentation on the life of MLK. Afterwards the docent asked the children if there was anything else they knew about his life that wasn't covered in the movie.

DD6 and a boy who was around 9yo both raised their hands. The docent called on the little boy and he answered "Some man shot him with a gun." The docent then asked my daughter what she was going to say. Her answer: "I was going to say he was assassinated by James Earl Ray."

I was proud of her steel trap memory and honest answer, but at the same time I wanted to crawl under my seat. Do those overcoats come in children's sizes? blush

J
    J
    OK, proud mummy moment. Miss 4 looked at some early chapter books a few months back but they quickly went back in the cupboard because she was overwhelmed by the number of words on each page. She was put off because she didn't recognise some words and thought it was just too tricky. She had no desire to try *sigh* Today we were given some of the Aussie Nibbles books - early chapter books. And blow me done if she didn't sit down and read the whole first chapter!!! It has 8 chapters, and she figures she can finish it within the week. I just love the fact that she wanted to try!!! And she only needed minimal help!!! Their website says that the series is intended for early readers aged 4-9. Yee har...

OK back to the couch to wait for Obama (almost midnight down under...) jojo

M
    M
    Okay, this probably won't seem like a big deal to some of you, but I'm bursting with pride (and a touch of relief for DS since he's one to put a lot of pressure on himself).

DS7 won his school's first grade spelling bee. Doesn't sound like much to many of you, I'm sure. But when it was down to him and one other child, they gave them words from the 3rd-5th grade list that we'd never seen before to get a winner. He spelled words like SAFARI correctly, and then INFERNO to win. He told the tester that he didn't even know what inferno meant. He is sooooo happy, and I'm so happy for him. He's been asking when he could be in a spelling be since he was at least 4 years old.

And I'm very pleased to say that the other moms were really sweet. No comments that I must push him or anything. I still felt awkward, though, when they asked if we've ever had him tested because he's "SOOOO smart". I don't know why I feel guilty about it -- he IS smart. I guess I have to get over it.

But, for now, I'm just tickled for him.

~S

Congratulations to your son! I hope he enjoyed the experience!

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Congratulations!

XX

Page 19 of 268 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM