Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 37 of 268 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 267 268
    Originally Posted by VolcanoMom
    Yesterday I taught art in DS7's first grade classroom and the kids were making a Miro-like image with chalk on black paper. They were supposed to close their eyes and draw a squiggle. It was the most creative thing they had to do all year so I was excited to give the kids the opportunity. My son asked if I wanted to hear his story when he was done. I had just seen someone make a Sponge Bob character so I was very proud when he showed me his abstract spaceship. He said, "Here's my spaceship and I'm here in the cockpit. These are the stars around us and we're going to Mars (he had a big red circle like the one in the Miro picture we had talked about earlier). And now I have to add Mars's gravitational field here in gray." I love getting a glimpse of his thoughts and I wish he had kids in his school he could talk with about the things he likes - other than Star Wars.

That's a great mental picture of the world that he he has. Does he see number and letters in color, too?

V
    V
    I'm not sure, but I'll ask. I think if he did, he might have mentioned it when we were reading the Number Devil!

P
    P
    OMG, my 22month old DD just matched the mandarin symbol for five on Ni-hao, Kai-Lan. (think multiple choice, which one matches) She had not shown a lot of GT traits yet but that seems to be changing. Heck, she was barely talking till just recently. Still she gets very jealous if I practice writing with DS & not her. She makes the tightest most precise little scribbles, they are almost letter like. DH swears he has seen her manage an a & an e. This has the makings of a very wild ride!

I had a big heart swelling I am so proud of my daughter moment last night. DD 2 1/2 has always been a little shy out in public and though she has been coming out of her shell a little at a time she still seems to hang back and follow other kids' leads. She has some friends her age and I notice that while around them she dummies herself down in her verbals... shortening her sentences to 2 or 3 word sentences b/c that is how they talk but she still has fun with them. Last night we went to dinner at a restaurant that has a playground out on the deck. When we got there there were 2 girls that were quite a bit older than DD playing on the equipment but when she went out on the playground they were headed back to their seats. DD of her own choice ran over to them and asked if they would be her friends and then asked if they would come and play with her. And they did. It was so exciting to watch her out there holding her own with the kids that were about 8 to 10 years older than her. She hanging out with them I noticed her vocabulary was in normal range for her ability so no dummying down and her physical ability as she tried what they were doing seemed to increase. I guess she just needed someone to show her some new tricks.

So mommy was very proud of DD ... that was a huge step for her to go out of her way to ask them to be her friends and play with her.

Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    So mommy was very proud of DD ... that was a huge step for her to go out of her way to ask them to be her friends and play with her.

That is great!!

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Katelyn'sMom what a lovely post and a big achievement for your DD! smile

Mia Offline
    Holy NWEA MAP growth, Batman!

DS-almost-7, first grade, had his MAP testing over the past week, and I asked him about it today (he had his last one, math, today). I love that the computer screen flashes the score when the kids are done -- DS remembers stuff like that and he happily reports back. laugh

Last spring math: 190 (>99 percentile for Kers, 86-87 percentile for first graders)
    This spring math, according to DS: 225!? (>99 percentile for second graders, 97th percentile for third graders, 83-84 percentile for fourth graders!)

Last spring reading: 178 (97 percentile for Kers, 66-68 percentile for first graders)
    This spring reading, according to DS: 206 (this one's not as impressive as the math -- >99 percentile for first graders, 90th percentile for second graders)

Assuming he's reporting accurately (he did last year wink ), I'm impressed! Go get 'em, DS! And here I was thinking I should show him some example questions (he wasn't interested and I didn't bother pushing it).

Take *that*, public-school-that-wouldn't-put-him-in-first-grade-math-last-year! mad No wonder he's happier at school this year -- he's actually learning while he's there. Fancy that, learning at school!

I'm a proud mama. cool

Mia
    YEAH Mia's DS!!!!! I"m glad he's in a good situation now!

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Great news Mia smile

That's awesome! So glad he's happy!

Neato

Page 37 of 268 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM